Polar Plunge

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody EVER done the Polar Plunge for charity? Was it fun? Nobody got sick(flu, cold, pneumonia, whatever), right?

Because, I think I'm going to be doing it in February.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope... but congratulations on finding a charity you can help!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anybody EVER done the Polar Plunge for charity? Was it fun? Nobody got sick(flu, cold, pneumonia, whatever), right?

There is a group up here that does it on a regular basis, I have never heard of anything bad coming from it...It's nothing that I want to try..

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My mom ix-nayed that idea. She doesn't want me to end up getting sick and missing school.

But, AFTER I graduate, she has NO real problem with me doing it then!

And I'm 26, go fig!

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to volunteer at the Plunge! I'll try to get some pictures, 'K? I might even have my face painted-- Jay's gonna paint my face(I just have to get to his hotel room early enough to do so.)

But, I will definately plunge NEXT year! I'll be out of school by then and NOBODY can stop me!!!!!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

My God. You're either brave or crazy. I hate the cold and can't imagine doing this. Best of luck to you when you do take the plunge! :asian:

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My God. You're either brave or crazy. I hate the cold and can't imagine doing this. Best of luck to you when you do take the plunge! :asian:

Not this year--my mom was against it(can't take the chance of getting sick and missing school), but at least I can volunteer at the Plunge(in a non-plunging capacity, at least). Kinda sucks, but: what canya do? ::shrugs::

I'll TOTALLY get pics, tho! You'll be able to tell who I am in them(it'll be easy)--I will be the one in jeans, a long-sleeved shirt and a pullover hoodie(I will be the only one NOT wearing a bathing suit! :p)

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Plunge is the day after tomorrow! OMG! I totally can't wait!
I'll tell you guys ALL about it later, 'K? Hopefully Saturday evening, sometime Sunday at the latest.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish you well...Hope you are able to post some pix...Like I said a group of LEO's and FireFighters do it for charity up here..Never heard anyone suffering any ill effects from it, but it's something I would NEVER do...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac, it's something I never would have done a few years ago.

Maybe I'm maturing? Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Nothing wrong with being crazy...If it was HALF of the folks here including me would be locked up....

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bad news, I'm afraid. I don't have many pics because the batteries in my digital camera died. AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I should have changed them this morning.

Now, if you'll excuse me--I'm going downstairs to take an aspirin 'cuz my head's killing me. I'll post more about the Plunge when my head stops feeling like it wants to explode.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are some pictures:
IM000154.jpg

IM000150.jpg

IM000153.jpg

IM000155.jpg

But, next year--I'll be plunging!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's with your friend in the bruise-colored makeup? :idunno: I mean, I could see going with blues and greens to look like hypothermia... but green and yellow bruise colors? Your face make up is very restrained. Or is this a polar plunge thing that I know nothing about?

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What's with your friend in the bruise-colored makeup? :idunno: I mean, I could see going with blues and greens to look like hypothermia... but green and yellow bruise colors? Your face make up is very restrained. Or is this a polar plunge thing that I know nothing about?

He was actually plunging, whereas I was working in registration. I had to look slightly normal. And it's the ONE time of the year where you get to be a cartoon character(Jay's plunge team member, Ray, told me that). I think I'm just gonna do my face next year--I had green eyelids 'til Monday.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great looking pix...Can't wait to see the ones when you actually plunge yourself...Course you'll prolly be buried under a dozen electric blankets in an effort to get warm afterward..LOL

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great looking pix...Can't wait to see the ones when you actually plunge yourself...Course you'll prolly be buried under a dozen electric blankets in an effort to get warm afterward..LOL

Yeah, but it'll be worth it! Jay & his daughters have a lot of fun doing it and I want in on it!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow that looks really cool!!

There is a group in South Boston that does a similar plunge every New Years Day. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to be crazy enough to go down and give it a try :D You're inspiring me now!!

Latest Discussions