Favorite Martial Arts Movies

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Thanks. That is it. I think I mostly liked it because of its cinematography. And I always enjoyed Toshiro Mifune's acting.

Awesome. My teacher's teacher choreographed the sword work on many of Kurosawa's films, like Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Inagaki's Musashi trilogy.

Recently I've enjoyed Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade, Love and Honor. Ame Agaru ("After the Rain") was awesome too.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
is it a fictional movie or a documentary?

Documentary. It's hard not to get pumped up when watching it. Makes you want to run to the dojo and train your butt off.

For fictional, I like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Snatch, Return of the Dragon and Tough and Deadly.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
Documentary. It's hard not to get pumped up when watching it. Makes you want to run to the dojo and train your butt off.

For fictional, I like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Snatch, Return of the Dragon and Tough and Deadly.
If you can find it online I'll check it out

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How could I possibly forget...

Fighting Black Kings

It’s a documentary on the first world full contact karate open tournament (Kyokushin). Horrible editing, Kyokushin propaganda film, and more. But it just works. I’m biased as I know a few people in it, but still.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite MA movie is Fearless, with Jet Li.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also massively enjoy Bloodsport and Best Of The Best, cheesy at they may be :p

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve watched the entire Cobra Kai series twice now. Probably going to binge watch it once or twice more before I cancel my YouTube Red account. I forgot to cancel it before the free trial was up, so I’ll wait until a day before the next bill.

I know it’s not a movie, but it still counts.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You could probably do a good thesis, on the cultural effects of the Bruce Lee movies, at least in the UK they Had a profound And long lasting effect on 14 yo, the problem being once you reach a slightly greater level of maturity, they Are just awful
I say that “slightly greater level of maturity” is right around puberty. Same as cartoons, Iron Maiden, etc. Some don’t move on though. It reminds me of a short conversation I had with my younger brother a year or two ago. A radio controlled car racing place opened up and we drove by it. He said “weren’t you into that stuff back in the day?” I said “yeah, until I started trying to get laid.” Comical, yet true. Same for cartoons, Iron Maiden, Bruce Lee movies, and a few other things for me.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen all the Ip Man movies, The Perfect Weapon with Jeff Speakman, many Bruce Lee movies, some Jackie Chan stuff which I'm not crazy about.
I want to watch a good martial arts movie I haven t seen yet. I prefer it to be in English but if it's a good enough movie, I'll read subtitles.
What's everyone's favorites?
Since the old Bloodsport, I cannot name one. I think martial art movies are made for non practicionners, so they need flashy stuff to get people impressed. Actual art is in the little details, quite invisible, doesn’t make movies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since the old Bloodsport, I cannot name one. I think martial art movies are made for non practicionners, so they need flashy stuff to get people impressed. Actual art is in the little details, quite invisible, doesn’t make movies.

What a great point.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Got Numerous, Enter The Dragon, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Rumble in the Bronx, Police Story Saga, New Police Story, Romeo Must Die, Drunken Master Saga.

As you can tell I'm a huge Van Damne, Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee Fan.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
How could I possibly forget...

Fighting Black Kings

It’s a documentary on the first world full contact karate open tournament (Kyokushin). Horrible editing, Kyokushin propaganda film, and more. But it just works. I’m biased as I know a few people in it, but still.
Fiiiiinally got around to watching this. Really cool movie! Apart from the cheesy music and edits :p, I enjoyed it. Was so cool seeing all the greats in the one tournament: Royama, William Oliver, Sato, Howard Collins, Ninomiya, Martin. Love Oliver's style of fighting so much, his quickness, agility and technique are incredible.

I also loved how alot of the guys did their training mostly in their gis (unless that was purely for the movie [emoji14] ).

And was refreshing to see that it wasn't just two young guns charging in like bulls and just alternating left right punches like so many competitors you see today.. there was thought, strategy, patience and timing. As well as really nice to see all the kicks being thrown!

Latest Discussions