Peter Jackson and "The Hobbit"!

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But this was (mostly) before they became balrogs, right? Or, at least they started off as Gandalf-like beings and slowly became balrogs.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
But this was (mostly) before they became balrogs, right? Or, at least they started off as Gandalf-like beings and slowly became balrogs.

The balrog were maiar allied to and corrupted by Melkor/Morgoth, by the time they make their first appearance in the first age they already have the fiery-shadowy balrog appearance.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'

Let's hope for compelling battle scenes! Swords, archery...

Cool, because I have the 1977 Rankin and Bass animated version in my head. It was one of the first video discs we got for our RCA CED VideoDisc player in the early 80s. We watched The Hobbit so much that my little brother (little brother at the time, now he is my younger brother) had the whole movie memorized.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fights should be good, but there is so much more to the story. If PJ and the director get too caught up in it the film will turn into a pure action flick and lose all the magic of "There and Back Again".

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if he'll be able to get Ian McKellan And Andy Serkis again.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I've just realised something. If PJ does this thing right he is going to have to explore the finding of Sting and Glamdring. Both these weapons, plus Orcrist, were supposed to glow with a pale light when enemies were near. Throughout LoTR Gandalf's sword did not do this even though it is supposed to be the same blade.

I know its a finicky little thing, but in the context of The Hobbit the finding and description of these weapons is a significant thing.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is everyone obsessing about the battles and weapons? I know this is MT, but please. The story is about so much more.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats great that the whole mess finally got straigtened out and they are going to move forward with the movies!! Can't wait!!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um... the sequel to The Hobbit???

That would be Lord of the Rings, no? And I think someone actually already did that one... :lol: :confused:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um... the sequel to The Hobbit???

That would be Lord of the Rings, no? And I think someone actually already did that one... :lol: :confused:

The sequel is supposed to cover the time between The Hobbit and LOTR. Not sure what was going on in the interim. Maybe start of with the fight with the necromancer in the tower (which is mentioned in The Hobbit) and go on to handle Suaron returning to Morder and the actions of the Rangers to protect parts of Middle Earth, including the Shire.

I mean, there are references in LOTR to some events that would've happened off the main plot in The Hobbit and before LOTR, but I'm not sure how much Tolkien fleshed them out (I haven't read Unfinished Tales and some of the other writings)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sequel is supposed to cover the time between The Hobbit and LOTR. Not sure what was going on in the interim. Maybe start of with the fight with the necromancer in the tower (which is mentioned in The Hobbit) and go on to handle Suaron returning to Morder and the actions of the Rangers to protect parts of Middle Earth, including the Shire.

I mean, there are references in LOTR to some events that would've happened off the main plot in The Hobbit and before LOTR, but I'm not sure how much Tolkien fleshed them out (I haven't read Unfinished Tales and some of the other writings)

OK, it'll be interesting to see the angle they take on the sequel. It could go from 'inside' to 'outside'—following up events from the point of view of the hobbits, Bilbo and Frodo especially, and their increasing entanglement with larger events in Middle Earth as things start getting serious; or it go in the opposite direction—developing the motif of the Dúnedain and their increasing conflict with the early stages of the new regime that surfaces in Mordor in the LOTR, and gradually bringing the Shire into their field of action. Could go either way....

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had thought they were just making The Hobbit into two films, as they plan to do with HP7?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last info I read had them doing the Hobbit in one movie and then the gap in time leading up to the Lord of the Rings in the second movie (as mentioned above).
Looking forward to it.