Pot-Smoking No-Gi BJJ

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So then I had to look up smoke serpent.

I know a pretty red hot no gi guy. I should ask him.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are competing, I believe you should be drug and alcohol free. How you roll in training is your own business. I don't do BJJ, but I would never train Eskrima or WC with someone who I felt was chemically impaired. I really don't want to get a stick or even a finger in the eye! ...now that can happen anyway, but why increase the risk? ;)

BTW we are going to see more discussions like this as more states decriminalize marijuana. Just sayin'...

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug for any type of physical activity. It may have legitimate medical uses for pain control, glaucoma, etc. but not for sport performance. He is simply rationalizing his choice to use drugs with a bogus claim. It's probably worth noting as well that many in the BJJ community do not like him for this. Large names such as Royce Gracie have publicly criticized him for promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, when so much of Jiu-Jitsu culture is about promotion of a healthy one. Others such as Draculino have criticized him for his openness about drug use due to concerns that others will associate Jiu-Jitsu with drug culture and parents may choose not to have their children participate because of it.

Eddie Bravo is incredibly talented, but he is also controversial. The latter is not necessarily bad, but I would say personally that he is not my cup of tea.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my students were to do this they'd lose their jobs, there is a no drug policy in the military.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug for any type of physical activity.

I agree ...at least this is my own experience. However, back in the 70's and 80's when I hung out with some people who did use drugs, I met some individuals who sincerely believed that a "mild buzz" helped their performance in certain sports including BMX, skateboarding, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, even rock climbing and hang gliding :eek: -- those last two sound like a great way to shorten your life expectancy.

I also know a very intelligent gentleman in his seventies who is a practicing psychotherapist, martial arts instructor, and former LEO who insists that a small amount of alcohol often improves accuracy in shooting sports by calming the sympathetic nervous system, reducing supeficial tremors, etc. He says that the data he has viewed from European colleagues is clear, that the correct (small dosage) of alcohol --about one drink -- will in fact act as a "group tightener" for most people. He does point out that more alcohol than that will drastically reduce performance and increase the risk of accidents. Hence the general prohibition of combining drinking and shooting.

Regarding the generally excepted rule against having even one drink before shooting? Well, like a lot of smart people I've met, he tends to view such rules as made to keep lesser men or ordinary folk in line.

As for me, If I go shooting, I'll stay sober with the ordinary folk. ;)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree ...at least this is my own experience. However, back in the 70's and 80's when I hung out with some people who did use drugs, I met some individuals who sincerely believed that a "mild buzz" helped their performance in certain sports including BMX, skateboarding, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, even rock climbing and hang gliding :eek: -- those last two sound like a great way to shorten your life expectancy.
People believe lots of things, as I am sure you well know. :) And the ones more likely to believe such thing are the ones who are looking for excuses not to change their behavior.

Regardless, there is actual research data on this (believe it or not), which shows far more often than not, that Marijuana has an inhibitory effect on human performance.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...there is actual research data on this (believe it or not), which shows far more often than not, that Marijuana has an inhibitory effect on human performance.

IMO that should be obvious!

Kinda reminds me of a story the local paper ran a few weeks ago describing the results of university research carried on here in the Phoenix area collecting data strongly supporting the hypothesis that a car parked in the sun on a hot day got hotter than one parked in the shade!!!!! ....Wow, who da thunk it? :D

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Kinda reminds me of a story the local paper ran a few weeks ago describing the results of university research carried on here in the Phoenix area collecting data strongly supporting the hypothesis that a car parked in the sun on a hot day got hotter than one parked in the shade!!!!! ....Wow, who da thunk it? :D

No kidding.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not my bag...
LOL!!!
I'm sure that's what they told the cop that pulled them over for driving too slow after they left the dojo.

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score

Wow! Science and stuff, huh?!

