Pasadena closing?

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I may be behind on this, but I just received an e-mail telling me that the Pasadena School will be closing in three weeks.

Anyone out there that can verify this?

Are the circumstances causing the closing known?

Thank you, your in Kenpo,
Teej

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
teej said:
I may be behind on this, but I just received an e-mail telling me that the Pasadena School will be closing in three weeks.

Teej

Fellow Kenpoists,

Good evening. You know I have thought about this current situation alot since I have gotten word that the Pasadena school will be closing.

I have also spoken with some people and one person in particular stated, "...well it is just a building."

But you know, it is not just a building. We all know and feel that it is so much more than that and means much more than that too so many people.

To me it symbolizes a home for Kenpo and I would be willing to send a check for a small amount to Mr. Kongaika to help keep the Pasadena school alive.

However, I know it is going to take much more to make this happen, so I am asking if anyone else would be interested????

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
teej said:

Teej
March 8th 2004 it is scheduled to close, I don't know why, and others are only speculating, but someone knows. Could be something to do with 50 years in operation it has now become an historical landmark site in Pasadena.

Dark Lord

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes March 8th the Studio is closing. However the Pick Seminar that was scheduled for the 19th and 20th will now be held in Los Angelos at Mr. Brian Hawkins School.

On a personal note: This is not directed at the Parkers. I do NOT know everthing that is going on. The people that are really responsible for this action should be ashamed and disavowed from Kenpo as well as Martial Arts forever. It is a sad day for all true Kenpo artist.

I would like to say to Mr. Edmund Parker Jr. Thank You for all that you have done keep charging.

Thanks

Rick English

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Yes March 8th the Studio is closing. However the Pick Seminar that was scheduled for the 19th and 20th will now be held in Los Angelos at Mr. Brian Hawkins School.

On a personal note: This is not directed at the Parkers. I do NOT know everthing that is going on. The people that are really responsible for this action should be ashamed and disavowed from Kenpo as well as Martial Arts forever. It is a sad day for all true Kenpo artist.

I would like to say to Mr. Edmund Parker Jr. Thank You for all that you have done keep charging.

Thanks

Rick English
I don't see what the big deal is. Its just a piece of real estate. There is no shame in moving. Could be the place just isn't big enough, and being about 30 to 40 years old maybe they could stand some modern comforts. Get over it. :asian:
Sean

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
March 8th 2004 it is scheduled to close, I don't know why, and others are only speculating, but someone knows. Could be something to do with 50 years in operation it has now become an historical landmark site in Pasadena.

Dark Lord

DKL,

You last sentence states that: it is a landmark and in operation for the last 50 years and this is the reason why it is closing?

What is your point?

Curious

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I don't see what the big deal is. Its just a piece of real estate. There is no shame in moving. Could be the place just isn't big enough, and being about 30 to 40 years old maybe they could stand some modern comforts. Get over it. :asian:
Sean
Nah Sean, you have not been there. Mr. Parker rebuilt it in the late 1980's due to a fire. Hardwood & vaulted ceilings, awesome training facility. It holds the hearts, sweat and blood of many of the Seniors. It symbolizes Mr. Parker, to those of us who knew him. "Getting over it" is somewhat disrespectful to my Seniors, and probably to yours also. No criticism, I am assuming you just don't know that.

IT IS THE PHYSICAL REPRESENTATION OF THE IKKA. It is not the spiritual, as that is in the hearts, minds and spirit's of his students.

Oss,
-Michael

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Nah Sean, you have not been there. Mr. Parker rebuilt it in the late 1980's due to a fire. Hardwood & vaulted ceilings, awesome training facility. It holds the hearts, sweat and blood of many of the Seniors. It symbolizes Mr. Parker, to those of us who knew him. "Getting over it" is somewhat disrespectful to my Seniors, and probably to yours also. No criticism, I am assuming you just don't know that.

IT IS THE PHYSICAL REPRESENTATION OF THE IKKA. It is not the spiritual, as that is in the hearts, minds and spirit's of his students.

Oss,
-Michael

I agree just like the IKKA is the trunk of the American Kenpo Tree the Pasadena Headquarters are the the Roots of that tree. Call me sentamental but If you can't understand that then maybe you need to work on the history of American Kenpo a little more.

Respectfully

Rick

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kenpo school where I earned all of my rank closed due to a fire at the end of 1994 after nearly 30 years of operation. It was a sad day for my little Kenpo family. We felt a tremendous sense of shock and loss (and many of us still do to this day).

Many of us have continued our Kenpo studies and many of us have gone on to other pursuits. But, we still keep in touch and a core group still gets together regularly to work out or to party. The good friends and good memories will keep us together for the rest of our lives.

