Pasadena closing?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
When I look at those pictures, I don't look at the walls or ceiling, I look at the kenpoists on the floor. Those are the guys I care about, the guys I want to train with, the building is just protection from the elements.

But thank you for the pics Mr. C.

Lamont

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker's Karate Studio in Pasadena holds a lot of memories for me and many other people in Kenpo. I know that it's only a piece of property Sean, but that doesn't change what it represents for so many people. For some of us it's a Kenpo monument, for others it has very true emotional value. For instance, I met my wife there.

Many people concentrate on the negative elements of life, and the immediate impact that death can have on a person, place, or thing. I think that there is a time and a place for everything. It might be the Walnut Studio's time this time.

It would be intelligent to realize that we are all born with the same apparent end in store for us. We are all going to eventually die. Likewise, everything we make has a lifetime of it's own as well. Do we celebrate someone's life after they pass, and hold their memory in high regard or do we mourn their loss in misery for the rest of our lives and loose ourselves in the process?

Kenpo is alive and well (in every corner of the world) and the studio has served it's purpose. It even outlived our founder. I can accept that it might close permanently, but I will never forget anything that it gave me. My friends, my family, my lifestyle and my identity were all forged in one way shape or form by that school, and in a sense so was everyone else's life that frequent's these boards. Think about that a little Sean, and stop being such a butthead!
:asian:

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gentlemen and Ladies of the Kenpo forum and community,

While I do not practiced the art of american Kenpo nor any art pertaining to Ed Parker. If the Pasadena School represent more than just a building. Why can't student or former students make the efforts to save this Martial Art Landmark ?

More than often, I would see community gather together fight againt any landmark building about to be turned down by developers. If I am out of line with this question, I apologized in advance.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Gentlemen and Ladies of the Kenpo forum and community,

While I do not practiced the art of american Kenpo nor any art pertaining to Ed Parker. If the Pasadena School represent more than just a building. Why can't student or former students make the efforts to save this Martial Art Landmark ?

More than often, I would see community gather together fight againt any landmark building about to be turned down by developers. If I am out of line with this question, I apologized in advance.
Welcome to the Kenpo Threads. No sir, you are not out of line. This was brought up earlier in the thread. The problem is nobody on this board knows what is happening to the school. If they do, they have been asked not to discuss it or are choosing not to. We just plain don't know what the status is, other than the IKKA organization, headquartered there, is going through some major upheaval and reorganization. As a result the school doors were recently closed. We don't actually have any factual data, other than this. The rest is pure speculation.

-Michael

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the Response Mr. Billing. Hopefully the future of the EPAK building will remained forever. They should turn this place into a museum.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Welcome to the Kenpo Threads. No sir, you are not out of line. This was brought up earlier in the thread. The problem is nobody on this board knows what is happening to the school. If they do, they have been asked not to discuss it or are choosing not to. We just plain don't know what the status is, other than the IKKA organization, headquartered there, is going through some major upheaval and reorganization. As a result the school doors were recently closed. We don't actually have any factual data, other than this. The rest is pure speculation.

-Michael
As of a few days prior to my last post, I am in possession of many credible facts about the Pasadena studio because Mr. Conatser encouraged me to check out an idea I had to preserve the studio.

Unfortunately by the time I checked out my idea the studio was no longer available. It is too late barring some Miracle.

I am very upset that Mr. C threw cold water on so many comments here on MT because it was partly in deference to him that I waited so long to see what "was going to happen."

I think I have a plan to keep the studio functioning as a Martial Arts studio and it is a good plan. I have financial backers but it is all too late because I, in fact several of us I think (without going back to look), were told not to worry about what would happen. That things were in the works. That it ain't over 'til it's over.

Well I'm afraid it is over and I feel very bad because I think I could have saved the place IF there were enough people in the world willing to visit the studio for 1 last class. I also had a plan to preserver Mr. Parker's memory and legacy in a unique and permanent way. All for naught it seems.

If anyone is interested in what I know, I will check further into what I can divulge publically. Feel free to email me.

If you would be willing to spend money to attend something similar to the Homecoming Camp that occurred last year, feel free to speak up here. Maybe I should do a poll. I'll go confirm that it is too late though before I throw anymore gas on this Kenpo fire. I am not trying to start anything or pick on Mr. C unduly. But I think I could have "saved" the studio and I wish I had not missed that opportunity.

Make no mistake, I think I could have called earlier to check it out but I did not so it is purely my misfortune. But it is still sad. I called several times over a period of several years about taking 1 class there should I make it out and now it is too late.

So I'll go make some wine with these grapes even it does turn out to be sour.

Please don't flame me. At least not on the board. PM or email me and I may be able to either elaborate or start some new thread and/or poll. I'm very upset about this whole thing.

