Progress , for progress' sake?

Reaction score
A question to some of the instructors and students , In training , do you think you should train to make progress for its own sake , or do you move on when you think you have a good enough grip on a particular technique , that you are satisfied moving on , i prefer the second personally but that's just my opinion , i ususally never move on unless i understand most of it. or well enough to move on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress should always be based on ability to perform the techniques already learned. It does no good to advance a student just because they've been X rank for Y time. If they haven't learned the earlier material, they won't be able to properly learn the new, since it builds on prior knowledge.

OP
H
Reaction score
hmm well i can say from experience that it is very hard to judge one's individual progress but in those cases i mostly go back to the tried and true method of implementation and testing , if something works well i can usually tell by just drilling it a few times and seeing the result on my partners and myself , if no apparent result is visible or if the technique is wrong Keep working at it , if not then you obviously have room to take on the next step , but i'm not usually satisfied with anything tbh nor do i overthink things just try to keep balanced.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I don't really know a concept or excercise completely, how in the world do I know it well enough to "progress"? Focus on learning. Progression will follow.

OP
H
Reaction score
If I don't really know a concept or excercise completely, how in the world do I know it well enough to "progress"? Focus on learning. Progression will follow.

Hmm well as time passes you find more and more avenues of learning and when you dont have a live teacher but you have a dedicated group willing to learn it becomes somewhat interesting to progress , ofcourse , Understanding things on your own can be tiring but when you have a group it seems easier and certianly alot more fun , And so we learn , slowly but correctly. We started working and hopefully all of us will be in a position that allows us to travel and train for atleast 3 weeks or hopefully a month. :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read your Own Signature? :D

*Clears throat*
Different People Train for Different Reasons.
Im sure some People just Train for Progress.
I Train with the Intention of Practitioning at a High Level.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see those who want to run before they can crawl but it was explained to me the road is long and in a year a student can make only a few steps on their path, I like this analogy, no need to rush along imo.

I guess this can depend on if you have grading and curriculum too.

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
the road is long but it keeps stretching on infront of us no matter how long we walk it - there is always more to learn and it more about the journey than the destination in my opinion, i will never reach a really high level but still enjoy the journey for what it offers me.

OP
H
Reaction score
i kept wondering how i could best explain it since i had a somewhat clear answer in my mind but the question was blurry anyway i think typing this out will take a really long time so i'll just stick to and easier method i must warn you its me ranting a good twelve minutes about progress and goal setting and some of my views and beliefs about progress ... anyway here's what i've come up with so far ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXEeq6Douw

S
TART WATCHING FROM 8:30 MARK

OP
H
Reaction score
Read your Own Signature? :D

*Clears throat*
Different People Train for Different Reasons.
Im sure some People just Train for Progress.
I Train with the Intention of Practitioning at a High Level.

I train with the intention of training to perfection because it is simple and because it is unique to every individual!

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In training , do you think you should train to make progress for its own sake

Answer to your question, this applies to all endeavors, training without progression = waste of time ... progression is the product of proper training. Don't train for the sake of progress.

I train with the intention of training to perfection because it is simple and because it is unique to every individual!

I do admire your intention, however ... by nature of the beast, human has many flaws, therefore we can't attain perfection ... try as we may.

OP
H
Reaction score
Answer to your question, this applies to all endeavors, training without progression = waste of time ... progression is the product of proper training. Don't train for the sake of progress.

I do admire your intention, however ... by nature of the beast, human has many flaws, therefore we can't attain perfection ... try as we may.

I'll get as close as i possibly can :)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marc MacYoung and Trisan Sustrino (SP?) wrote a whole book about fixing the problems that come from this. They reffered to it as the "1-2-3-7-8-9 syndrome", moving on when you think you`re ready but you really aren`t.

Latest Discussions