Problem with the site loading

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have this on-again, off-again problem with the site loading slowly; I first noticed it about 3 or 4 months ago, but it's been slowly getting more frequent (or maybe it's just because I'm home more for the summer). Sometimes it's just fine; sometimes, it will be minutes before a page loads fully, and the problem only affects MT; I don't access MT enough elsewhere to know if the problem occurs elsewhere. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Computer: Dell Latitude 100L
Operating System: Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2
Browser: Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14
Anti-virals: AVG Free 8.0; McAffee Security Suite

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try clearing your cache.
Also, updating Firefox and XP to Service Pack 3 may help.

Anyone else having any problems?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try clearing your cache.

Intermittently, but I don't see enough of a pattern to be able to nail down what's going on. Sometimes it'll take ten minutes or more for my post to go through... but immediately after that, everything runs swimmingly, so my sense is, most of the slowdowns I run into are at the server end, not at my end.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm... clearing the cache hasn't worked in the past and Firefox says there are no updates available... I've been avoiding SP 3 but it might be time to install it.

Thanks!

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Intermittently, but I don't see enough of a pattern to be able to nail down what's going on. Sometimes it'll take ten minutes or more for my post to go through... but immediately after that, everything runs swimmingly, so my sense is, most of the slowdowns I run into are at the server end, not at my end.

That's what I see - I'll open something in a tab, and it will sit and sit and sit... I'll open other threads in tabs, and wait - and they'll all come up at once, and then no problems for some time.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with the 'server side' issues. My machine and my net connection, whilst not the gaming bleeding edge they were are still monstrous for net browsing. I get it more at certain times of night than others but it's a daily event.

It occurs most, as best as I can tell, if there is a post in the thread I'm replying too before I finish.

EDIT: Karen, I recommend you get SP3, it improves things quite a bit ... but ... make sure you're running at least a gig of RAM. XP will choke on it's own blood if you're not.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FireFox 3 was released on Tuesday.

I'll have the server checked. Is there a particular time that things barf? 1AM NY time I have a few minutes of slowdown as the nightly updates kick off.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FireFox 3 was released on Tuesday.

I'll have the server checked. Is there a particular time that things barf? 1AM NY time I have a few minutes of slowdown as the nightly updates kick off.

Not any particular time that I can think of - but I can say that 1 AM NY time is 11 PM in Denver - I'm not generally on line then (I'm usually asleep) so I doubt that's the problem. It was happening when I started the thread.

I'll check with Mozilla's site directly - but the check update button in the tools said I was up to date, which is why I thought it was.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try clearing your cache.

Yep. Me too. I'll clear my cache and update Firefox, hopefully that will help.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Might be time for a new server....something I really really hope isn't it as the next step is way out side the budget unless we get like 200 more supporting members soon.

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure when updates are done here but I had noticed the site wouldn't load at times. I worked nights until this week and the site couldn't even be found for hours late at night.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something happens right at 1a.m. EST... that much is pretty clear. Sometimes it's resolved quickly and other times it's a looooong wait to get back on track.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D Ah, the wonderful sound of a clash of IT opinions :lol:.

I find that SP3 was a very beneficial update that actually improved the speed of networked gaming operations on my primary machine. It's security additions are highly recommended too (tho' if you don't use IE as your browser then not so much).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:D Ah, the wonderful sound of a clash of IT opinions :lol:.

I find that SP3 was a very beneficial update that actually improved the speed of networked gaming operations on my primary machine. It's security additions are highly recommended too (tho' if you don't use IE as your browser then not so much).

Gaming ..phhft.... we don't allow no stinking gaming in my department...it's evil and gets peoples minds off the drudgery of work. :EG: :uhyeah:

I only deal in Enterprise stuff and the multiple softwares that are used in my department. And at this point XPSP3 does not play well with others as far as I am concerned. And has a few rather interesting security holes they REALLY need to address before I install it on anything.

EDIT

Sorry I made a mistake it is not

"it's evil and gets peoples minds off the drudgery of work. :EG: :uhyeah:"

It is

we're evil and don't want peoples minds distracted from the drudgery of work. :EG: :EG:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you have access issues, note the time, and duration, and post them here so I can track things. Danke.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is

we're evil and don't want peoples minds distracted from the drudgery of work. :EG: :EG:

ROFL.

As I use UNIX for my professional activities I'm glad to say that I don't need to worry about any issues with SP3 outside of improved performance.

Out of interest tho', what issues are there that you speak of Xue? If it's something bad then I'm surprised Micro$oft let it out of the house ... what am I saying! Given their past track record that's exactly what they'd do i.e. use the global Beta Testers :(.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Out of interest tho', what issues are there that you speak of Xue? If it's something bad then I'm surprised Micro$oft let it out of the house ... what am I saying! Given their past track record that's exactly what they'd do i.e. use the global Beta Testers :(.

Microsoft is constantly letting out things that are full of holes and then they make patches that fix those holes and causes other holes and then they make more patches that fix those holes and cause... I think you get the idea.

Just look at Vista, I recently was in a meeting that was discussing Vista and I told them what I feel and I honestly feel Microsoft has got to a point where they no longer understand their own software or how to fix it.

But they sure know how to make money

EDIT

One issue was that AMD-based PCs to reboot repeatedly after XP Service Pack 3 is loaded.

But I will have to talk to our web admin and get back to you via PM, it was per his research that I came to this decision

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob, I just had one of the 'log-on' delays.

Now thirty seconds of looking at a blue progress bar might not have sounded much in the days of dial-up but MT is the only site I visit at present where such delays crop up on broadband. Perhaps it's the Gods of Balance deciding that because I like it here so much I should, on occasion, be made to wait just to prove I really want to login :lol:?

Latest Discussions