Popular Science, 1962: Judo in 12 Easy Steps

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just came across this; thought it was interesting. How useful is it? It's not too bad, from my newbie's perspective. Still requires practice, it's not something you can just read and look at the pictures and then confidently defend yourself. But still, kind of interesting...

http://bit.ly/cgn7Lu

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the throws are usable. The first part with the small joint manipulation on teh wrist and fingers might be a bit much for a beginer in a stressful situation even if you did learn from an instructor and not a magazine.

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great find Bill, thank goodness we have DVD's or video. I hated looking at
any martial arts technique taught from a book. Too confusing.

Of course, nothing beats "live" instruction.

I remember sending away for the Charles Atlas weight training literature
from Pop Sci. or Popular Mechanics. Never had any sand kicked in my face after that:)

Laus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Neat! I've learned a few of those moves over the years...the bear hug and the shoulder throw, and the cross block of the kick, but without that lock on the leg at the end. In practice our partners rolled out of it, but we were basically simulating throwing the guy face first into the ground. If the guy's already down I'd forget the lock just get the heck out of there before he had a chance to recover, but thats from the perspective of a female who's best interest usually doesn't involve sticking around.

The knife move looks like end of an Aikido technique that we practice (minus the knife). The name escapes me at the moment.

I don't think any of this is a great idea without proper instruction though, unless you have a solid foundation already. Its hard enough to do successfully with a willing partner and a teacher talking you through it, nevermind under the effects of an adrenal dump with a resisting attacker.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

Cool find, although I wouldn't want to ues it to learn anything other than the way things were viewed in the 50's... honestly, so much of it was lacking, to say the least, or simply wrong ("jujitsu... originated 2000 years ago in China", and all the talk of Kano and exactly what he did was off as well). I do like the way the attacker and defender were in suits and ties, though. That was a nice touch.