"Re-stomp the groin"

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug for any type of physical activity. It may have legitimate medical uses for pain control, glaucoma, etc. but not for sport performance. He is simply rationalizing his choice to use drugs with a bogus claim. It's probably worth noting as well that many in the BJJ community do not like him for this. Large names such as Royce Gracie have publicly criticized him for promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, when so much of Jiu-Jitsu culture is about promotion of a healthy one. Others such as Draculino have criticized him for his openness about drug use due to concerns that others will associate Jiu-Jitsu with drug culture and parents may choose not to have their children participate because of it.

Eddie Bravo is incredibly talented, but he is also controversial. The latter is not necessarily bad, but I would say personally that he is not my cup of tea.
Medical use of marijuana is primarily for its appetite stimulant effect, even more so than pain management. Just FYI.

"Re-stomp the groin"

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If my students were to do this they'd lose their jobs, there is a no drug policy in the military.

Same here.

As Tony Dismukes and others stated Eddie Bravo is an interesting character. People (not his students) bag on him to no end but he is an incredible grappler and his students are good grapplers. I've played around with some of his half guard stuff which he calls lockdown. I get the idea of having a mild buzz calms the nerves and allows people to roll looser. I couldn't see myself actively trying to learn or drill a new technique while stoned though.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Arizona is one of 25 states that currently allow medical marijuana. People say it's very easy to get a card here from a doctor (not necessarily an Md. either). Word is that just about anybody who is willing to pay the fees can get a card. If the local newspaper is correct, the overwhelming number of medical marijuana card holders tend to be young adult males complaining of chronic pain --which is very hard to objectively determine. Of course there are many others with more convincing need, such as those undergoing chemo. Here's how to get a card:

How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card

Also, it looks like there will be an initiative on the ballot this coming November to outright legalize marijuana for recreational use, following the trend set by Washington State, Oregon, Colorado, and Hawaii. I've read that perhaps seven other states will be voting on similar measures. I have no idea what outcomes are predicted at this point.

So with half the country already allowing medical, and in some cases recreational marijuana use, here's a question: How would you respond to a student attending a martial arts class who, though not noticeably high or impaired, admits to using marijuana (perhaps even just prior to class) for legitimate medical reasons?

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arizona is one of 25 states that currently allow medical marijuana. People say it's very easy to get a card here from a doctor (not necessarily an Md. either). Word is that just about anybody who is willing to pay the fees can get a card. If the local newspaper is correct, the overwhelming number of medical marijuana card holders tend to be young adult males complaining of chronic pain --which is very hard to objectively determine. Of course there are many others with more convincing need, such as those undergoing chemo. Here's how to get a card:

How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card

Also, it looks like there will be an initiative on the ballot this coming November to outright legalize marijuana for recreational use, following the trend set by Washington State, Oregon, Colorado, and Hawaii. I've read that perhaps seven other states will be voting on similar measures. I have no idea what outcomes are predicted at this point.

So with half the country already allowing medical, and in some cases recreational marijuana use, here's a question: How would you respond to a student attending a martial arts class who, though not noticeably high or impaired, admits to using marijuana (perhaps even just prior to class) for legitimate medical reasons?

Fortunately, not my call to make. I'm just a student who assists with training under my sensei's supervision.

Personally, I have spent a good portion of my life dealing with drunks and druggies in law enforcement. I don't tend to like them very much; they are not as fun to be around as they tend to assume they are. I offer no opinion on the rest of it; just don't like druggies and drunks as a general rule. My opinion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just for clarification, are we talking specifically about training while stoned or just anyone who gets high?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you respond to a student attending a martial arts class who, though not noticeably high or impaired, admits to using marijuana (perhaps even just prior to class) for legitimate medical reasons?

We train on Crown property so could not allow them to train having admitted to an illegal act. I don't think any of us would actually care otherwise, just we wouldn't wanted to be kicked out and have to find a civvy ( where we'd have to pay rent, utilities etc) place to train.