Martial Arts Novels

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just curious what other's think about the recent wash of martial arts novels? I am refering to books like the "Rain" series by Barry Eisler and "Sensei" by John Donohue.

I kinda like 'em...I guess they satisfy a void that was created when martial arts movies were replaced with hip-hop rapper punchouts and the theatrics of people in costume getting zipped around in the air by steel cable.

S

Spud

I've read Eisler's first two books in the Rain series and will read the third once the price drops. I found them enjoyable althought not a terrific mystery/adventure. I suspect martial arts people would enjoy them more than the average reader.

I have Sensei on my list to pick up one of these days.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
You all piqued my interest enough to leave the boards for a few minutes and surf Barnes and Noble.com for these books. They sound interesting enough, but I think I'm going to have to look at your profiles for your ages to see if it's something I might be interested in, since I'm most likely old enough to be your mother... but thanks for the recommendations. KT

S

Spud

kenpo tiger said:
You all piqued my interest enough to leave the boards for a few minutes and surf Barnes and Noble.com for these books. They sound interesting enough, but I think I'm going to have to look at your profiles for your ages to see if it's something I might be interested in, since I'm most likely old enough to be your mother... but thanks for the recommendations. KT
My mom's 81. :idunno:

The Eisler stuff is spycraft/adventure. I found them cheap on amazon.com through some of their used book vendors. Not sure that I'd pay cover price.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ever read

Marc Olden: I liked his book "Giri" kind of crime drama but with big influence on the martial arts. From sometime in the 80's.

Robert Schea: "Shike" -Vol 1 and 2. Over the years I have read these two at least a couple of times each. From sometime in the early 80's

I haven't read any new martial art related books/series. How new is new?

Mark

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
SENSEI was a great read! I hope Donahue comes up with another fiction - he's a pretty talented writer.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only martial arts novels I ever read are The Ninja and Miko by Eric Lustbader but I check out the one mentioned in the above posts..Thanks...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I liked Shibumi, disliked Sensei, actually I think my favorite martial arts book was Matadora by Steve Perry, strictly popcorn, but tasty popcorn.

Lamont

P

Patrick Skerry

The Bloodthirsty Blacksmith

About a swordmaker whose secret to making invincible swords was lots of human blood, a samurai sleuth finds out and must defeat the talented blacksmith in a duel.

Latest Discussions