Penn hits police officer

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's what likely happened. Penn DOES have a Hilo reputation for being a brawler early in his life. That's why his father was more than happy to send him to California. Penn was at the party, a huge brawl broke out. The Officer showed up, started pepper spraying Penn's friends. Penn got offended, punched the officer. Realized that he just committed felony, figured he didn't want to be around when backup showed up, and took off running. Penn got tackled, his buddies pulled the officer off of him before anything further happened, and back up arrived. They no doubt probably offered to taser Penn, and he submitted to arrest. Having been to a few hundred bar fights, and dealt with countless guys like Penn, I am almost certain this is likely what happened. Penn's version will vary, no doubt, but I would vary my story too if I were facing felony assault on law enforcement charges. He didn't run because he was afraid of the officer, he ran because he was afraid of MORE officers. UFC or no, eventually enough officers arrive to take you in to custody. Penn's not stupid, he knows that. This whole thing isn't rocketscience, Penn screwed up. He'll likely pay a HUGE fine, get a little jail time and spend a little probation time. Lets hope Penn's Probation officer lets him travel to fight.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Here's what likely happened. Penn DOES have a Hilo reputation for being a brawler early in his life. That's why his father was more than happy to send him to California. Penn was at the party, a huge brawl broke out. The Officer showed up, started pepper spraying Penn's friends. Penn got offended, punched the officer. Realized that he just committed felony, figured he didn't want to be around when backup showed up, and took off running. Penn got tackled, his buddies pulled the officer off of him before anything further happened, and back up arrived. They no doubt probably offered to taser Penn, and he submitted to arrest. Having been to a few hundred bar fights, and dealt with countless guys like Penn, I am almost certain this is likely what happened. Penn's version will vary, no doubt, but I would vary my story too if I were facing felony assault on law enforcement charges. He didn't run because he was afraid of the officer, he ran because he was afraid of MORE officers. UFC or no, eventually enough officers arrive to take you in to custody. Penn's not stupid, he knows that.
Exactly...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
so you are saying the fact that i have been working for the sheriff's office for 2 years, and have also helped bring down some violent criminals doesnt equate to knowledge?
You were an Explorer for 2 years? or worked there for two years?

OP
R

RMACKD

Penn has gone to court and has said he is not guilty. His lawyer went on to say that if Penn had hit the officer the officer would still be in there (the guy ended up in the hospital for 24 hours).

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i have been working for the sheriff's office for 2 years,
and have also helped bring down some violent criminal
s
Those were supposed to be in separate areas my bad. I didnt do it as an explorer, i did it for security company at a local mall. sorry for the confusion. hey btw, I know the people in the article. thats not the post I was in, but I know them.

Here's what likely happened. Penn DOES have a Hilo reputation for being a brawler early in his life. That's why his father was more than happy to send him to California. Penn was at the party, a huge brawl broke out. The Officer showed up, started pepper spraying Penn's friends. Penn got offended, punched the officer. Realized that he just committed felony, figured he didn't want to be around when backup showed up, and took off running. Penn got tackled, his buddies pulled the officer off of him before anything further happened, and back up arrived. They no doubt probably offered to taser Penn, and he submitted to arrest. Having been to a few hundred bar fights, and dealt with countless guys like Penn, I am almost certain this is likely what happened. Penn's version will vary, no doubt, but I would vary my story too if I were facing felony assault on law enforcement charges. He didn't run because he was afraid of the officer, he ran because he was afraid of MORE officers. UFC or no, eventually enough officers arrive to take you in to custody. Penn's not stupid, he knows that. This whole thing isn't rocketscience, Penn screwed up. He'll likely pay a HUGE fine, get a little jail time and spend a little probation time. Lets hope Penn's Probation officer lets him travel to fight.
sounds very likely. I never did in no way try and deny what apparently happened, it just seemed very suspicious...BUT if the guy was in the hospital for 24 hours, Penn surely hit em. I was under the impression that he tagged the officer with no affect. No doubt penn took off to evade arrest, epsically if he clocked the officer a good one. he will probably get some jail time for sure.

Oh, BTW due to age and time, I am formally resigning from explorers in a week. I will be 21 in a year, and then I can go to whatever.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Penn's case does nothing but help Linda Lingle (Hawaii Governor) and the State legislature to get MMA fight banned in Hawaii. There is a bill that is pending right now in the state legislature to impose even more rule into these contests.

V/R

Rick English

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those mall ninja guys are so funny.:)

But I am not one. I work alongside Valor Security here in Everett, WA. I work for mal management and dispatch, so occasionally help out. The mall is located next to a on-and-off drug and gang area (a huge apartment complex) we dub "the jungle", so we occasionally get guys in here shoplifting who are not nice people. about once a week someone fights, and has to be detained. Its kinda funny, everyone that works security here either has a police, military, corrections, or explorer background.

Penn's case does nothing but help Linda Lingle (Hawaii Governor) and the State legislature to get MMA fight banned in Hawaii. There is a bill that is pending right now in the state legislature to impose even more rule into these contests.
No, it doesnt help. thank god it didnt happen in california. they just got back the "right to fight", thanks to awnowld.

OP
R

RSJ

The Clash's song 'I fought the law' comes to mind here. As the chorus goes " I fought the law//and the law won".

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Drunks fighting, cops show up, people get arrested, nothing too "shady" there...its not an episode of "The Shield" were talking about. This kind of stuff happens everyday. Just because some peoples "heros" are involved, accusations of police impropriety start getting thrown around....:shrug:

If this was some "nobody" involved Id bet everybody would be saying "he deserves what he gets".
I have to agree.

I have been stopped, detained, and questioned by many LEO resulting from anything like parking tickets, speeding tickets, brawls, domestic violence (not my marital relation), etc., the one thing is for sure, LEOs have a tough job and people have a tendancy to esculate their anxiety, causing LEOs to esculate theirs. (Raised in New Orleans and events such as Mardi Gras will test LEO anxiety.)

Basically, I believe, no LEO will spray nor warrant a punch in the face. Many will identify themselves as one just to control a situation.

And I say-he deserves what he gets.

OP
S

SammyB57

Think about this.... one of his buddies, or even his brother is caught up in the middle of a brawl and he goes in to get him out. Someone pushes him, he turns aruond, smacks the guy, and finds out he's an officer.

We weren't there. We don't know. It's not really our place to assume what went down.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
Think about this.... one of his buddies, or even his brother is caught up in the middle of a brawl and he goes in to get him out. Someone pushes him, he turns aruond, smacks the guy, and finds out he's an officer.

We weren't there. We don't know. It's not really our place to assume what went down.
your'e right. But given a persons nature and if they were in trouble before...welll

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
Well, that's why we read the news. Hopefully we'll get the true story there.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
seems more likely.

Latest Discussions