J

Jaymeister

Well that's REALLY gonna help the reputation of MMA :rolleyes:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Well, that's a pretty stupid thing to do.
Well yeah that goes without saying, even if the guy was drunk (and probably was as it was at a party ... what usually happens at parties?...right.)
So, hopefully he'll learn something from it.

OP
R

RMACKD

He was sprayed with mace by the officer and he was probaly drinking so it does not seem to suprising.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont know of any LEO agencies that carry Mace anymore....

OP
R

RMACKD

There are many variations of this story. Most stories agree that he was sprayed with either mace or pepper spray. Some say he was fighting and then he hit the cop who sprayed him and other parts of the story say he was on his way to his car while and got sprayed and nailed the guy. Some say he hit the cop before getting sprayed and others say he got sprayed and swung wildly. Some stories say that the cop was beating on B.J. and pulled off but most say the cop tackled him from behind and was immediatly pulled off(much more likely considering how good b.j. is, probaly wouldn't be getting a beatdown from a cop). The most outrageous story is that B.J. was running around knocking out several cops while singing ice cube's f*** the police.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting sprayed by the police doesn't give justification to strike them.

OP
R

rmcpeek

Not a very smart thing to do. Wonder if he'll get any jail time if convicted.

OP
S

Semaj

now I dont know... but the question remains. If you are in a brawl, and someone sprays you with mace and you duff them to find out they were a police officer. When does "Self defence" end and "assaulting" begin?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you're saying you have a right to be in a brawl, and not be maced or assaulted while in said brawl?

OP
B

BoxANT

i guess being a good fighter doesn't make you a smart citizen.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Semaj said:
now I dont know... but the question remains. If you are in a brawl, and someone sprays you with mace and you duff them to find out they were a police officer. When does "Self defence" end and "assaulting" begin?
Usually the guy yelling "STOP POLICE GET ON THE GROUND!" as he is spraying you is a pretty good clue. The uniform, belt and badge are pretty good indicators too. Typically when the police arrive most people notice them....

OP
S

Semaj

Nice how everyone assumes I mean your in the middle of the fray, swinging and hurting peope...You can be in a brawl and not actually trying to hurt anyone.

How do you know he wasnt trying to help stop the brawl or his buddies from brawling... and the police officers, rather than adressing themselves as one just jumped in to break it up. BJ it holding one of his freinds back, gets grabbed and turns around right into someone putting something in his eyes and takes a swing in self defense.

Did the officer address himself as one? I doubt it. If police officers screamed break it up while holding billy clubs, anyone within hearing range can and ususally does stop what the hell they are doing, at least to see who the hell is talking, and then they all slow down what they are doing

I'm not saying BJ Penn is not at fault, for all I know he instigated the brawl, hurt a few patrons and then continued raging on the police. But I am saying there is that chance maybe he is being unfairly tried until all the real evidence form the case comes in, a la people not involved telling thier stories.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Penn allegedly hit officer Oscar Pauoa, 42, with a blind-side punch to his left eye and tried to run away, police told the Advertiser.
Sounds like he knew who he hit then tried to run away to me.....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We could definitely use mroe details, but it sounds like he made some bad decisions any way you slice it.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im definitely not saying this guy is "evil" or a "bad guy". Lots of people make bad decisions, its only human. I just dont buy the police stealthily materializing out of nowhere and people getting sprayed having no idea whats going on and "accidentally" punching a cop and then running away. One maybe two events could be excusable as "accidental" but as a whole it sounds like a bunch of intoxicated knuckleheads who didnt want to go "with the program" once the cops arrived.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How did you find out about that secret training program!!!! ;)

Latest Discussions