but the differences among the kenpo leaders and seniors come
into light during the "what ifs" ?

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

what do you have for an accent mark?

:asian:

Would anyone care to share what an accent mark is exactly? I think I know, I just need clarification.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPO_CORY
What is an accent mark exactly?

As I refer to it.... it is a bit of extra knowledge that one may miss during the main stream of motion. A sometimes "hidden" meaning or strike that one may miss the first time around during a technique.

I also refer to it sometimes as a point to exaggerate or punctuate heavily.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

As I refer to it.... it is a bit of extra knowledge that one may miss during the main stream of motion. A sometimes "hidden" meaning or strike that one may miss the first time around during a technique.

I also refer to it sometimes as a point to exaggerate or punctuate heavily.

Thank you Mr. Conatser. :D

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
So for the most part, are kenpoists taught techs the same way,
but the differences among the kenpo leaders and seniors come
into light during the "what ifs" ?

It depends upon the differences........ lol...... you need to be specific. In general I believe many of the differences are in the many different ways (what if's possibly) to do certain techniques, but more importantly are statements made concerning definitions, specific curriculums, credibility of certain individuals that may have helped Mr. Parker evolve his Art at different time periods, and other current material that Ed Parker used at the time of his passing. Certain individuals believe that they are the only ones that really knows this material and how it should be taught regardless of who else has studied with Ed Parker and for how long is not a consideration, as he didn't teach anyone other than them correctly. So unless you agree with exactly with all of what they say you are not on track with the right material.

So, no it goes way deeper than just the sequential order of the techniques unfortunately.

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
If one of your children had to learn kenpo and you couldn't teach them, who would you send them too?

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by eternalwhitebelt
If one of your children had to learn kenpo and you couldn't teach them, who would you send them too?

I would without a doubt send them to Steve LaBounty. As well as learning the Art from an Iron Workers view point he also instills great values, responsibilities, ethics, honor, correct basics, proper American Kenpo Technique and other invaluable traits that I would want my boys to learn.

I also would want them to be exposed to John Sepulveda, Skip Hancock, Paul Mills, Bob Liles, Bob White, and Huk Planas to round out their skills and get varying points of view.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

I just found this Thread. This forum/site is like a City! I may never see it all.

I heard last year that there were 9 Master key moves. I have not heard anything else about what or how many Master Key's there are until now.

Are there Master Key moves, or techniques or both?

Is that list with Intellectual Departure, Circle of Doom... a Family Grouping? I have never had Intellectual Departure, but I know Circle of Doom and Rotating Destruction. I was told that Intellectual Departure was removed from the Yellow Belt Curriculum because it was too hard for beginners to get. I was told that Mr. Parker had it in there and he is the one that also took it out.

Truly this is an Excellent Thread.
:cool:
Sir, I'm reposting this question because it got lost on page 5. There are 3 of them there. I will resubmit them all here for you.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Sir,

Can you tell the story of why some techniques have extensions/how they are grouped.

I mean that I have heard that there are no extensions for the Brown Belt Techniques because of the way the original techniques were grouped.

I heard that Mr. Kelly had orginally intended/developed the Brown Belt material for 1st-3rd Black so that the extensions began right after Green but that someone then later re-ordered these charts after Mr. Kelly put them together. I also heard that Mr. Kelly was not pleased with this.

I hope this is a worthy question for this thread.
Sir, this is 2 of 3. I hope I'm not compounding an error by resubmitting these 3 back-to-back again.
:)

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Sir,

Is there anyone out there who moves a lot like Mr. Parker so that by seeing them in action we may have a better understanding of how Mr. Parker looked in action?

If Mr. Parker doesn't have a "twin" then who would you say is closest? Or is there no one because Mr. Parker encouraged everyone to tailor the art to themselves?

BTW, you having Mr. Kelly do a technique on you at Mr. Duffy's camp last year was maybe the coolest thing I've ever seen. Those films of the Internationals that we all watched at breakfast were kind of hard to see from my table.
3 of 3, sir.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok Mister million and one questions........ ps do you have an instructor? hee hee j/k

I heard last year that there were 9 Master key moves.

No, there are 10

Are there Master Key moves, or techniques or both?

There are 10 Master Key Techniques...... however there are also Master Key drills and other master keys...... such as basics, forms etc.

Is that list with Intellectual Departure, Circle of Doom... a Family Grouping? I have never had Intellectual Departure, but I know Circle of Doom and Rotating Destruction.

yes

I was told that Intellectual Departure was removed from the Yellow Belt Curriculum because it was too hard for beginners to get. I was told that Mr. Parker had it in there and he is the one that also took it out.

