Problems with roundhouse kick

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Cross Counter

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Also my definition of hook is similar to the roundhouse kick.

- The boxing hook uses the fist and the Karate roundhouse kick uses the ball.
- My hook use the entire arm (mainly the forearm inside edge) and my roundhouse kick use the entire leg (mainly the shin bone).

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We may have different definition of jab and cross.
This is the jab I am talking about.

Its not a knock down punch, though you can knock people down with it. It has many uses, some are discussed at the end of the above video.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the jab I am talking about.

Its not a knock down punch, though you can knock people down with it. It has many uses, some are discussed at the end of the above video.
This fit my definition of jab.

- It's leading arm punch.
- It contains body rotation.
- It puts body weight behind the punch.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've returned to karate after a 15 year hiatus and I'm struggling with my roundhouse kick. Practice will make it better, but for some reason this kick is really eluding me. Part of the problem is that my leg is heavy and I need to build more muscle and lose some weight. However, part of the problem is that when I studied karate years ago, we hit with the top of the foot, whereas now I need to hit with the ball of my foot. It makes sense why the ball of the foot is more effective.

However, there is something about the foot position that is making it difficult for me to do the kick and I don't know why. If I angle my foot to hit with the top, I have good aim and speed and I generally feel balanced. However, if I angle my foot to strike with the ball, I have trouble getting my foot high enough and I am thrown off balance. I feel like this shouldn't make a difference. Is it related to muscle memory? I feel like my muscles shouldn't be at all conditioned anymore due to the long time lapse.

Any tips for working on the kick would be welcome. Maybe this is just an instance of doing it again and again until it's right.
It could have a little to do with muscle memory but my inclination is that it is simply an easier kick for most people because you can throw an effective kick using the top of the foot and not rotate the foot/body as far.
  • You are correct that it is easier to reach higher or farther with the top foot kick just by virtue of the added length of the foot. It is a mental "comfort" thing I have never quite figured out. The ball of the foot kick is a more targeted kick therefore takes more focus. It is easy to get mentally lazy throwing top of the foot kicks.
  • The top of the foot is more tender than the bottom so a kick may just as hard with the top of the foot when it really is not.
  • Do you practice stretching the foot by kneeling with your toes bent under? By far one of the most important stretches to do for practicing ball of the foot kicks.
  • Start with a middle to middle-high target (the high end of comfort your level). Do 10-15 top of foot kicks as you normally do. Then do 10-15 ball of foot kicks with the same body mechanics. You should be able to feel that the shoulders and hips need to be turned over more for the ball of the foot kick to work well, more like the upper body mechanics of a side kick but it is still a thigh kick. The knee out AND knee in on the return of the leg after contact is more important because you are rotated over more. I always say "kick out and kick back in".

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You must be referring to point style fighting because all forms of roundhouse kicks (mawashi geri) were used in tournament fighting dating back to the 1st Kyokushin World Tournament. Knockdown Karate rules are different though so 1/2 points are scored only when a significant strike is registered by your opponent’s outward display of pain or by a knockout. Using the ball of the foot, instep or top to do it is of no consideration.
Kyokushin’s 1st World Open Tournament was in 1975. He said before 1973.

Yeah, I know... it’s not really relevant and he’s probably thinking different karate organizations and rule sets. I don’t think Kyokushin ever cared which part of your foot you used as long as it caused the desired effect.

Another general point of order for everyone, Kyokushin allegedly changed the way they used the roundhouse kick after the famous Muay Thai vs Kyokushin challenge back in the early 70s. It was supposed to be Muay Thai vs anyone from Japan, but Kyokushin was the only one who accepted.

OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
It could have a little to do with muscle memory but my inclination is that it is simply an easier kick for most people because you can throw an effective kick using the top of the foot and not rotate the foot/body as far.
  • You are correct that it is easier to reach higher or farther with the top foot kick just by virtue of the added length of the foot. It is a mental "comfort" thing I have never quite figured out. The ball of the foot kick is a more targeted kick therefore takes more focus. It is easy to get mentally lazy throwing top of the foot kicks.
  • The top of the foot is more tender than the bottom so a kick may just as hard with the top of the foot when it really is not.
  • Do you practice stretching the foot by kneeling with your toes bent under? By far one of the most important stretches to do for practicing ball of the foot kicks.
  • Start with a middle to middle-high target (the high end of comfort your level). Do 10-15 top of foot kicks as you normally do. Then do 10-15 ball of foot kicks with the same body mechanics. You should be able to feel that the shoulders and hips need to be turned over more for the ball of the foot kick to work well, more like the upper body mechanics of a side kick but it is still a thigh kick. The knee out AND knee in on the return of the leg after contact is more important because you are rotated over more. I always say "kick out and kick back in".

I'll have to try that stretch. Sometimes I find that the muscles involved with pulling back the toes are a bit tight. I also definitely don't pull my leg back into chamber as much as I should doing roundhouse, regardless of the striking surface. It's a bit of a balance thing and I find myself trying to get my foot quickly back to the floor. I suspect that will improve with time.

OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
An update on this: while my roundhouse still looks and feels a little funky to me when I'm just kicking the air, it's working great on the bag. Left leg is still a little sloppy, though. I was recently given access to the dojo during off hours, so I've been doing more bag work on my own time. I spent this afternoon working on kicks, and I'm quite pleased to see that I'm getting up to head height (after a good warm up and stretch) for most of my kicks. Roundhouse was favorite back in the day - it's becoming my favorite again!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An update on this: while my roundhouse still looks and feels a little funky to me when I'm just kicking the air, it's working great on the bag. Left leg is still a little sloppy, though. I was recently given access to the dojo during off hours, so I've been doing more bag work on my own time. I spent this afternoon working on kicks, and I'm quite pleased to see that I'm getting up to head height (after a good warm up and stretch) for most of my kicks. Roundhouse was favorite back in the day - it's becoming my favorite again!
Good work - keep up the effort, and keep having fun with it!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd guess most people who use it are aware of the vulnerabilities.
The hook punch is similar to the roundhouse kick.

This is also why a wrestler like to use a hook punch to set up a clinch. It's easier to make your arm to contact on your opponent's arm by your hook punch than by your straight punch.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do people know that roundhouse kick is the easiest kick to be caught?
Do you also know there are many varieties of a roundhouse kick? Just like a poor punch or jab, when done incorrectly a roundhouse can be easy to catch. That is a false blanket statement.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you agree that it's easier to block a hook punch than to block a jab/cross?
Depends on who’s throwing it and how - timing, speed, angle, distancing, etc. The way some people throw certain things, by the time you see it coming it’s too late. Other people throwing the same technique can be seen a mile away. Like great comedy, it’s all in the delivery.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on who’s throwing it and how - timing, speed, angle, distancing, etc. The way some people throw certain things, by the time you see it coming it’s too late. Other people throwing the same technique can be seen a mile away. Like great comedy, it’s all in the delivery.
And the power. It's easier to push a straight (jab/cross) off-path than to stop or redirect a hook. It's probably easier to recognize the hook coming (in most cases) and might be easier to lay hands on if you see it, but it takes more to block it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you agree that it's easier to block a hook punch than to block a jab/cross?
No.
Yes.

Latest Discussions