Especially after being at Mr. Duffy's Homecoming Camp in 1994 which some of you have glimpsed via the "Homecoming Video" that was for sale for several years.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Ed Parker's Karate Studio in Pasadena holds a lot of memories for me and many other people in Kenpo. I know that it's only a piece of property Sean, but that doesn't change what it represents for so many people. For some of us it's a Kenpo monument, for others it has very true emotional value. For instance, I met my wife there.

Many people concentrate on the negative elements of life, and the immediate impact that death can have on a person, place, or thing. I think that there is a time and a place for everything. It might be the Walnut Studio's time this time.

It would be intelligent to realize that we are all born with the same apparent end in store for us. We are all going to eventually die. Likewise, everything we make has a lifetime of it's own as well. Do we celebrate someone's life after they pass, and hold their memory in high regard or do we mourn their loss in misery for the rest of our lives and loose ourselves in the process?

Kenpo is alive and well (in every corner of the world) and the studio has served it's purpose. It even outlived our founder. I can accept that it might close permanently, but I will never forget anything that it gave me. My friends, my family, my lifestyle and my identity were all forged in one way shape or form by that school, and in a sense so was everyone else's life that frequent's these boards. Think about that a little! :asian:

Good Post Billy!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
cdhall said:
I am in possession of many credible facts about the Pasadena studio because Mr. Conatser encouraged me to check out an idea I had to preserve the studio.

Yes, I told you to call for yourself.

cdhall said:
I am very upset that Mr. C threw cold water on so many comments here on MT because it was partly in deference to him that I waited so long to see what "was going to happen, but it is all too late because I, in fact several of us think that we were told not to worry about what would happen, and that things were in the works, and that it ain't over 'till it's over...."

Hold on now Cowboy......... I didn't throw any "cold water" on anything! I just stated that there were legal issues going on that needed to be settled and once those were addressed by the appropriate parties then .... who knows, anything could have happened ...... no one knew, and I certainly didn't tell anyone not to check things out on their own, in FACT, I told YOU DOUG to call!!!!! (see first line)!

cdhall said:
I am not trying to start anything or pick on Mr. C unduly, but I think I could have "saved" the studio and I wish I had not missed that opportunity, but I think I have a plan to keep the studio functioning, and it is a good plan, and I have financial backers and well I'm afraid it is over, and I feel very bad because I think I could have saved the place IF there were "enough people in the world willing to visit the studio for 1 last class", and I also had a plan to preserver Mr. Parker's memory and legacy in a unique and permanent way, but all for naught it seems.

Make no mistake, I think I could have called earlier to check it out but I did not so it is purely my misfortune. But it is still sad. I called several times over a period of several years about taking 1 class there should I make it out and now it is too late.

Ya know........ if it weren't for all the If's, and's, but's, & "thinks".... you might have a legitimate point!!

cdhall said:
So I'll go make some wine with these grapes even it does turn out to be sour.

Would you like me to send some cheese over as well to go with that, (even if it is a bit moldy)??

cdhall said:
Please don't flame me. At least not on the board. PM or email me and I may be able to either elaborate or start some new thread and/or poll. I'm very upset about this whole thing.

Oh.... ok no public flames, but it's ok to "privately" express myself to you, while you do as you have done publicly..... well to that I say, "What ever the attitude so the response".... pal.

Hmmmmm a poll.............good idea.... Let's see....... True or False..... "How The GoldenDragon destroyed the Pasadena Studio single handedly on MT while CD Hall stood by and watched" ....... Hey.... that might be a real productive poll..... whada think?

:mad:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Yes, I told you to call for yourself.

Hold on now Cowboy......... I didn't throw any "cold water" on anything! I just stated that there were legal issues going on that needed to be settled and once those were addressed by the appropriate parties then .... who knows, anything could have happened ...... no one knew, and I certainly didn't tell anyone not to check things out on their own, in FACT, I told YOU DOUG to call!!!!! (see first line)!

Ya know........ if it weren't for all the If's, and's, but's, & "thinks".... you might have a legitimate point!!

Would you like me to send some cheese over as well to go with that, (even if it is a bit moldy)??

Oh.... ok no public flames, but it's ok to "privately" express myself to you, while you do as you have done publicly..... well to that I say, "What ever the attitude so the response".... pal.

Hmmmmm a poll.............good idea.... Let's see....... True or False..... "How The GoldenDragon destroyed the Pasadena Studio single handedly on MT while CD Hall stood by and watched" ....... Hey.... that might be a real productive poll..... whada think?

:mad:
Mr C:

I didn;t know you had that much power. I do have a sea that needs parting if you get a moment.

