Question about hakama

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
How importante is the hakama (skirt) in aikido? I feel it's a nice touch but I think is a little impractical too. Can an aikidoka train just in the judogi/gi (jacket and pants)?

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a carry-over from Japanese culture when hakama were standard garb. O'Sensei reportedly was very stern about its wear and refused to let students take the floor who were not suitably dressed.

In current practice, at least in the United States, hakama are worn only by yudansha. Some schools also permit kyu-level women to wear the hakama. Anyone else just dons the jacket and pants. Actually in my wife's dojo, a few of the black belts also forgo the hakama since it can be hot in our climate.

As for practicality, there are many aspects of aikido that could be viewed as impractical. And that's fine. It is intended to be more than a collection of fighting techniques.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, up here hakama are for shodans and above, everyone else just wears a jacket and pants. I don't practice aikido, but in kenjitsu, jodo, kendo and iaido a hakama in required basically from when you get serious to forever.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

There are various reasons that the hakama was/is worn, and why O Sensei was so definate on it being worn properly. For one, as mentioned, it was the wear for higher ranked members of society (not peasants, farmers etc, so not completely standard wear.... but for those people of stature, who included obviously the samurai and the nobility, it is what would be worn). But there are other meanings which can be read into the apparel as well.

The hakama (as I'm sure everyone here is aware) is a pleated wide trouser, sometimes refered to as a split-skirt. There is some slight variation between hakama for men and women, as well as preferences for the lengths from art to art, but what I shall deal with here are the pleats themselves, as they are representative of various things (according to who is teaching you....)

The most common interpretations focus on the 5 pleats on the front. There are a couple of ways these are interpreted, and they are often refered to as gotoku, or the 5 virtues. These show that the wearer (in Aikido, a Yudansha) is representative of all 5 virtues in one person, as achieved through dedication to an art (in this case, Aikido). These five virtues are:

Chu -Loyalty
Ko - Justice
Jin - Humanity (or compassion)
Gi - Honour
Rei - Respect.

An alternate also includes the two pleats on the back, giving seven, which is considered a lucky number. The seven pleats is also used to refer to the seven virtues of Bushido/Budo. They are:

Jin - Benevolence
Gi - Honour, Justice
Rei - Courtesy and Respect
Chi - Wisdom, and Intelligence
Shin - Sincerity
Chu - Loyalty
Koh - Piety

So a big part of wearing the hakama is showing dedication to the art, dedication towards the perfection of yourself, and a dedication to the virtues represented. For these reasons (what the hakama represents), it should be treated with respect itself, which is why there are specific methods of caring for and carrying the hakama, specific ways of folding it, and so on.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have heard another reason and that is it partially conceals the movement of the feet.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have heard another reason and that is it partially conceals the movement of the feet.

I know of one school of swordsmanship that got rid of the hakama in the dojo for precisely those reasons. As instructors they want to be able to both demonstrate and see the footwork of their students. They still wear them to outside functions though.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am yet to wear one in class. I am still trying to learn to tie it and when I finally get it right I am horrible at rolling with it on. I tend to get some how step on it when I am getting and fall over again. Still practicing at it thou.

-Gary

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

There are various reasons that the hakama was/is worn, and why O Sensei was so definate on it being worn properly. For one, as mentioned, it was the wear for higher ranked members of society (not peasants, farmers etc, so not completely standard wear.... but for those people of stature, who included obviously the samurai and the nobility, it is what would be worn). But there are other meanings which can be read into the apparel as well.

The hakama (as I'm sure everyone here is aware) is a pleated wide trouser, sometimes refered to as a split-skirt. There is some slight variation between hakama for men and women, as well as preferences for the lengths from art to art, but what I shall deal with here are the pleats themselves, as they are representative of various things (according to who is teaching you....)