Intellectual Departure was replaced by Sword and Hammer which was a much easier technique for the beginning student. Intellectual Departure was deemed too sophisticated for that belt and was replaced. Yes, Mr. Parker did make the move. Do you think anybody could tell him what to do? lol He agreed with the ideas and changed the curriculum at that time.

Why do some techniques have extensions/how they are grouped.

I heard that Mr. Kelly had orginally intended/developed the Brown Belt material for 1st-3rd Black so that the extensions began right after Green but that the charts were later re-configured after Mr. Kelly put them together.

I also heard that Mr. Kelly was not pleased with this.

When I started with Mr. Parker we had 32 Techniques for Orange, Purple, Blue, & Green Belts. No Brown or Black techniques. Mr. Parker was trying to "Franchise" and pull back in many of the existing Kenpo studios out there and one of the things needed was a business plan or a good curriculum. It didn't look good with just techniques up thru only Green belt so it was necessary to expand the curriculum, which is what he did.

Do you think it really mattered if Tom Kelly or anyone else was upset with the expansion...... after all whose system was it..... come on!!!

Is there anyone out there who moves a lot like Mr. Parker so that by seeing them in action we may have a better understanding of how Mr. Parker looked in action?

Well this is a loaded question....... I think there are a lot of guys that look "sorta" like Mr. Parker to some degree however, he was truly unique and really HIS STYLE was ALL HIS OWN, lol many of us try to emulate what we saw and felt.

If Mr. Parker doesn't have a "twin" then who would you say is closest? Or is there no one because Mr. Parker encouraged everyone to tailor the art to themselves?

As far as looks go...... His brother David is very close to his looks soooooooo close in fact that many will pass out if they see him!!!

As far as the ART goes........ No.... none fills those shoes in my opinion.

[/B][/QUOTE]
BTW, you having Mr. Kelly do a technique on you at Mr. Duffy's camp last year was maybe the coolest thing I've ever seen.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just wanted you guys to see him move a little..... he's impressive.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Ok Mister million and one questions........ ps do you have an instructor? hee hee j/k

Yes, and has very good taste in Kenpo buddies.
Thank you for everything.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I started with Mr. Parker we had 32 Techniques for Orange, Purple, Blue, & Green Belts. No Brown or Black techniques. Mr. Parker was trying to "Franchise" and pull back in many of the existing Kenpo studios out there and one of the things needed was a business plan or a good curriculum. It didn't look good with just techniques up thru only Green belt so it was necessary to expand the curriculum, which is what he did.

I guess this answers my question of why do the extensions begin at orange and not yellow.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
I guess this answers my question of why do the extensions begin at orange and not yellow.

Yellow was originally designed for children only, but it was so popular that it was added to the adults curriculum as well as a stand alone belt for the beginners.

However, today for my black belt candidates, I ask them to make up extensions for them...... it is fun and fresh since there are no extensions for them .

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions. First, did Mr. Parker ever go into detail on his view about chi or ki or however ya wanna say it? And do you know of any resources or have any information about the cultivation of being able to control at will the ability to perceive the world around you at slow motion? Like when you're in a traumatic situation and the world around you appears to go into slow motion. I'd like to do a thesis on this in the future but I haven't had any luck finding information on the subject. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on my training here by trying to learn about this already. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPO_CORY

And do you know of any resources or have any information about the cultivation of being able to control at will the ability to perceive the world around you at slow motion? Like when you're in a traumatic situation and the world around you appears to go into slow motion. I'd like to do a thesis on this in the future but I haven't had any luck finding information on the subject. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on my training here by trying to learn about this already. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Before anyone doubts this, it does exist, as I've done it myself and can vouch for it's existence, in complete honesty, proper Matrix style.

That was an exceptional circumsatance though, I've never heard of anyone been able to do it at will? I suppose if the body is capable of it though there may be a way to master it, but I find myself sceptical.

Ian.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by satans.barber

Before anyone doubts this, it does exist, as I've done it myself and can vouch for it's existence, in complete honesty, proper Matrix style.

That was an exceptional circumsatance though, I've never heard of anyone been able to do it at will? I suppose if the body is capable of it though there may be a way to master it, but I find myself sceptical.

Ian.

It's actually called Temporal Distortion, and it usually happens when you get a sudden adrenal dump in the body (happened to me during a motorcycle wreck). I know of no one that can do it at will either but constant training will give you a better edge in mental perception as opposed to physical speed. Time doesn't slow down, but you see motion like it is coming slower, but to the spectators, it's moving a 1000mph. It's all in your perception, trained and untrained.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions