Peter Jackson and "The Hobbit"!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.
[...]
Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

Let's hope for compelling battle scenes! Swords, archery...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'

Let's hope for compelling battle scenes! Swords, archery...

We can hope!
icon14.gif

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We can hope!
icon14.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing a small army of dwarves fighting. Gimli was my favorite character to watch during the action of LOTR.

I also hope they show the "darker side" of the elves, and better explain the hatred between the elves and dwarves.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yippeee!
:headbangin::uhyeah::bangahead::cheers::partyon::high5:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder how the last battle will be handled in the movie, considering Bilbo is unconcious through the whole thing. Personally I would love to see someone eles's take on JRRT's world, or maybe it's sour grapes over how the ending of Return Of The King was handled.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how he does it. The Hobbit is so very different in tone that LOTR.

LOTR is epic the way WWII and the Bible are epic. The Hobbit reads like a childrens' faerie tale.

And then there's the dwarves. Gimli was such a bad *** mother ****** that he should have been played by Sam Jackson. The dwarves in the Hobbit are frequently weak and silly.

Absolutely thrilled that Jackson's going to do the movie (Peter, not Samuel). Very curious how he's going to handle the differences.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, "The Battle of the Five Armies" will be indeed interesting and because Jackson has his hand in it, it should turn out well.

What will be interesting is the handling of Smaug.

I'll be interested to see the Riddle game between Bilbo and Gollum. "What do I have in my pocket?"

Likewise I hope the score is just as excellent as it was for the Rings.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um, question?
TWO?
Why two? He did the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as a trilogy, does ONE book really require two movies?
I just hope the (obviously) CGI Smaug doesn't look as crappy as the CGI Jabba the Hutt in the "Special Edition" of Star Wars...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Um, question?
TWO?
Why two? He did the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as a trilogy, does ONE book really require two movies?
I just hope the (obviously) CGI Smaug doesn't look as crappy as the CGI Jabba the Hutt in the "Special Edition" of Star Wars...
The Hobbit is a long story and it would be injustice to have to shorten it to two and half hours ... there is SO much going on in Bilbo's journey with the Dwarves that to leave something out... it'd be a crime against those who know/love the book well.

CGI has come a LONG LONG way since the crappy Jabba. Look at Dragon Heart, Reign of Fire ... those dragons looked real good.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'quote]

Peter Jackson is a Hobbit!:)

Seriously though, it should be pretty good.

If its a big success I wonder if he would consider the Silmarillion? He make about eight movies out of that one.

Um, question?
TWO?

I understand that there are some preproductions images of Smaug around already and that they are spectacular. If they are anything like the dragons in Reign of Fire then Smaug will look fantastic.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how much they depower Gandalf. For many viewers their last view of Gandalf is Gandalf the White, or at least watching Gandalf the Grey going toe to toe with a Balrog. In the Hobbit he is reduced to throwing flaming pinecones out of trees and doing voice impersonations in the dark, not exactly the image of power.

I'm all for making the elves to be the bad guys in Mirkwood, the whole Lord of the Rings movie series was an elf love fest.

I don't think the Gimli the badass to the Hobbit's bumbling twelve dwarves is going to be that big a stretch. Gimli was largely comic relief in the Jackson movies, had they kept closer to the books the dichotomy would be far more apparent.

Lamont

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the Arkenstone looks like. I know the picture in my head, but...

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had to just go change my pants :).

I will be waiting happily. He's the only one that i know of, with the only team, that could do it justice. I know the LotR series wasn't exact, had lots of discrepencies, but it was still cinematically amazing, and a great saga!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOTR is epic the way WWII and the Bible are epic. The Hobbit reads like a childrens' faerie tale.

The Hobbit is a children's fairy tale - that's what it was written to be; Tolkien wrote it with 10-12 year olds in mind.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If its a big success I wonder if he would consider the Silmarillion? He make about eight movies out of that one.

Heh, don't even joke about that! It's surely unfilmable, though I suppose you could excerpt a story here-or-there. The creation stuff would have to be animated?

I understand that there are some preproductions images of Smaug around already and that they are spectacular. If they are anything like the dragons in Reign of Fire then Smaug will look fantastic.

I liked Reign of Fire! Sounds good to me.

There's a persistent rumor that the shriek of the Nazgul was a recording of Jackson's wife when he jokingly told her he planned to film the Silmarillion.

Heh! That's a project for two lifetimes.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bushidomartialarts There's a persistent rumor that the shriek of the Nazgul was a recording of Jackson's wife when he jokingly told her he planned to film the Silmarillion.

All Jackson has to do is take his wife up in an airplane and fly over his new property/house and point out that his long absence from her due to the Rings is what PAID for it all...
That and all those cases of Haagen Daas! :D

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
All Jackson has to do is take his wife up in an airplane and fly over his new property/house and point out that his long absence from her due to the Rings is what PAID for it all...
That and all those cases of Haagen Daas! :D

Doesn't he own like the whole South Island of New Zealand? I expect there are people in the NZ tourism industry that pray to him each night.

Just a weird little point. I was watching Willow the other night and noticed that large portions of it were also filmed in New Zealand. It is very disconcerting to see an Australian possum in a fantasy movie.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heh, don't even joke about that! It's surely unfilmable, though I suppose you could excerpt a story here-or-there. The creation stuff would have to be animated?

I'd pay to see it! I just finished it. Looks like cool creatures used to be omnipresent. Balrogs galore!

Latest Discussions