The most common interpretations focus on the 5 pleats on the front. There are a couple of ways these are interpreted, and they are often refered to as gotoku, or the 5 virtues. These show that the wearer (in Aikido, a Yudansha) is representative of all 5 virtues in one person, as achieved through dedication to an art (in this case, Aikido). These five virtues are:

Chu -Loyalty
Ko - Justice
Jin - Humanity (or compassion)
Gi - Honour
Rei - Respect.

An alternate also includes the two pleats on the back, giving seven, which is considered a lucky number. The seven pleats is also used to refer to the seven virtues of Bushido/Budo. They are:

Jin - Benevolence
Gi - Honour, Justice
Rei - Courtesy and Respect
Chi - Wisdom, and Intelligence
Shin - Sincerity
Chu - Loyalty
Koh - Piety

So a big part of wearing the hakama is showing dedication to the art, dedication towards the perfection of yourself, and a dedication to the virtues represented. For these reasons (what the hakama represents), it should be treated with respect itself, which is why there are specific methods of caring for and carrying the hakama, specific ways of folding it, and so on.
Yes quite true, thanks Chris for the helpful information, I remember in my old Aikido days only advance students above the rank of shodan were allowed to wear a hakama and there was a great deal of practice that took place just learning the folds which came way before you advanced to that level. I also remember a senior instructor saying that the reason they wore it was to conceal their footwork, but I like your explaination better.
"Always try to think outside the Traditional Box"

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
footwork is only one of many signs of what someone is about to do. Shifting of bodyweight, and the movement of the hips is a more telltale sign.
You don't need to watch the feet to see if someone is doing a movement correctly.
During practice, hakama should be 4-6 inches above your feet anyway, but if sensei really wants to show us foot work, he'll hike up his hakama and tuck it in, and then show us.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How importante is the hakama (skirt) in aikido? I feel it's a nice touch but I think is a little impractical too. Can an aikidoka train just in the judogi/gi (jacket and pants)?

Manny
It depends on the style of Aikido you practise. In Iwama and aikikai Aikido, Hakama is emphasized, especially for yudansha. O'sensei would be annoyed at some who arrived at the dojo without it, claiming that they were training in their underwear.

In Tomiki and Yoshinkan Aikido the hakama is emphasized less and sometimes not worn at all.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are many levels to the question you asked. Mostly these refer to the umanori..or divided hakama (divided in the leg..vice a no-kidding skirt).

Chris made a good post pointing out some of the virtues related to each pleat in the hakama. This concept is known as GoJo or the five virtues. The ones Chris pointed out are a little bit different than the ones my group uses...but the differences are negligible...its like maybe one or two words difference. Different groups have different ways in which they view the back two pleats...some count it as one, some don't count them, and some recognize them as two that make one. Understand, this is based on the hakama as a garment worn by samurai. Their original intent was as a ridding chap protecting the rider's legs from brush and other elements. Since horse ownership was rare, it was generally relegated to samurai..hence the connection. Here's our view of the pleats:

GoJo or five virtues (sometimes gotaku, I think...but we don't use that term)
Makoto (sincerity/honesty), Gi (wisdom), Rei (respect/etiquette/how to behave), Yuki (courage/valor/bravery), Jin (humanity/charity/kindness). These five virtues act as a shield to protect us from vices that could stray us on our path to service, virtue, enlightenment. All of these virtues were important to the samurai. These virtues were all considered to be interconnected, so that without sincerity or wisdom, etiquette is impossible; without courage, benevolence cannot be offered. These were reminders for how a samurai should live.

Go Rin, or the five relationships dominant in a samurai's life. Samurai were required to classify all the relationships in their life...if that relationship did not fit in these five appropriate classifications, the samurai was to discard the relationship as unnecessary and distracting to one's duty. These relationships hare listed in order of importance; Lord/Vassal (a cause or higher self/inner spirit); Father/son (teacher/student); Husband/wife; Young/old; Friends...in that order of importance. It was a requirement for samurai that one of the lower relationships did not interfere with a higher one....the importance that nothing interfere with higher levels of obligation necessitated the development of this concept.

