Practicing different applications

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He didn't refer to it as an ideal position, but as a center point. I think that's a good place to teach from on many techniques - show the point farthest from errors in as many directions as possible, so most of the useful variations are reasonably close to the primary taught version.
Thank you, At least I know I explained this idea so it could be understood by someone:)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will try to explain. I cannot say if you understood my point or not, Techniques can be done in many ways. You may do it one way for sparring to maximize your chance of success under whatever rule set facing an opponent. You may do it another way when breaking under whatever rules apply for that with no concern for defense, opponent etc. Combat may use a different method. Some methods my need to be done even being off balance. If you view the spectrum of technique variations as each being a point radiating outward somewhere from the center of a sphere, the method at the center of the sphere is the point from which it would be easiest to morph each variation. That center point method may very well be the pattern method. (I hope this makes sense. )
Yes, I think we are saying much the same thing, but your way is much more eloquent. So, in your explanation, do you see, at least at the root that a (choose type) kick is a kick? The rest is variation and understanding application.
I'm a "put the cookies on the bottom shelf" kind of guy. Simple mind and all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I think we are saying much the same thing, but your way is much more eloquent. So, in your explanation, do you see, at least at the root that a (choose type) kick is a kick? The rest is variation and understanding application.
I'm a "put the cookies on the bottom shelf" kind of guy. Simple mind and all.

If you want to telegraph your intent in exactly the same way every time you kick. Then one kick is fine.

If you change the power generation of the kick. Then everything else about that kick is a little bit off.

Which you understand because you are training it. But he has to work out in the split second he has to deal with it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="dvcochran, post: 1904349, member: 38081.................. So, in your explanation, do you see, at least at the root that a (choose type) kick is a kick? .[/QUOTE]

I think I read that somewhere:
"Before I studied the art, a punch to me was just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick no longer a kick. Now that I've understood the art, a punch is just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. It is the halfway cultivation that leads to ornamentation. Jeet Kune-Do is basically a sophisticated fighting style stripped to its essentials.
Bruce Lee "
Occam's razor is a similar view.
I agree with those.
My thought about viewing a pattern method as a central point along a spectrum is not entirely different and separate from the "Alternate / real " application concerning some pattern motions. The "Spectrum" idea has to do with ways of using the kick, as a kick in different situations. Yes, it may also be a way to think of morphing a technique into something entirely different, for example a low outer forearm block as blocking an impact attack to the lower abdomen, but morphing it into a release from a grab etc.

Latest Discussions