Post your fast-food healthy solutions here

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today, I got a Fruit & Walnut Snack from McDonalds for under $2. It contains about 3/4 of an apple, about 10-12 red grapes, about two teaspoons of "candied" walnuts and about 1/8 cup of plain yogurt.

Nutrition Facts according to the label:

Per Serving (based on 2000 calorie diet):
Calories: 190
Calories from fat: 60, Total fat: 7g *yowch!*
Saturated fat: 1.5 g, Trans fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium 55 mg
Total Carbs: 31g
Dietary fiber: 4 g, Sugars, 24g, Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 330%
Calcium 8%, Iron 2%

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
McDonald's food, like all fast food really, is fine to eat once in a while. However, I must confess that the last time I ordered a "regular" chocolate shake at Mickey D's, it was so sweet I couldn't finish the darn thing.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whenever I hear about McDonald's salads I can't help to think of an Avatar on dimeadozen.org that read:

"Buying a salad at McDonalds is like buying vitamins at a crack house."

I'm not saying I totally agree, but. . . ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eat at sub shops. They're not great, in general, but they're not fried, and if you watch the toppings you can get lots of vegies and less fat (skip the mayo or the cheese, for example). I know Subway will take any of their sandwiches and put the toppings on a salad instead of bread.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sub sandwiches are a great alternative. Fast food restaurants are ok occasionally. I find rather than getting one of the salads or other so-called healthier choices, you're better off just getting a regular hamburger and a small fry. It satisfies and is lower in calories than the Deal Meals. Next time, just buy a Happy Meal. ;) Once in a while is fine.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fruit, walnut and yogurt snack from McD's was actually filling enough for me, that with nonfat milk made a nice light lunch.

I look for stuff like this because I have a pack of animals ... er, I mean ... a large family who's always wanting to drive thru here or there to get a snack, you know? I usually carry crackers or something, but sometimes I'm out or there's not enough or I'm on the run and I gotta get something.

I thought this was a good alternative if someone else in the car insists on going to the Golden Arches and I'm hungry - prolly better than their salads.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every once in a while (once a month or so), I might get a small chili and side salad from Wendy's for lunch.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was a good alternative if someone else in the car insists on going to the Golden Arches and I'm hungry - prolly better than their salads.

Actually the grilled chicken ranch salad with the Newmans lite Balsamic Vinegrette is not bad at all and very tasty! That is if they still sell them. ;) It has been many months since I ate there!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually the grilled chicken ranch salad with the Newmans lite Balsamic Vinegrette is not bad at all and very tasty! That is if they still sell them. ;) It has been many months since I ate there!

I've had that salad! But I was surprised at the salt content in the chicken - raised my BP a bit. Is this a problem for you?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Healthy fast food that actually tastes good: Chipotle. If you can't make it healthy then I don't know what to say. Besides, it tastes great.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love Chipotle - I buy one burrito, cut it in half, eat half for lunch the day I buy it, and half the next day. Corn salsa... mmm....

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had that salad! But I was surprised at the salt content in the chicken - raised my BP a bit. Is this a problem for you?

Yes the sodium was high in the chicken. It is that way with the chili from Wendy's or most processed foods for that matter. I eat very little salt as I generally prepare my own foods, I did eat those salads for a while for lunch at work. I never measured my BP shortly after eating it, but the times I checked it, it was good.

I would rather deal with a little extra sodium than I would the sugar, or fat! Sugar and fat have calorie content :p

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would rather deal with a little extra sodium than I would the sugar, or fat! Sugar and fat have calorie content :p
I call those three things - sugar, fat and salt - the Bermuda triangle ... and I've been stuck there for a while lately. :ultracool

Let's talk about fat and salt for a moment ... anyone else noticed that the "low fat" foods are much higher in salt than the regularly prepared stuff? Now, I mostly avoid prepared foods, though with my hectic lifestyle I cave more often than I should. But it seems to me it just shouldn't be that hard to just NOT tip the salt shaker in the manufacturing process. Thoughts?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
McDonald's food, like all fast food really, is fine to eat once in a while

I dunno know about that...I stopped eating at Mickey D's about 5 years ago...About a month ago I had a craving for a Big Mac meal so I indulged...I swear that Mac laid in my stomach like a brick...And I use to live on those things

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I admit I don't have the cleanest diet. Not by any stretch of the imagination. There are times when I have said "Burgers and fries will never let you down."

However, I am going to go with the most healthy option is to go to subway and eat a 6 in veggie sub on wheat and drink water. Nothing real tasty or flattering but it is healthy for the most part.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes when on duty I don't have much of a choice..I switched from fast food to a lot of Chinese food( chicken and brocoli) and an occasional burger from Steak and Shake...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I call those three things - sugar, fat and salt - the Bermuda triangle ... and I've been stuck there for a while lately. :ultracool

Let's talk about fat and salt for a moment ... anyone else noticed that the "low fat" foods are much higher in salt than the regularly prepared stuff?

Sodium enhances flavor and I believe also has some preservative characteristics. So when they pull fat out of something they have to enhance the flavor because "fat is where it is at" :p when it comes to flavor or sugar (depending the type of food item). So low fat or fat free things, you will find they either up the sodium or they will up the sugar, which also enhances flavor of the food. I realized this when I began analyzing the macronutrient labels.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Healthy fast food that actually tastes good: Chipotle. If you can't make it healthy then I don't know what to say. Besides, it tastes great.

Chipotle is a tricky one. It may seem healthy, but let's not confuse healthy with healthier. The sodium content in Chipotle is absolutely heart stopping. One tortilla has a 340 Calories. This is just the tortilla with nothing on it. And 860 mg of sodium. Ugh...

Latest Discussions