OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure the instructor did not intend any disrespect or harm by his action. As has been said we tend to follow "old Ways" at times.He may only have been trying to protect the VampyrSoul from getting hurt.
We all come from a time when instructors where still challanged at times and schools where closed if the instructor could not protect it.
Yes he has and dose train people every night, He keeps me in check and corrects my forms when I start getting careless also.
As an aside the name VampyrSoul comes from His hospital stay. He stright lined at least 6 times between when the paramedics picked him up to when he left the ER for intensive care. He also had so many transfusions and bled out so much that none of the blood in his body was his at times. So he remembers and jokes about it with this name.
Shadow

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Promote him.

If your instructor doesn't like it, too effin' bad.

Cthulhu

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Cthulhu

Promote him.

If your instructor doesn't like it, too effin' bad.

Cthulhu

On this topic I agree put aside the friendly talk that Martialtalk is all about. Sometimes become focus so much on one little aspect like the the medical condition that they miss the big picture, in this case how much Vampyrsoul can contribute to the art.

B

Battousai

I remember the master of my system saying one time how he liked getting old. It was a new challenge. How he gets the chance to see the art in a different perspective and learn even more about it.
Rank or no, martial arts is within this life an art of learning. Doesn't matter who you are, if you can move you can learn. To those who can learn, who will to learn, even in the face of great physical opstacles, teaching should be proscribed. The greater the will the greater the student. The greatest of all... to be that great, what seems insurmountable will become possible.
It is the duty to one given such a student, one honored in such a way, to fill that student up to the brim, with all that he has to teach.
Rank will become legalistic, and not truth, if such a student were to be dishonored.

T

tigerstorm

Gentlemen,
Im a young man and for the most part an unknown and no I dont have any huge number of years in the martial arts, however I am lucky enough to know at least three of the gentlmen who have been writing in this forum. I know shadow and his son I have see these two gentlemens actions in there own school and also at tournaments. I also know of there Instructor who I happy to say taught my own Instructor for some time, so I do (at least from stories) have an idea of where these thoughts on promotions come from. I guess all that I can offer is that, if a black belt is to be upheld, can he do it? I once heard that martial arts is as much mental as it is physical. Can he stand there and describe exactly what it is he wants his body to do, if he can is he not doing the most important part of the technique. When he does forms can he do it complete, obviously the physical left aside if he knows it he knows it. How many martial artists today know what in hell theyre doing, Id say most black belts dont today. So I do like the idea of addressing Grandmaster about this, but in addressing shadow, take your information with you, remind people that there is more to a kick and punch than the physical and can Phil do it, you and I both know he can. I say do it properly with your traditions, but remind also that the man without an arm cant be expected to hit with it, however that doesnt mean he cant hit you.
Sincerely,
A friend in the arts

V

VampyrSoul2000

I would like to thank everyone from the deepest part of my heart for all the kind things that have been said here. I know most of you don't know me from the next person, so it really makes me feel good inside.
I understand the feeling that I should be able to defend myself and react accordingly to each type of sistuation that arises. I am pretty sure of myself that if the need came about to defend myself, a loved one or someone else weaker, that I could and would do it without thinking about myself, just as any abled body martail artists would do.
Now, I am not saying that they need to promote me or should, I know that's not the reason we are in this field. All I am saying that is I would like to be noticed for my efforts. Maybe I am unable to hold my on against two or three attackers now, due to my injuries, but I know damn well that at least one if not two will be making a trip to the emergency room. It may not be pretty or to form, but I know I can do what is nessecary to survive.
Like it has been said before, 29 years (okay off and on), but still it's 29 years should account for something. I don't espect to be promoted just because I am a 1/2 cripple, but I am also not going to pucker up to anyone to get it. If they give it to me ten fine, but do it on my years of being with the system and my knowledge. That is all I ask.

I know sometimes I rant and I am truely sorry. But yes, it does tick me off to see others get bumped over me when I have been in the system longer than they been walking, just because I am handicapped...

V-Soul

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to ask the moderators to close this thread. I really did not mean for it to get as personal as it has. This forum is not set up for that purpose and I apologise to all for takeing this thread in that direction.
I have made up my mind what, when, and how I am goint to do what needs to be done. There may be a small post in mid April,and I know there will be one in Aug.( if not befor) that relates to what has been talked about here.
a new thread dealing with students with Handicaps will be opened. This one shall stay on How do we teach those with learning and/or physical handicaps.
I would like all the instructors out there who stayed away from this thread tohave a say from there expernces in teaching
Shadow:asian:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions