Polycotton vs Cotton Gi

OP
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are Tokaido karategi no longer very well rated? They were the only brand to wear in my day!
I'm not messing with Tokaido anymore.

For one thing, they have non-Japanese made gis that are way too overpriced. Their "Kata Master" gis (which is what I use now). They'd be perfectly fine if they were priced around $75 or $80 dollars, since the quality is no better than other other gis in that price range. And, IMO, that drags down the whole brand.

Also... they got rid of their Japanese made middleweight cotton. They only have middleweight in polycotton. Which means they turned all their customers who liked their middleweight cotton over to Hirota and Shureido.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about Seishan International’s karategi (Jesse Enkamp)?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gotten all mine from Moo Sool Sa for years. $80-$100 generally. Delivery can take a bit since they ship by sea from Korea, but you can pay a bit extra for quick delivery. They do all sorts of uniforms and also do embroidery.

OP
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What about Seishan International’s karategi (Jesse Enkamp)?
I've never worn one. But here's what I do know: contrary to what Jesse Enkamp tries to imply (but doesn't explicitly state), they're not made in Okinawa. Or Japan.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only Gi I have left is a Tokaido. It’s over thirty five years old. There were a lot of other Gis during those years but they all died.

That old Takaido puppy keeps on rocking.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, people really do this?
It’s called ‘marginal gains’ the idea being that even tiny positive changes can combine to make significant improvements. Endurance cyclists, for example, shave their legs to minutely improve aerodynamics (and to reduce infection risk after cuts and scrapes), they don helmets with sweeping, air-funnelling profiles and of course, take copious amounts of performance enhancing substances 😐

Since kata competition has a large, subjective element to it’s judging, an extra crisp and loud snap as the contestants punches and kicks might subconsciously sway a judge in the contestant’s favour.

In the video above, Riku Usama creates a lot of her ‘snap’ by slapping her hands/fists against her torso: notice how the punches and kicks themselves are fairly silent!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never worn one. But here's what I do know: contrary to what Jesse Enkamp tries to imply (but doesn't explicitly state), they're not made in Okinawa. Or Japan.
Does the country of origin make that much difference?

OP
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does the country of origin make that much difference?
The Seishin is priced higher than $200. Think about it.

Just like watches - at a certain price point, it had better be Swiss made (unless it's a Grand Seiko).

Jesse Enkamp knows this. Why do you think he's trying to give the impression that it's made in Okinawa when it's not? If he flat out told you that it's made in Pakistan, he wouldn't be able to sell them for $200+.

BTW, there are certain types of cotton that are only grown in Japan, and that's what Japanese gis are made of. They breathe much better than the gis made in China and Pakistan (like Seishin).

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Seishin is priced higher than $200. Think about it.
Is that expensive?
Just like watches - at a certain price point, it had better be Swiss made (unless it's a Grand Seiko).
Ah you have to be careful with thinking like this. I’m a wrist watch aficionado and Omega fan but there are plenty of countries that also make good watches. It just the ‘label effect’ ….Gucci, Moog, Fender, Gibson, Marshall…they live on their reputations.
BTW, there are certain types of cotton that are only grown in Japan, and that's what Japanese gis are made of. They breathe much better than the gis made in China and Pakistan (like Seishin).
Is that true? Do you have a reference for it that I could read or is it ‘common knowledge’?

OP
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is that expensive?
Yes. If you've heard of the brand, I'd think you'd have checked out their website.
Ah you have to be careful with thinking like this. I’m a wrist watch aficionado and Omega fan but there are plenty of countries that also make good watches. It just the ‘label effect’ ….Gucci, Moog, Fender, Gibson, Marshall…they live on their reputations.
Some of these brands may not be Swiss themselves, but their watches are still made in Switzerland.
Is that true? Do you have a reference for it that I could read or is it ‘common knowledge’?
Both, here's a quick one I could find that touches on it briefly.

If you notice when you're shopping around for gis and you're looking at the weight, non-Japanese brands measure the weight in ounces. This cannot be done with Japanese cotton. Typically, middle weight gis are made with cotton designated as "Number 11," heavyweight as "Number 10," etc. Again, this cotton is only available in Japan. You will never see Japanese made gis designated as "13 oz," etc.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. If you've heard of the brand, I'd think you'd have checked out their website.
Oh I have. $200 for a keikogi that’ll last what, 5 years sound reasonable to me.
Some of these brands may not be Swiss themselves, but their watches are still made in Switzerland.
Ha ha…ok.
Both, here's a quick one I could find that touches on it briefly.

Hardly an independent source and it’s a blog….someone’s opinion of whom we know very little.
If you notice when you're shopping around for gis and you're looking at the weight, non-Japanese brands measure the weight in ounces. This cannot be done with Japanese cotton. Typically, middle weight gis are made with cotton designated as "Number 11," heavyweight as "Number 10," etc. Again, this cotton is only available in Japan. You will never see Japanese made gis designated as "13 oz," etc.
To be honest, I’m not that Princess who can feel a pea through ‘twenty mattresses and twenty eider-down beds on top of the mattresses’. I think I’d personally find it nearly impossible to tell the difference in perspiration absorbency between these cottons. Do you think you could in a blind test? Are you that Princess?😉 Besides, I’m old school and can suck my sweat back into my ducts

OP
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hardly an independent source and it’s a blog….someone’s opinion of whom we know very little.
Do with it what you will. No skin off my back, either way.

To be honest, I’m not that Princess who can feel a pea through ‘twenty mattresses and twenty eider-down beds on top of the mattresses’. I think I’d personally find it nearly impossible to tell the difference in perspiration absorbency between these cottons. Do you think you could in a blind test? Are you that Princess?😉 Besides, I’m old school and can suck my sweat back into my ducts
To each their own.

Latest Discussions