The back two pleats we call Chuko Ichi Go as the two make one pleat. These represent loyalty (chugi) and humility (not sure...maybe meiyo...which means honor, hence honorable to be humble). These virtues are behind us and help push us forward when we encounter difficulties on our path. Loyalty to one's lord/master, family, teachers and friends were more important than one's life itself. Humility in all relationships was equally important..more so than simple fighting ability. These attributes remain behind the samurai to push them forward, to develop and grow.

The five pleats also represent the five relationships, or Go Rin,

That's enough for the pleats.

Wearing the hakama. Perhaps the idea of a hakama as a status symbol probably derived from the fact that typically samurai wore them. This may be why it is sometimes a symbol of rank in most aikido organizations. While hakama certainly could be said as a status symbol...the original idea of the garment was utilitarian and not intended as such. As noted, most schools allow or demand Yudansha wear hakama. Yoshinkan aikido...what I study...typically only have the person teaching class wear a hakama (one can get a teaching license at first kyu) regardless of rank. Also, a yondan or higher rank can wear hakama whenever they choose (we have a few yondan and higher in a given class that aren't teaching it and I don't think I've ever seen them wear one). Hakama, in our school, is also sometimes worn for special occasions; just recently our teacher began encouraging everyone to wear them at instructor's meetings. For Yoshinkan aikido...this comes from the birth of this particular branch of aikido. After WW2, Ueshiba Sensei sent Shioda Sensei to participate in a demonstration. Shioda Sensei took first place and impressed Japanese government officials who made Yoshinkan aikido an official martial art of the government. Yoshinkan aikido was then taught to government workers, military, police, and the emperor's guard. Because Yoshinkan aikido was so new, there were very few instructors...but many students, gymnasiums full of military and police (maybe 3 or 4 instructors for 150+ students). Because of this, only the teachers wore hakama to make them easily identifiable...and also so the students legs were shown so corrections could be made while the instructors were standing on a stage with a megaphone yelling out instructions (seriously...this is also why Yoshinkan aikido basic techniques are broken down step-by-step like mini kata...so it was easier to teach and correct). Sorry, little bit of long-winded history on my part.

An idea of hakama was to hide the foot/leg movement and orientation of weight to a certain degree. This goes back to swordsman seeking an edge in battle (mostly duels).

Another idea relating hakama to rank is that movement is a bit harder to do in the hakama. The person wearing this garment has to be more aware of whats going on in his/her leg area...thus something worn be someone with more rank/experience in aikido. So, a kind of awareness training.

I am sure I am missing something...but that's all I can remember right now. Any questions, please let me know..as these are things I need to think about as I can be asked them by my teacher!

Osu!

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry some of the above doesn't make grammatical sense...I just got off work but can't sleep b/c its so bright out, plus I wrote this while trying to make breakfast...so I know some things are not in order.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Comment in passing ...
An idea of hakama was to hide the foot/leg movement and orientation of weight to a certain degree. This goes back to swordsman seeking an edge in battle (mostly duels).
I have had this idea totally refuted on two separate occasions by two different heads of koryu sword schools. One told me that it is a good idea for an instructor to watch the feet of the very newest students, but if you are a swordsman and notice your opponents feet you will die, since his feet aren't carrying the sword. :) The other told me that the samurai would typically hike their hakama up (momodachi) to get it out of the way when engaging in sword use, thus negating any hiding of the feet.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the foot thing...seems odd, but I've noticed when watching people do technique with hakama on its hard to tell what their legs/knees are doing sometimes. I say I like it b/c its harder for my teacher to see me forget to straighten my back leg!

