Pot-Smoking No-Gi BJJ

D

Deleted member 34973

Although I am a proponent of cannibis, I do not agree with the idea that it is an sports enhancement.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've heard this arguement before; and it's just a way of people trying to justify their recreational drug habit.

Being no stranger to this sort of thing myself (although I try to be more about clean living/eating/training these days), I absolutely disagree with the idea that getting high improves your performance in athletic endeavours enough, to negate the negative effects on your overall fitness and awareness.

I'm not really judgemental about this sort of thing at all and believe that mind altering substances taken recreationally should be treated as a public health concern, rather than criminalised, but in the same way as I wouldn't want to train with someone who was drunk, I don't agree with coming to a class to learn whilst under the influence.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never tried pot (or any other recreational drug). I'm a big fan of having a clear mind. That said, whenever pot is finally legalized in my neck of the woods, I will probably give it a try to see if it works for me as a treatment for arthritis pain when I'm going to bed. Don't think I'll want to try it before training, though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really don't look at it much differently than alcohol. My issue with it being legalized is there's no objective way to tell if someone's under the influence. Yes, there's obvious signs, but nothing like BAC to say "you're this high right now" for criminal stuff like driving.

I have no problem with people doing as they wish so long as they're not harming others. Coming to MA class under the influence of anything is dangerous to others (and themselves). If I ran a dojo or was teaching and someone came in under the influence of marijuana, I'd treat it the same as alcohol- not allowed on the floor and have them arrange for a ride home. If they leave on their own, call the police and report a driver under the influence. If it's not my dojo, inform the CI of the situation and how it was handled.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of a guy I knew in grad school. He would also brag about how he and his sensei would get so stoned together that they'd often break eachothers limbs and still fight each other. That the pot made them so high they didn't feel the pain.

Total ******** and a complete tool.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Often break each others limbs? More like total BS.

Yup. What's sad is people believed him too. Or maybe they just pretended because they didn't want to argue with him?either way I didn't buy it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that anyone under the age of thirty that tries it is walking a very dangerous path. You know why? Because you might like it, that's why.

Yes, you, I'm talking to you, you young pups.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That said, whenever pot is finally legalized in my neck of the woods, I will probably give it a try to see if it works for me as a treatment for arthritis pain when I'm going to bed.
It won't be.

What kind of arthritis do you have? I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 1987 and the drug that has worked best for me has been Humira. I was one of the guinea pigs in the human trials and as far as I am concerned, it's a full-blown miracle drug. I am in remission. You might discuss it with your rheumatologist.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It won't be.
What won't be? Pot legalized? I'm pretty certain that the political momentum is such that pot will probably be legalized nationally within the next 10-15 years.
What kind of arthritis do you have? I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 1987 and the drug that has worked best for me has been Humira. I was one of the guinea pigs in the human trials and as far as I am concerned, it's a full-blown miracle drug. I am in remission. You might discuss it with your rheumatologist.

Fortunately I don't have anything nearly so nasty as rheumatoid arthritis. I just have a mild case of "I'm getting older and I've abused my joints over the years so they often get a bit cranky with me and I notice it mostly when I'm trying to relax for bed."

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What won't be? Pot legalized? I'm pretty certain that the political momentum is such that pot will probably be legalized nationally within the next 10-15 years.
Sorry, I should have been more limited in my quote. I don't think that you would find pot to be a pain reliever of any kind. People that I know are potheads and who swear that pot is the most wonderful thing in the world have told me that pot doesn't help them with the pain of a sprained ankle or a pulled muscle.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more limited in my quote. I don't think that you would find pot to be a pain reliever of any kind. People that I know are potheads and who swear that pot is the most wonderful thing in the world have told me that pot doesn't help them with the pain of a sprained ankle or a pulled muscle.
On the other hand, a ton of pot users do swear that it's helpful with arthritis pain. I figure it will be worth finding out whether or not it works for me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with Tony. In all the years pot was totally prohibited, there was a dearth of quality of research on its benefits. As the political and legal situation changes research into its bnefits and risks should increase. I will be very interested to see what is learned. If it were legal and would help me with some of my joint pain, I'd also be open to trying it provided:

1. I didn't have to smoke it and put up with that nasty smell.

2. I could get the medical benefits without getting a buzz. I like to be clear-headed.

3. Due to it being legal, I didn't have to buy it from or associate with stoners!

BTW nothing personal there, but I went to high school and college in the 70's when Cheech and Chong weren't much of an exaggeration. Really don't want to re-live those days!

Latest Discussions