I am sure the Pasadena crew feels that same shock and loss. I am also sure that your close friendships within the school, strong relationships with other EPAK practitioners, and the availability of other good EPAK instruction in the Pasadena area will enable you to make the best of this unfortunate situation.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have only been to the Pasadena school a few times myself. But going there I felt a sense of history. Like I could imagine all the students before, working out, learning...listening to Mr Parker. was it real?...no...but I felt it nonetheless...and it will be sad to see it closed. Perhaps like when they tore down the Boston Garden. Sure it was only real estate, but.....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:

Oss,
-Michael
I've been there so there went your whole theory. I'm sure my instructor has not lost any sleep on the issue either. Last time I checked, Kenpo was about the practitioners. I say again, get over it. Those who feel direspected are looking to feel disrespected.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
I agree just like the IKKA is the trunk of the American Kenpo Tree the Pasadena Headquarters are the the Roots of that tree. Call me sentamental but If you can't understand that then maybe you need to work on the history of American Kenpo a little more.

Respectfully

Rick
That school isn't the root of anything. Its just a building. The teachers and practitioners are the history. Trust me you won't feel a thing. :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
That school isn't the root of anything. Its just a building. The teachers and practitioners are the history. Trust me you won't feel a thing. :asian:
I know for a fact some of them do feel something. So I don't think I will trust you. The rest I am PM'ing to you as it does not belong on the open forum.

-Michael

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really try to remain neutral if not positive in all of my post. I have never attacked someone personally in a forum. But there is an exception to every rule. TOD is just rude! I know he wouldn't be that rude to his seniors especially to their face. If this were old school Kenpo, Mr. Parker would have sent down someone like Trejo or Pick to handle a JA like this. This will be the first and only time I even acknowledge him. I apologize to the rest of the Kenpo community.

TOD your signature line says it best the trash heap has spoken. I would just like to say that it is just a little bit more of a sad day because I have lost respect for you and you represent a lot of people (Kenpo 2000) when you speak I though Martial Arts taught us to be humble I guess the lesson here is that we never quit learning.

TOD and the rest of the Kenpo community
Have a great Kenpo Day
Respectfully (except for TOD)
Rick Wade

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
I really try to remain neutral if not positive in all of my post. I have never attacked someone personally in a forum. But there is an exception to every rule. TOD is just rude! I know he wouldn't be that rude to his seniors especially to their face. If this were old school Kenpo, Mr. Parker would have sent down someone like Trejo or Pick to handle a JA like this. This will be the first and only time I even acknowledge him. I apologize to the rest of the Kenpo community.

TOD your signature line says it best the trash heap has spoken. I would just like to say that it is just a little bit more of a sad day because I have lost respect for you and you represent a lot of people (Kenpo 2000) when you speak I though Martial Arts taught us to be humble I guess the lesson here is that we never quit learning.

TOD and the rest of the Kenpo community
Have a great Kenpo Day
Respectfully (except for TOD)
Rick Wade
You suggest that the people responsible for closing the School down and should be disavowed of kenpo, and your calling me disrespectfull? You don't even know why, yet you have decided they are losers? That's mighty humble of you. I see you also miss the thuggery that has occured in the past. Welcome to the 21st century.
Sean

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It might be "just a building" to some, but it is also the "home of memories" to many others.

Have you, as an adult, ever returned to a childhood place that you loved, perhaps like grandpa's farm? Or walked in the summertime the empty halls of an elementary school you used to attend? How about that home where you grew up before moving away? Perhaps that old swimming hole about two miles away that you and your buddies used to play? Maybe that nook where you had your first kiss with your boy/girlfriend? Maybe returned to a place that held some significance 15-20 years ago?

It might be just a place--but its the memories of things that happened there, of people who went there, and what it represented.

That is why Pasadena matters.

For those who fail to keep track of "history" will be bound to forget and the significance goes away, leaving one sometimes feeling less attachment or allegiance.

Does history have a place? Yes, it does. Is it worth it? Only if we cherish history enough to make it worth it.

That is why there are different places all over the world kept as a memory to something. Humans generally do not want to forget.

Shouldn't the American Kenpo community treasure having a place where much of its beginnings started, where many seniors trained, where memories and stories happened?

- Ceicei

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
DKL,

You last sentence states that: it is a landmark and in operation for the last 50 years and this is the reason why it is closing?

What is your point?

Curious
Did you bother to read, COULD BE, Cheese and Friggin Rice, I have no idea why it's closing.

Dark Lord

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Sean: Jeez dude, who peed in your cornflakes! :xtrmshock

Complete agreement with you OFK.

TOD, Man I hope things are going well for you. No matter how you feel about the building, your attitude shows much more disrespect than dissing a building.

Salute,

JD