Asking someone specifics about this is tricky as these things changed throughout the years. During meetings of nobles...especially in front of the emperor, there was a period of time where hakama were incredibly long like a wedding train and everyone had to kneel. This was done both for respect and to prevent someone from assassinating someone else (I'm guessing many of these guys were alpha types and argued heatedly). There was also a period where hakama were gathered at the bottom similar to military persons' bloused boots (sans the boots). So I guess it depends on who you ask. One master says "look in eye" others say "never look in eye." etc etc. Anyway...we tend not to wear hakama to facilitate instruction.

slink

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been to seminars at Aikido schools other than my own and everyone there was wearing a hakama. As far as the people that I have actually studied with hakama are typically only worn for special events and are generally considered to be more trouble to deal with than they are worth.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my Yoshinkan school, generally only the person teaching class or/and 4th dan and up wear hakama. Its generally rare for two people to be wearing hakama at the same class unless its an instructors meeting or advanced class (or seminar). At instructors' meetings all yudansha wear hakama now...but this is new for us, we've been doing it for maybe 4 or 5 years. Since my organization has both Yoshinkan and Aikikai style dojo in it, whenever we go to a seminar everyone's always asking in the changing room "dude, we wearing hakama today?" Its kinda funny, you think we'd figure out to ask beforehand by now.

For a more practical purpose...Yoshinkan instructors first began wearing hakama when they were granted rights to teach the imperial guard, police, and military of Japan. Gozo Shioda had very few senior students at that time...and those government class sizes were huge, so only the instructors wore hakama to help students and teacher assistants identify each other (though the students were formed up rank and file and given student numbers).

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Comment in passing ...

I have had this idea totally refuted on two separate occasions by two different heads of koryu sword schools. One told me that it is a good idea for an instructor to watch the feet of the very newest students, but if you are a swordsman and notice your opponents feet you will die, since his feet aren't carrying the sword. :) The other told me that the samurai would typically hike their hakama up (momodachi) to get it out of the way when engaging in sword use, thus negating any hiding of the feet.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Although you don't look at the feet directly, you do notice any movement of the feet in your pheripheral vision. :asian:

B'Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
I've practiced Aikikai style of Aikido and in our dojo Sensei could and sometime did give premission to 3rd kyu and above premission to wear a hakama. But a Shodan had to wear it.

It was not to hide feet, Sensei always knew what my feet were doing anyways. but mostly to bring attention to your center or hara. Because of the way a hakama gets tied in Aikido there are two separate belts (front and back) that create a knot (if done prpoerly) right about your center.

In Iaido this is different the front belt gets tied in the back and the rear belt gets tied in the front. BTW, in Iaido everyone wears a hakama from day one.

There is also back piece (the name escapes me right now) that helps to remind the wearer to keep their back straight and in a proper posture.

As far as height of the hakama goes it is more a matter of personal preference. I like mine low about an inch or so off the mat in bare feet. Some people like it much higher. (I always think of high water pants when I see that). Wearing is a bit hotter during the summer (think misogi), but nice and warm in the winter.

Ukemi does take some practice, even tasabki (sp?) walking /moving takes practice in a hakama. But wearing the hakama has made my Aikido stronger, better and smoother.

This, I believe, are the reasons of most of the teachers in our style.

Sorry for the long post, Best Regards

citom

White Belt
Reaction score
Shigenobu Okumura Shihan (9th Dan Aikikai) once stated in an interview why wearing a hakama at shodan became the practice at Aikikai Hombu after World War II:
"In postwar Japan many things were hard to get, including cloth. Because of the shortages, we trained without hakama. We tried to make hakama from air-raid blackout curtains but because the curtains had been hanging in the sun for years, the knees turned to dust as soon as we started doing suwariwaza. We were constantly patching these hakama. It was under those conditions that someone came up with a suggestion: "Why don't we just say that it's okay not to wear a hakama until you're shodan?" This idea was put forward as a temporary policy to avoid expense. The idea behind accepting the suggestion had nothing to do with the hakama being a symbol for dan ranking."
http://www.aikidofaq.com/misc/hakama.html