Power From A Left Jab

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi

How do you get power from a left jab. When I punch with my left it is so weak it feels like my wrist is going to break or bend the wrong way. How do you keep your wrist straight??? Is it supposed to be straight??? Whats the correct techique? Can your left jabs be powerful or are they just meant for something else???? I hope im making sense. Im finding this real hard to explain.

M

Mark Weiser

First thing is we go back to basics and correct your stance in which you are throwing your punch from. Stance are the base of all Techniques the use of balance and movement. Then second go over the proper making off a fist using the structures of the hand.

Then go over the movement of the punch using the entire body doing the technique slow gaining proper application and targeting.

It is difficult to correct without seeing you throw the punch. But this is what I would be doing in my Dojo.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
What you most likely need is just practice, make it so both the left and right jabs are just as strong.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A jab doesn't always need power to serve it's purpose.

It can be used as a set up, Jab - Cross, Jab - Hook, Jab - shot, etc.

It can be used defensively while baking away to prevent follow ups.

It can be used as cover fire to escape a bad place, jabbing while circling to get back to where you want to be in the ring/cage/area

Usually you don't want much power on your jab, at least not your first one, because this means planting your feet, which takes away mobility and gets you counterpunched or taken down.

When you do want to throw a jab with some force behind it the power comes from your legs. Or more specifically your rear leg driving your body forwad behind the jab. Make sure your elbow stays in as flaring your elbow will absorb your own punch...

Your wrist is just something you need to work on, strengthen the forearm and practice. Making sure you're hands are well wrapped and wrists secure to keep yourself from getting injured. Power will come in time.

You might even consider that classical excercise of doing push ups on your fists ;)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the left jab is probably the least powerful since it does come off the lead shoulder. But it should be thrown straight, with your fist in line with the radius(inside forearm bone) on the same line as the thumb. It is also important to tense at the strike so it doesn't buckle and hurt your wrist. We don't use the typical TKD punch with the palm down. We punch with the palm facing inward. As others have stated, it is usually used before another punch as a set up and sometimes a fake. I'm no expert on boxing but that is what I know of it, as it was taught to me. (pushups are good) TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
there's another type of pushup?

Split pushups, hands together in a triangle, hands point side, , hands in, hand pointed front, knuckles on boards are killers...and those famed fingertip pushups...

All probably help with the left jab. :D TW

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is precisely why I lead with my strong side. In this way, my lead jab is faster and more powerful than if I led weak side. Of course, being completely ambidexterous is the ultimate goal, but hey, I'm not there yet.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
This is precisely why I lead with my strong side. In this way, my lead jab is faster and more powerful than if I led weak side. Of course, being completely ambidexterous is the ultimate goal, but hey, I'm not there yet.

Dan,

Leading with your strong side is also directly applying your stick techniques to your empty hands. :)

:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually people go into a left forward stance, fighting stance, left foot forward since most are right handed. That said, the left hand is leading most of the time, which is the weak hand for right-handers but the stronger leg is in the back. In TKD, we prefer legs so most go into this stance.

But if we want to use our more powerful right with the right leg lead and switch stances to a right stance, we would be "open" to kicking from the other's strong leg since they are still in the left stance and both would be facing the same way. So that is why we mostly stay in a closed stance-facing opposite.

But if the other is not aware, you switch fast, then attack with a right jab, then follow up with a kick (s)...that works. ;) TW

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
your more powerful punches will come from your back side.

Putting your stronger hand in the rear will give you a more powerful punch.

Also the rear hand is used for defence.

There are benefits to both ways, but for pure striking strong side back is the way to go.

Weapons - Strong side forward.

Wrestling - Strong side forward

Striking - Strong side back

I do all 3, therefore strongside forward tends to work better for me... plus I prefer to close to a clinch to strike :D

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
The rear hand is the cross, not a jab though.

Also, the cross is always more powerful than the jab.

BTW, I use both hands for defense equally. TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
The rear hand is the cross, not a jab though.

Also, the cross is always more powerful than the jab.

Andrew Green said:
which is what I just said

Not exactly. We were talking about the jab-the thread subject. You said it came from behind, it doesn't. The cross does, which is a different punch type. And of course, the cross is more powerful, the punch that comes from behind, but you didn't label it correctly, so yeah, clarity is important. TW

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Not exactly. We were talking about the jab-the thread subject. You said it came from behind, it doesn't. The cross does, which is a different punch type. And of course, the cross is more powerful, the punch that comes from behind, but you didn't label it correctly, so yeah, clarity is important. TW
rear punch is a cross, lead is a jab.

Pretty sure I never said a jab could be thrown of the rear side... that wouldn't be a jab..

I'm very hungry right now... that is my excuse for anything that sense makes not.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
umm... just for the record... Catching a jab with the lead hand is a big technical mistake that sets you up to take a power shot.

Most punches that come at you will be jabs, therefore most defence should be with the rear hand

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's alot of things that shouldn't be done, but catching a jab wasn't the topic either and nothing I said.

I use both hands equally for blocking depending on whether it is a high kick or a low kick. or high punch or low punch, and also avoid/parry/step then counter. Fighting isn't just with hands, especially when feet are better to use in combination with hands if you are TKD trained. But I disagree with you, about a rear hand blocking a jab punch attack unless you're looking to walk right into it. :uhohh:

Sorry, this has gotten real off topic--which is... the power from a left jab. TW

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
But I disagree with you, about a rear hand blocking a jab punch attack unless you're looking to walk right into it. :uhohh:
And I bet you will have a hard time finding a boxing coach that will support you on that...

But you are right, we are off topic.

Latest Discussions