PC to Mac?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering moving to Mac from XP. Any advice?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Take some of the courses offered at your local Mac store that is if you have a local Mac store. And they make some damn impressive laptops.

Another consideration if you are talking for business is that Mac has made it clear that they really have no interest in enterprise.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well Bob, you know how I feel :) Im a dedicated Mac user. I think you might really like it especially if you want to continue using graphics and photography programs, Mac is by far the choice of photographers ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I think you need to buy some t-shirts and jeans; I think we can probably find you a boring guy in a suit to stand next to... ;)

Seriously -- for your photography stuff, my guess is that you probably ought to switch. Mac has been the preference for graphic artist types for years now, unless things went and changed behind my back.

For web hosting... Don't know. That's why I'm paying YOU to figure that stuff out! :lol:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live in Firefox. mac version avail
Need to test against IE. No current mac version available. There is Safari, Chrome, etc.
I use Dreamweaver (mac), Photoshop (mac) and Eudora (outdated version available).

Other software:
MS Office 2000 (Open Office is avail)
WinZip - ??
WinRar - ??
Quickbooks (Mac version available. Can it import a PC database?)

Need a good FTP program, offline log file analyzer, telnet/ssh client as well.

How about DOS/Win9x/etc emulation? I've got a lot of legacy windows and dos programs I'd still like to run from time to time.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work in a school, and there are still Macs here and there, although the district has mostly switched to PCs now.

I live in Firefox. mac version avail
Need to test against IE. No current mac version available. There is Safari, Chrome, etc.
I use Dreamweaver (mac), Photoshop (mac) and Eudora (outdated version available).

IE dropped Mac - but Firefox is better anyway; the Mac version of IE was kind of buggy.

Other software:
MS Office 2000 (Open Office is avail)

You can get office for Macs - but Open Office is free, and does all the same things.

WinZip - ??

Yes - or other free equivalents.

WinRar - ??
Quickbooks (Mac version available. Can it import a PC database?)

Need a good FTP program, offline log file analyzer, telnet/ssh client as well.
Those I don't know about

How about DOS/Win9x/etc emulation? I've got a lot of legacy windows and dos programs I'd still like to run from time to time.
Yes, there's a DOS shell available on Macs; it comes with, unless things have changed since the last school update (either System 9 or 10, depending on the machine).

Edited to add: The only department at my school that still buys Macs in preference to PCs is the Art Department - it's like that all over the district, and for a reason.

Last edited:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

Mac's are great in their "look and feel", and the way they "handle" in graphics programs is indescribable but noticeably different (more "sensitive"? "precise"? "smoother"?) than the way the same program "handles" on a PC. Photoshop..Illustrator...etc.

But you will pay more for everything associated with a Mac vs. a PC.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmn,

Personally I find the mac too restrictive in handling things and many simple things are done too backwards. Unless you need to run Adobe Suites for high quality graphics arts or use their garage band, then I'd stay away from it. Every year there's a hacking contest, osx and windows both get cracked, so if you're looking for safety, it's only marginally better.

If you want to try something different, you can try linux. You can download and burn a "live CD" to test out linux without installing it. things work basically like windows, you got right click that works right, and it's super customizable with tons of themes if you don't like the default look. linux comes with firefox, open office, zip programs, book keeping programs, and more. also it hasn't lost that hacking contest yet. We can't say it's security is best, but is sure beats most of the competition out there.

Also linux can use wine to use most windows programs (it's an emulator for win 98,2000,xp,nt, etc), otherwise you can use virtualization via virtual box to install a copy of windows inside linux and run the program natively from that environment.

Basically any program you could need, is generally available, for free.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Linux. But getting the programs I depend on to work on it is a royal pain in the ***. I need Photoshop, not the mess that is GIMP. Don't get me wrong, GIMPs fine for some things, but it lags Photoshop in a number of areas, user friendliness being one of them. I want to edit my graphics, not spend 6 months learning how to write plugins. I live in Dreamweaver. There isn't a native version, the emulation is imperfect, and there isn't an equivilent with the stability and power available. Last time I tried watching a dvd on my CENTOS box, it was a rather trying and ultimately non-working event as well. I appreciate linux for what it is, (and insist on it on my servers) but ultimately need something less "geeky" for my daily use.

I'd prefer to stay with Windows, but, neither Vista or 7 appeal to me, and XP is EOL'd so I'm limited. Plus, I've been going more graphics as of late, and it seems more photographers are also running mac so, it's seeming like a possible move.

Course, I'll probably be calling the mac guru's at 3am asking things like "how do I copy a file again?"

:D

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My work PC has had 3 lethal viruses in 6 months. I have to run 2 different anti-spy, security software just to function. When I wanna do something, I tie myself into a pretzel trying to find the menu or system that it might be in.

My home MAC has never had a single virus. I bought it used for $700 six years ago, and aside from a small hard drive issue, runs simply and intuitively. I get the weird feeling that it will still be running in another 2 years.

So.....graphics and photography aside....MAC for sure.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That brings me to another question: What's the best AV & anti malware software for a mac?

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't run any AV or anti-spyware software on my MAC. None. So, I have no idea what the best software would be!

1. It's such a small selection of the overall computer market, that bugs aren't often written for MAC.
2. Linux is a real stable OS
3. MAC OS has a Utility function so you can check permissions on all files. Anything that isn't supposed to be there gets 'repaired' or 'removed'.

Maybe it's foolish of me, but since I haven't had a virus in 6 years, I figure I'm not gonna get any (especially considering the rate of infection of my work PC)

As someone smartly posted earlier, 'you get what you pay for'. Buying a MAC is like buying a computer version of a BMW.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ive been using Apple computers for 15 years+ now and in that time I THINK I have gotten 1 virus and that was maybe 11 or 12 years ago.

Seriously though, Mac is a simple computer to use compared to PC, its easy to install and uninstall software, the programs that are made for Mac are top notch. Yes you pay more but you are also paying for the security that Apple provides for its computers. You dont have to worry about constantly checking for viruses. Tech support is pretty damned good too if there is an issue. There is Boot camp, if you need to run windows as well :)

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob, talk to someone at a Mac Store. They can transfer your entire PC to the Mac in minutes (whatever transfer rate is). Also, you can Run XP on a Mac as well, in fact you can have XP at the top, and Mac on the bottom etc.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're hitting the Mac store on Tuesday, gonna go grill a Genius LOL.