Book Reviews!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Hi all!

I started this thread with the hopes that many of us will share some thoughts about martial art books (hopefully, but, could be any that have touched your life) that you have read where you really found meaning in your life. I'm guessing that many of you have read many works like I have and have come across at least 1 that meets this requirement. I'm also doing this because sometimes what we see as written sources become "The source" on a subject. My feeling was that since so many experts and passionate people are around these forums, we could have a great, open and honest discussion. Maybe being centered around things close to you like these works, different or more expanding insights will give you a new sense about things and maybe yourselves! :asian:

So, with this, let me start the conversation. I'll put up a work and we can discuss the points that have made me think about things which has carried on in my life in the arts.

My book is "World's Deadliest Fighting Secrets" by Count Dante. I know about the issues regarding this man and the book. However, I'm asking all to keep open minds about any works talked about here because truth is truth, no matter where or who it comes from. There are valid points, at least I feel, in this book. The book was written in 1968, so, think of the culture then and how it is different now.

Points that struck me about this, (and this was as a child. My father brought the book home, picking it up in Boston's Chinatown because it came with a cool snake patch-lol) was in a chapter about modern day self defense sytems and their short comings. The list given is as follows:

1. A martial artists ability to control the movements and attacks by an adversary.

2. Having a developed sense of timing. (when to attack, how to attack, etc..)

3. Developed patterns of attack and defense.

4. Defensive tactics such as ducking, bobbing, weaving, and rolling with strikes. (an interesting debate in the Kempo forum right now--Boxing and Kenpo. Feel free to join in there too)

5. Takedowns: throws, trips, sweeps, pins, pushes, pulling, proper grips/grabs/holds, turning, twisting, grappling and choking. The use of mat work and offensive and defensive ground work (Which I have noticed. Many grapplers I know focus on the offensive side and not so much defensive. This is evident when watching MMA stuff. They grapple, if not applying, they seem clueless and basic. Also noted was off balancing techniques.

6. Using the opponent's attack against them.

7. Using different strikes and executing them properly (This ties in to training the basics properly)

8. Sense development. (awareness training for immediate response)

9. Proper footwork and patterns, like staying on the balls of the feet instead of flat footed. (Boxing and Karate debate again in the Kempo forum)

10. Physical Body development--to withstand punishment. (I've seen this debate on these forums many times-lol) (goes to commercialization debates to)

11. Utilizing SPECIFIC hand and foot combinations (Karate vs. Boxing training methods)

12. Use of feints, deflections, parries, leading and misleading tactics. The claim is also that many styles were too strict in systemized sequences, making them predictable, and leaving no room for Tailoring to one's specifics (That was a good debate to!)

13. Development of proper breathing.

14. Getting familiar with the major and lesser know vital areas.

15. Using both hands to block and strike at the same time.

16. Chi development as it increases inner strength.

I think there are some valid points here which have been debates, so I'm interested on any thoughts? Discussions? Opinions?

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I liked a book I had a while back called Kung Fu: History, Philosophy, and Technique

It's been years since I've read it, I think I sold it at a garage sale before moving to the East Coast. But anyway from what I remember it was a good source of history and background of Chinese martial arts. Very good read if one is interested history.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
1. A martial artists ability to control the movements and attacks by an adversary.

My ideas about each topic will come separately. Taking the first point:

1. When a fight is in progress, I agree totally with this point. Whether in a ring, cage, schoolyard, street, etc... to come out on top, you have to control the actions. That point seems obvious. However, an issue with this is; if martial artists always seek to defuse a situation before fighting, or are usually attacked is it possible to control the fight? Hasn't the aggressor already done so? I get the feeling that for us to do so, it has a meaning of preemptive striking at the first signal of aggression. Is it wise to try and defuse in the first place? Or just go with the gut? When does a fight really begin????

Latest Discussions