OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sodium enhances flavor and I believe also has some preservative characteristics. So when they pull fat out of something they have to enhance the flavor because "fat is where it is at" :p when it comes to flavor or sugar (depending the type of food item). So low fat or fat free things, you will find they either up the sodium or they will up the sugar, which also enhances flavor of the food. I realized this when I began analyzing the macronutrient labels.
Yeah, I realize that, but I wonder if salt is cheaper than savory and aromatic herbs which would, of course, enhance flavor also.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I realize that, but I wonder if salt is cheaper than savory and aromatic herbs which would, of course, enhance flavor also.

That I wouldn't know. However, the basic herbs I have added to food definitely has flavor but there are properties associated with Salt and fat for that matter that gives so much depth to the overall taste. I am one who loves garlic. However, without a touch of salt, it seems flat (for lack of better description).

What herbs are you talking about? I am for cutting salt in any way I can.