Problems kicking hand held pads

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings! I have trouble kicking hand held pads. Primarily, I have trouble with distance. I feel like my leg is never extended fully. Also because I have to wear TKD shoes when I work out, I can't really get that "pop" sound. When I kick the heavy bag, I don't seem to have a problem with distance or power.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
This may not help you as it's not a direct answer to your question but it may...

When I'm paddle kicking I tend to play with distance. I'll try to kick from further away and stretch in to the kick, I'll try to stand closer and compact my movement to still hit the target. I find this a useful exercise as very rarely are you at your absolute 100% perfect distance during sparring, so knowing what your workable range (from closest to farthest) for a particular kick is great knowledge to have. It also helps me learn what my ideal range is because I'm conscious of range during the exercise I know when I'm too far and too close accurately by sight to the target.

Regarding the "pop" sound, I never worry about that. I tend to just worry about hitting the target correctly and with speed. I would guess a cause could be stopping your kick early (i.e. at the impact point rather than a couple of inches through it), but as I said it's not something I focus on or worry about so I can't be much more help.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is probably the matter of not wanting to kick your partner in the hands (which is quiet painful).

But it is a matter of practice. It is not unlike sparring. You have to adjust to and fro a bit to hit the sweet spot.

All I can say: more reps! ;)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to have this Problem. I solved it by going with the Mindset of Kicking the Air, only really altering the Height.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think becasue you are judging your distance based off the person holding the pads not the pads themself. Like already stated more reps and learning to judge the distance from the target and only the target. That is why they are called focus pads, mitts, paddles. They teach you to focus on a target spot. Doing this over and over will after some time teach your brain to judge distance based off of what you want to hit. Just keep at it and it will come.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paddles and bag are totally different kicking methods, the bag for more deliberate penetrating kicks building a different quality in muscle the pads more for speed, timing distance the bag should be used also swinging not just stationary to simulate movement by an aponent and the impact of thier weight inertia.

I find the groups that train majority pads only fast pased tend to use instep the most and to get the pop you will note that the holders tend to hold the pad to benefit the slaping sound. They are a great way train an large group for low cost cardio but for full contact nothing like good heavy bag training as well

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
try it without shoes? And as someone above said, practice practice practice!!!

Shoes shouldn't have any impact on targeting, if they did then we should actually be practicing in shoes more often. That is assuming that what you want out of martial arts is a product that can be used outside of the dojo/dojang/studio and in the real world.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, I think he is disappointed that he does not make that satisfying POP sound when he kicks the target.
It could be that you don't hit the target well, because I don't think shoes do muffle the sound. Which would actually be in line with you not performing the technique to the best of your ability. :)

Kicking a bag is very different from hitting the target. For one, the bag is bigger. :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there anyway to practice something alone that would imrpove me performance?
Yeah. Hang a Tennis Ball up in a Doorway using some String. Kick the Tennis Ball.

Im quite serious.
Try to Range so that the Ball is at your Maximum Reach, to force you to fully extend in order to Contact.
If that doesnt improve your Pad Striking after 1-2 Weeks, well, it was just a suggestion.
Personally I do something similar as an Accuracy Drill.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there anyway to practice something alone that would imrpove me performance?

Leaves on bushes/hanging down from trees. Master Sang H. Kim demonstrates/advocates this in Ultimate Kicking Drills and the Korean team in "Art of Competition". It's a great way of improving accuracy, you pick a different leaf for each kick and it gets you used to different ranges/heights and movement between ranges. I'd personally advocate that over a tennis ball (as the tennis ball you have to reset/wait), but it may vary on your environment whether it's too cold to kick about outside.

I wouldn't advocate whacking away at branches for your own safety and there's no point in causing major damage to the tree/bush, but the leaves will likely fall off in the autumn anyway and kicking the odd leaf off won't do any tangible harm to the tree (not that they have pain sensors or brains).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leaves on bushes/hanging down from trees. Master Sang H. Kim demonstrates/advocates this in Ultimate Kicking Drills and the Korean team in "Art of Competition". It's a great way of improving accuracy, you pick a different leaf for each kick and it gets you used to different ranges/heights and movement between ranges. I'd personally advocate that over a tennis ball (as the tennis ball you have to reset/wait), but it may vary on your environment whether it's too cold to kick about outside.

I wouldn't advocate whacking away at branches for your own safety and there's no point in causing major damage to the tree/bush, but the leaves will likely fall off in the autumn anyway and kicking the odd leaf off won't do any tangible harm to the tree (not that they have pain sensors or brains).

At the same time, Full Power Striking should be putting the Persons Hand Back, leaving a Reset Time as well.
Personal Opinion is Subject to the Individual, however :)

Latest Discussions