Power From A Left Jab

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's probably why in Taekwondo, we're taking the good from boxing and leave the bad. TW

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ever try heel hand strikes of the lead instead of a closed fist?

Practicing the particular rotation type for a jab should help with the power problem. Other than that, make sure you are hitting with the combined force of your weight and the rotational force.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the posts, have learnt alot from the replies.

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Hi

How do you get power from a left jab. When I punch with my left it is so weak it feels like my wrist is going to break or bend the wrong way. How do you keep your wrist straight??? Is it supposed to be straight??? Whats the correct techique? Can your left jabs be powerful or are they just meant for something else???? I hope im making sense. Im finding this real hard to explain.
Punch straight out with your wrist locked and your elbow bent, letting your arm take the brunt of the blow rather than your wrist. Contrary to popular belief you can get a lot of power with a jab, when you throw any kind of punch including a jab, your power is coming from your mid and upper torso not your arm. A good way to tell if you are getting the whole body into the jab,hook,cross, etc is to tense up your stomach muscles as you start the punch, if you feel a noticible change (tighter) then you are using the whole body and you are going get the power you are looking for. I do agree with most everybody else in the matter of the jab being a lead/set-up punch but, with a good, powerfull jab right from the get-go you can end a lot of fights before they really start.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Hi

How do you get power from a left jab. When I punch with my left it is so weak it feels like my wrist is going to break or bend the wrong way. How do you keep your wrist straight??? Is it supposed to be straight??? Whats the correct techique? Can your left jabs be powerful or are they just meant for something else???? I hope im making sense. Im finding this real hard to explain.
One way to get more power off your left jab is to simultaniously drop your left foot back onto the ball of your foot with the drop of your rotator cuff. To make this work you must leave your body weight where it is with no adjustment. Then you sort of nudge yourself forward off the ball of your foot. Upon striking you will have a nigh bracing angle and your right foot will naturaly come forward as if you were saluting. Also you can leap up on the ball of your left foot several inches in front of where you started to get the same effect. (this is not a step drag motion, but a more of a forward hop and step[ I call it the Aerol Flyn move])
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
One way to get more power off your left jab is to simultaniously drop your left foot back onto the ball of your foot with the drop of your rotator cuff. To make this work you must leave your body weight where it is with no adjustment. Then you sort of nudge yourself forward off the ball of your foot. Upon striking you will have a nigh bracing angle and your right foot will naturaly come forward as if you were saluting. Also you can leap up on the ball of your left foot several inches in front of where you started to get the same effect. (this is not a step drag motion, but a more of a forward hop and step[ I call it the Aerol Flyn move])
Sean

That sounds like an Errol Flynn sword move as he sticks it in...
Sounds interesting, I'll try it out, maybe tomorrow, if my back is better...TW

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions