Iraq veteran loses cusody of child for service

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Awful, awful story...

Punishing this soldier for his service? I wonder if he is questioning why he bothered to enlist in the first place. This will permanently kill his morale.
...And that poor child...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was talking with a woman at the bank today. Seems one of our boys was behind on his child support, so, while he's been over in Iraq dodging bullets, and other such funness, they were required by NYS to seize and freeze his bank accounts, and other assets, despite having an automatic garnish on his soldierly wages. Seems Uncle Sam isn't paying New York State fast enough. New York, where the government has a black hole where the heart would be.

Hope it works out for both of these guys.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I returned from Bosnia, my employer back then tried to screw me out of health care (wanted to treat me like I was a new hire all over again). Had to call Uncle Sam, who called the company and there was a sudden change of heart. Youre all heros until it becomes convienent for you to be just another "Joe" again....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, I think I can make a Bob Dylan verse out of this...

Tgace said:
Youre all heros until it becomes convienent for you to be just another "Joe" again....
"But ya'll keep on votin republican..."

Seriously, the "all volenteer" military contains numerous family men. As a father of two children, I can speak of the depth of that sacrifice. The American men and women in iraq get to watch their children via mpeg...

:asian:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Uncle Sam took care of me. My only gripe was that it would have been easier for my family if my employer would have kept up the health care for my family instead of forcing them into NG/Active duty Star program health care. My wife said it was terrible.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Well, Uncle Sam took care of me. My only gripe was that it would have been easier for my family if my employer would have kept up the health care for my family instead of forcing them into NG/Active duty Star program health care. My wife said it was terrible.
I'm holding a copy of Paul Wellstone's book..."The consience of a liberal" in my hand. Senator Wellstone pushed for amendments that would have rectified this up until his death. Who says liberals do not support our troops?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fortunately, though unfortunate itself, the injustice here has precipitated pending legislation to protect deployed parents in the future.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Fortunately, though unfortunate itself, the injustice here has precipitated pending legislation to protect deployed parents in the future.
Senator Wellstone died 10/25/02. All amendments to legislation that he would have brought to the floor have all died in committee...

Duty is still a mountain and death a feather.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sad to hear all this. I hope it works out for the best.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This whole case is about money, that is painfully obvious. To me at least.

Sheets also said McNeilly didn't send child support for the first six months he was in Iraq.

Legally, McNeilly didn't have to pay child support until Erb took full custody of the boy in July. McNeilly then started paying $525 a month.

I could be wrong, but from just reading that article, I would guess that this case is a lot less about him being a soldier or a bad father, and a lot more about her wanting her $500 bucks a month.

I mean come on, the arrangement was fine for 5 years, and then once the guy is in Iraq and can't do anything, the chick decides that she should have full custody? That is pretty convenient. Sheesh, the guy even let let her have temporay full custody while he was gone, and then decided she needed to keep in when he came back?

"Hmmmm, if we go back to joint custordy like it was before, I don't get my $500 bucks a month anymore..."

"...Hello is this a lawyer, ya, I just figured out after 10 years that my ex isn't a good father to our son..."

Give me a break.

Latest Discussions