Pat Robertson calls for assassination of Chavez

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Come on this guy was not a priest. To blame organized Christianity is kind of a stretch. To date ALL of the preists I have ever met have been very good people who have never expressed any intolerance of any person.
Perhaps not, but he is considered to be one of the most outspoken Christians and a pseudo-leader in that arena.

And I can see where you draw the conclusion that I'm blaming organized Christianity, but I left because of the major players in that arena would espouse ideas and dogma that were not befitting Christiandom, IMVHO.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
DngrRuss said:
It only proves that morons on both the left and the right can be Un-American.
Hahaha, good point. I guess you can get away with saying things like this when you own the show you're speaking on. I wonder if he would get fired for saying something like that on a show that wasn't his? Hopefully the 700 club drops to about 7 members now, but I doubt it.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
a serious note, blaming christianity for this guys remarks is like blaming the catholic church for breeding pedophiles.

on a more serious note, here we have a wacky, lunatic American making ignorant un-American remarks... i always knew he was a liberal.
From the CBN (700 Club Web Site) ..

It's alleged that the radical left in the west has forged an alliance with radical Muslims who want to destroy the west. CBN News witnessed this strange coalition in London in 2003: a massive anti-American, anti-war demonstration by radical leftists and radical Muslims. They are two groups with seemingly nothing in common except hatred of America, capitalism, and Israel.

The Hip Hop music and the pot smoke was an odd mix with the headscarves and the Muslim call to prayer. But it got even stranger when the leftists, who had been shouting obscenities and death threats against George Bush, became reverent during the prayer.

It's a strange mix: radical leftists who hate religion and radical Muslims who want to make the whole world religious.

But much of what the left is now saying about the war on terror, Iraq, and Israel, is the same thing said by radical clerics on Arab satellite TV channels. At their joint demonstrations, the two groups speak the same language, with this claim by the head of the Muslims Association of Britain, that the Al-Qaeda threat is made up.
Yeah ... Robertson is a leftist .... now that's funny.

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
a serious note, blaming christianity for this guys remarks is like blaming the catholic church for breeding pedophiles. :rolleyes:

on a more serious note, here we have a wacky, lunatic American making ignorant un-American remarks... i always knew he was a liberal. :ultracool
Certainly catholics should not be blamed but perhaps the structure of the organization and the lack of response by upper management could be predicted to have led to a situation whereby the pediophiles were shuffled around and not stopped.

As to Pat Robertson the evangelical churches with which I've had experience seem to have no trouble castigating the poor pregnant 17 yo or the 25 year old woman trying to escape an abusive relationship. (I've had patients who were counselled to stay in abusice relationships because it was "God's will")Yet, they seem to remain mute when Pat Robertson makes sedicious, viscious suggestions.

Jeff

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Im a Roman Catholic. I dont really pay attention to Robertson and the other denominations. I also dont feel all that responsible for them.....

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Amazing. Robertson is a moron, nothing new there. The amazing part is how upset people get when Robertson suggests the assassination of a foreign leader, and the same could care less when an Air America personality insinuates someone should assassinate a sitting US president. In fact, those same people will go to great links to equivocate and spin and try and run interference for their fellow leftist.

I would dare to suggest had this been a leftist suggesting someone should assassinate Tony Blair for backing Bush (or calling for a million Mogadishus), that we'd be hearing some of the same folks chiming in against Robertson now, running interference for him. Hmmmm.

The one thing that makes Robertson a target is that he proclaims himself to be a Christian and a conservative (the only two unforgiveable sins as far as the left is concerned).

Robertson is an extremist moron with a big mouth, which puts him in good company with many leftists. He's no more of a moron than Michael Moore was when he suggested the terrorists on 9/11 attacked the wrong people.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This would be the perfect time for God to just step in and sort of distance himself from this Robertson fellow.

"What? No, no, he's not on MY payroll. I don't know what he's up to here..."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well he recanted... story here ... :rolleyes: go figure. Mebbe he realized that he wouldn't be invited to another presidental ingauration.
It's a wonder that people listen to guys like him at all. Sigh.

("...and I say to myself... what a wonderful world..." ~Louis Armstrong):D

M

MisterMike

Why are the same people calling Robertson a terrorist while at the same time protesting the war in Iraq whose leader called a hit on Bush Sr. while he was in Kuwait?

Does this not make Hussein and his country a bunch of terrorists?

I'm going to convert to a liberal so I can have everything both ways too.

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Why are the same people calling Robertson a terrorist while at the same time protesting the war in Iraq whose leader called a hit on Bush Sr. while he was in Kuwait?

Hussein also was a terrorist. (At a practical level he was far more of a terrorist but this does not excuse Robertson's actions.) Hussein's statements do not carry over to all of his countrymen. Robertson's statements also do not carry over the the rest of us. Unlike Robertson, I don't remember Hussein claiming to be a religious and moral example for all to follow.

