Pole both sides?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, in every day Chinese, 六点半 means 6:30. Maybe whoever created it did so at around 6:30 one day, and such an obvious answer has just gone over everybody's head since!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've long wondered where the idea of a "half" point came from. After all it is a "point" or concept or not! How can it be half of a concept! One explanation is the "spear origin" theory that I noted. But I've discovered in Tang Yik pole that the half point is "chin." "Chin" is a half circle movement used to go from a lower position to a superior position on top of the opponent's pole. Kind of like a Huen Sau with the pole. The other six "points" or concepts can be applied both offensively and defensively. But this semi-circular movement is purely a defensive transition move with no offensive application. Hence it is a "half" point, because it has no offensive application.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've long wondered where the idea of a "half" point came from. After all it is a "point" or concept or not! How can it be half of a concept! One explanation is the "spear origin" theory that I noted. But I've discovered in Tang Yik pole that the half point is "chin." "Chin" is a half circle movement used to go from a lower position to a superior position on top of the opponent's pole. Kind of like a Huen Sau with the pole. The other six "points" or concepts can be applied both offensively and defensively. But this semi-circular movement is purely a defensive transition move with no offensive application. Hence it is a "half" point, because it has no offensive application.

Interesting!

I read this old post by Duncan Leung from his old forum:

Posted by Duncan Leung on 01/30/06 08:12 pm

"I was told by Yip Man that, historically, the Double Knife and the Long Pole were not originally part of the Wing Chun system. These are additions that were grafted on later. Therefore, the basis for them is not identical to that behind, say, kicking.
With regard to the Double Knife, which is a sharp weapon not requiring much power, we are speaking of methods of countering (eight of them). With weaponry, we are using limited directions, which is not the case in empty hand combat.
Regarding the Long Pole, while this is based upon tremendous power, we are again concerned with the number of methods or techniques -- in this case seven of them (six coming from you, the seventh utilizing half of the opponent's force)."
also found this from him:
"The Long Pole is 7 feet, 2 inches in length. There are six techniques which utilize the pole wielder's own power exclusively, hence '6 points'. The half point corresponds to a technique which utilizes both the wielder's force as well as that of the opponent."

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The half point corresponds to a technique which utilizes both the wielder's force as well as that of the opponent."

---I'm not sure what that means. And if it uses your force as well as the opponent's, wouldn't that make it a "double" point, not a "half" point?

Latest Discussions