Pasadena closing?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Don't think this would be a problem since the building is only about 16 years old!

:asian:
GD7,
Thank you, I was not aware of the fire or the reasons for the fire until this morning. I was under the impression it was the original bldg.
Sean

C

CoolKempoDude

Renegade said:
The bottom line is that the final chapter of the Pasadena school hasn’t been written yet.

what does it mean????

it means

a- Everything is on the table and still negotiate
b-Only shut down temporary and re-open a few months later
c-shut down completely and have *another* Pasadena school at else where

which one???

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
GD7,
Thank you, I was not aware of the fire or the reasons for the fire until this morning. I was under the impression it was the original bldg.
Sean

It "IS" the original building.:uhyeah:

K

kenpo12

"GD7,
Sean"

If ya hadn't been so busy dissagreeing with everyone you would have notice Mr. Billings post from two days ago stated it had been rebuilt in the late 80's.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CoolKempoDude said:
what does it mean????
it means:
a- Everything is on the table and still negotiate
b-Only shut down temporary and re-open a few months later
c-shut down completely and have *another* Pasadena school at else where
which one???

No one knows yet..... just have to wait and see what shakes out! That's what it means.

K

kenpo12

"It IS the original building. "

Not much of it is original. I remember very little of the original building still standing when it burned.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Don't think this would be a problem since the building is only about 16 years old!

so its the original bldg and its only sixteen years old? I was under the impression it was Mr. Parkers original pasadena school. Why are we arguing about a school that is only sixteen years old?
Sean

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
So it's the original bldg and its only sixteen years old?

I was under the impression it was Mr. Parkers original pasadena school.

Why are we arguing about a school that is only sixteen years old?
Sean

Sean, as Mr. Billings stated early in this thread.... This is the location and original building of the Ed Parker Pasadena Studio on Walnut St.

However, there was a fire here that destroyed much of the building and contents including many old films and documents.

Mr. Parker did have it rebuilt about 16 years ago (thus the reference).

So, it still is THE location of the genesis of our Art. Lots of history here regardless of the rebuilding

C

CoolKempoDude

Goldendragon7 said:
No one knows yet..... just have to wait and see what shakes out! That's what it means.

If you or anybody have more information about this school, please keep us informed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Sean, as Mr. Billings stated early in this thread.... This is the location and original building of the Ed Parker Pasadena Studio on Walnut St.

However, there was a fire here that destroyed much of the building and contents including many old films and documents.

Mr. Parker did have it rebuilt about 16 years ago (thus the reference).

So, it still is THE location of the genesis of our Art. Lots of history here regardless of the rebuilding

Thats cool, like I said I was told the whole story this morning.
Sean

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks it is/was in southern Calif. Nothing there stays up over 50 years. they tear down everything and rebuild every 30 years or so. What isn't torn down burns,or gets taken out by flood, or earth quake.
It is sad that the place that American Kenpo called home for so many years will no longer be there. It would have been great if the Kenpo community could have purchased the building and made it a museum with memoriblia(sp) all over the place

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Folks it is/was in southern Calif. Nothing there stays up over 50 years. they tear down everything and rebuild every 30 years or so. What isn't torn down burns,or gets taken out by flood, or earth quake.
It is sad that the place that American Kenpo called home for so many years will no longer be there. It would have been great if the Kenpo community could have purchased the building and made it a museum with memoriblia(sp) all over the place
Boy are you in for some harrassment(ha ha). :asian:
Sean

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
I know for a fact some of them do feel something. So I don't think I will trust you. The rest I am PM'ing to you as it does not belong on the open forum.

-Michael
You know... I'm not on MT much anymore and I don't really miss reading TOD's posts, but:
1. I was very sad to miss the Homecoming camp;
2. I wish I could have been to/worked out in the Pasadena studio, I can't possibly get there in 3 weeks at this point;
3. I think much of what Touch of Death has to say does not belong on the open forum. But now that there are reputation points in this software upgrade I'll check back to see how it works out.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I spouted off at the end of page 1, not at the end of the thread on page 4.
I have read the rest of the thread. It is a sad thing that the Pasadena school may close IMHO.

M

Mr. Grimm

Touch'O'Death said:
That school isn't the root of anything. Its just a building. The teachers and practitioners are the history. Trust me you won't feel a thing. :asian:
I agree some of the greatest lessons were taught in peoples back yards and in the back of run down buildings and restaurants. To bad it couldnt be made into a museum.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Grimm said:
I agree some of the greatest lessons were taught in peoples back yards and in the back of run down buildings and restaurants. To bad it couldnt be made into a museum.

Who said it won't.......... It ain't over till it's over.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it is more than just a building. I think it is our history, it is where this all started. I wish I was there in the begning but I wasn't, I did not start until after the death of Mr. Parker. But I still feel very close to the history, and even thow the school is closing we should all still remember where this all came from. If that makes any sense.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For those that never got to see the outside........then a couple on the inside front and inside towards the back.

Attachments

• $PasadenaStudio.jpg
    $PasadenaStudio.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 244
  • $pasadenainsidefrontclass.jpg.jpg
    $pasadenainsidefrontclass.jpg.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 238
  • $pasadenainsidebackclass.jpg.jpg.jpg
    $pasadenainsidebackclass.jpg.jpg.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 226

Latest Discussions