Questions from a total beginner to MA

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kacey said:
Welcome, and good luck in your search. To add to the comments about trying several schools, some things to look out for: do they let you try a class free (good sign); let you talk to the students before/after class (good sign); take the time to talk to you (good sign); have high up-front costs for gear (bad sign); let you watch a class (good sign), etc. There are lots of good schools out there, and also bad ones - if you feel comfortable in the workout facility, and the students seem happy, engaged, and comfortable, then you've found a good facility - after that, it's a matter of finding a style that suits you. Good luck with your search!
I used to suggest that any school that wouldn't let a student try it for free might be in it more for the money...

Unfortunately, the modern age of insurance requirements has changed this. Under the insurance policy that we have where I teach, you wouldn't be covered until you were formally signed up and paid... It's awkward, and I'm glad my partner handles the money side of things, but it's a reality. You're welcome to observe the class...but we can't risk a litigous sort getting hurt and not being covered, either!

OP
B

btc

White Belt
Reaction score
@Xue Sheng: Great, will take a look at those first.

@jks9199: Aye thats too bad, but I understand the institution that teaches the MA has to protect themselves. Fortunately I have my own health insurance so that wouldn't be an issue.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
btc said:

@jks9199: Aye thats too bad, but I understand the institution that teaches the MA has to protect themselves. Fortunately I have my own health insurance so that wouldn't be an issue.
It's not health care that I'm worried about... It's the simple possiblity of being sued because someone got hurt. I'm sure we've all seen someone get hurt just doing a simple, theoretically safe solo drill or form when they step down a little wrong or just plain slip. Or seen someone get hurt while holding a pad... I'm not even going to risks involved in sparring or partner drills. My association recently obtained insurance coverage, and one of the conditions is that ALL participants must be covered by it.

The bottom line is simple. It's the same rationale I use at work. I like my stuff. I worked hard for it. I picked it out and chose it. I don't want to have to give it to someone else in a law suit!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Sorry this is off post but I just noticed this.

The North Shore!!! I grew up in West Peabody.

Hehehehehehe - you don't know how close you are my friend :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
btc said:

BTC, I have also heard some very good things about the Tai Chi school in China town. If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM within the next day or so with one or two other ideas :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jks9199 said:
It's not health care that I'm worried about... It's the simple possiblity of being sued because someone got hurt. I'm sure we've all seen someone get hurt just doing a simple, theoretically safe solo drill or form when they step down a little wrong or just plain slip. Or seen someone get hurt while holding a pad... I'm not even going to risks involved in sparring or partner drills. My association recently obtained insurance coverage, and one of the conditions is that ALL participants must be covered by it.

The bottom line is simple. It's the same rationale I use at work. I like my stuff. I worked hard for it. I picked it out and chose it. I don't want to have to give it to someone else in a law suit!

And a wise move that is. Although there may be ways around that, such as signing up for, say $20/class. Whether you collect on the 20 is your business. And that assumes you want to find a way around it. Your business, your call :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Hehehehehehe - you don't know how close you are my friend :)

Actually how close I was.... Now I am much closer to the Adirondacks than the North Shore and I have been away so long no one even tells me I have an accent anymore :)

Reaction score
hi and welcome to martial talk , try muay thai out , its (in a lot of peoples opinions) the best form of self defence , itsa a great sport , and some gyms work you really hard , an hour and a half of good training is exelent for fitness , and best of all , it never gets boring

hope i helped

chris

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know a good piece of advice I think would be to watch how the students act around each other and if they as a group have a general positive vibe.

OP
B

btc

White Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
BTC, I have also heard some very good things about the Tai Chi school in China town. If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM within the next day or so with one or two other ideas :)

Cool, will check that out first. Been out of town past fews days without net access. Feel free to PM me, and I'll respond asap. This weekend is looking to be pretty hectic.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
if your looking for a hard workout takew up ju jitsu or a fast pace MA workout, a slow one would be, aikido.

Latest Discussions