Protesting the war is a different topic, but is not the same as agreeing with Hussein. One can choose to protest the war on completely different grounds. Hussein was clearly a bad man and did not deserve to continure to rule. One can however question the planning or lack of it and it still remains to be proven if this action has made my life safer or more dangerous.

Jeff

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

This is a bit trollish Mike, don't you think? Your inference here is that the labelling of Robertson as a terrorist is a Liberal practice, that the propensity to mislabel this man is a condition of Liberalism. I don't think so.... Robertson doesn't really fit the definition. He hasn't acted to incite or create terror to use as a weapon against a civilian population. Really, is anyone afraid of Pat Robertson? :lol2: Anyone calling him a terrorist is in need of an appropriate definition. Substandard education is not specific to political ideology.

Further, your statement implies that anyone who calls for the death of another is a terrorist. I disagree with that. John Gotti wasn't a terrorist, he was a businessman. An illegal businessman, but certainly no terrorist.

So, your upcoming "conversion" to liberalism may be a bit hasty here.

M

MisterMike

No, not necessarily trollish. Par Robertson is the target of criticism of nearly every liberal group out there. He is the posterboy of the rightous "Right Wing Christian" fundamentalists. This is well known.

The calls for him to be arrested by the FBI are a nail in the coffin for the same groups who assert Husssein had no link to terrorism, and that removing him was unjustified.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
The scarier thing is that this moron is ...

... still on TV preaching as a 'servant of the Lord';

... revered by many non-denominational Christian followers;

... well seated on the shoulder of formidable politicians;

... not going anywhere.

This viewpoint is likely revered by certain members of the general populus because it comes from a man of "the cloth" - "the Lord works through him" .... I just cringe when I think of all the prescribed justifications that many will use to back this idiot.

It's one reason (the main reason) I left organized Christianity and whenever I entertain trying to find a church or local organization where I can take my family to study this facet of spirituality, some **** like this happens.

It's misplaced spirituality. It's wrong thinking. It's sinful. It's ... certainly not Christian.

I'm incensed.
Is he any scarier than Reverend Al Sharpton talking about jews? There is a long of list of leftists with followers harming America, Reverend Jesse Jackson, Louis Farakhan, etc. I guess we only notice lunatic religious nuts on the right.

MisterMike said:

Nah, see that's entirely different. As we know, it's no terrorism if it's about Bush. Then it's just an act of political protest.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Is he any scarier than Reverend Al Sharpton talking about jews? There is a long of list of leftists with followers harming America, Reverend Jesse Jackson, Louis Farakhan, etc. I guess we only notice lunatic religious nuts on the right.
I notice most raving lunatics I happen to see / hear / experience no matter of their affiliation.

But THIS thread is about THIS lunatic. It seems to me you have the problem with his being affiliated with your political leanings, not me.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I notice most raving lunatics I happen to see / hear / experience no matter of their affiliation.

But THIS thread is about THIS lunatic. It seems to me you have the problem with his being affiliated with your political leanings, not me.
His a radical christian, why would I have a problem with his political affiliation? Just because he has backed the republican party by default, doesn't mean he is in anyway anymore representative of the republican party than Sharpton is of the left. I just thought I'd point out for perspective that Robertson is about equally as nutty as his counterparts on the left.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
His a radical christian, why would I have a problem with his political affiliation? Just because he has back the republican party by default, doesn't mean he is in anyway anymore representative of the republican party than Sharpton is of the left.
Then why did you bring political affiliation into the picture by making this statement?

There is a long of list of leftists with followers harming America, Reverend Jesse Jackson, Louis Farakhan, etc. I guess we only notice lunatic religious nuts on the right.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Then why did you bring political affiliation into the picture by making this statement?
Because political affiliation is a part of this topic. Had Robertson been a leftwing hack, instead of a right wing hack, the very people discussing it would not have even bothered, ergo, political affiliation is the only reason for even having a topic about the right wing wacko, Pat Robertson. Your very statement about Robertson being "on the shoulders of politicians" is a reference to political affiliation.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chances are that the topic would never have hit the board...

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Certainly catholics should not be blamed but perhaps the structure of the organization and the lack of response by upper management could be predicted to have led to a situation whereby the pediophiles were shuffled around and not stopped.

As to Pat Robertson the evangelical churches with which I've had experience seem to have no trouble castigating the poor pregnant 17 yo or the 25 year old woman trying to escape an abusive relationship. (I've had patients who were counselled to stay in abusice relationships because it was "God's will")Yet, they seem to remain mute when Pat Robertson makes sedicious, viscious suggestions.

Jeff
Interesting point - where are all the other religious leaders at a time like this? I have heard no other religious leader complain about this statement - not Jackson, not the Pope, not Sharpton ... no one. Why not?

Latest Discussions