Hoping that this volley hasn't produced too much bad blood to keep good minds from thinking together, I would be interested in seeing some options explored, as well as signing up for even more than one class to help provide the cash injection necessary to save a landmark, if it's still saveable. Don't be shy, CD...post it where we can see it, and brainstorm on the thing!

Namaste!

Dr. Dave

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Mr C:
I didn;t know you had that much power. I do have a sea that needs parting if you get a moment.

Well it's a little known fact ........ but my very close friends do call me Moses.
:uhyeah:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Hoping that this volley hasn't produced too much bad blood to keep good minds from thinking together, I would be interested in seeing some options explored, as well as signing up for even more than one class to help provide the cash injection necessary to save a landmark, if it's still saveable. Don't be shy, CD...post it where we can see it, and brainstorm on the thing!
Namaste! Dr. Dave

I and all Kenpoists feel the same way I'm sure. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, I don't believe the Pasadena Studio will be operable as a Kenpo studio (at least not for a while), possibly in the futue the circumstances will change but for now, we will have to live with whatever the outcome is that the family decides upon. Many, many had input, but nothing viable was achievable.

Memories will have to do for the time being.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Well it's a little known fact ........ but my very close friends do call me Moses.
:uhyeah:

I and all Kenpoists feel the same way I'm sure. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, I don't believe the Pasadena Studio will be operable as a Kenpo studio (at least not for a while), possibly in the futue the circumstances will change but for now, we will have to live with whatever the outcome is that the family decides upon. Many, many had input, but nothing viable was achievable.

Memories will have to do for the time being.

Thank you, sir.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not received any email that anyone replied to my post after Mr. C. complimented Billy but in order to keep it polite I'll list out the bullets of what I still "think" and what I know now

1. I thought I waited too long to contact the IKKA/Mrs. Parker directly out of deference to what I thought Mr. C. must have been planning based on his posts
2. Mr. C. did tell me to contact them directly and I finally did
3. In one day I confirmed that I got in touch with them as the lease was going out for signing
4. I have since confirmed with the realtor that the studio was contacted by more than one black belt about renting it but that the owner didn't want to rent it out as a martial arts studio
5. I had a plan to use the Pasadena studio for "camps" not ongoing classes. Despite what the Realtor says now, I "still think" I could have gotten permission for my idea although I will never know because I may always be suspicious of what the realtor tells me
6. My plan included establishing a Permanent Endowed Scholarship for Mr. Parker at BYU using some of the funds I could generate from the studio, I did relay this idea toward, but not directly to the IKKA last year prior to the "Homecoming Camp." My history with Mr. Parker, Jr. made me believe that it would be a waste of time to try to do something like this with his assistance. I do know exactly how to do it, it was not hard to find out
7. I thought it was plain that I did not blame Mr. C for stopping me from doing anything, I was just upset that a) he seemed to be throwing cold water on the idea of someone "stepping in" and that b) he encouraged me to call too late. Emotional reaction. I'm human, sorry. I was upset. As we can see, there are plenty of people on MT who had the opposite reaction and could not care less that the studio was closing. They also took heat for their position.
8. I come from a studio/organization where you are trained to accept what you are told and defer to your elders/instructors. Mr. C was part of this organization before I was but left before I got there. I am looking forward to the day when My instructor and my seniors in my Kenpo organization are just people who got there before you and are trying to help you along rather than people who you need to worship and beg permission to eat when you are in their company. This culture played a large role in my decision to "wait" when I thought better of it. I am glad to say that this is less the case now than it was in years past and I can see the day coming soon when this will be the situation I'm in. I think Bruce Lee said that he himself could not teach you anything he could only show you a better way or something like that.

So I apologize to Mr. C if all the "I thinks" and "I hopes" were not enough to make it plain that I was not holding him responsible for my actions. As some of you know, I really prefer the "friendly discussion" theme be adhered to here on MT.

And again I'm very sad to see the Pasadena studio die. I have it on good authority that Kenpo or any Martial Art will not be taught there for the next 5-10 years.

Also, my idea for a Poll had nothing to do with Mr. C. being a prophet or a deity, but I wondered if I was the only person on earth who spend $300-$500 for a chance to train in the Pasadena studio with at least one legendary instructor at least once, or maybe even Only once, before the studio closed.

So that is about all I know. The lease is signed. Subletting for twice the rent is not attractive to the new tennant. The owner won't let anyone teach martial arts in there anyway. I'm disappointed that I was so demure about deciding what I could do to preserve the Pasadena studio.

I apologize for coming off as such a butt-head even if it was not my intention. I know I didn't come off very Christ-like spouting off like that but it is an emotional issue which is only made worse by people claiming that is not or should not be.

I won't go post that poll by the way because the issue is a dead horse.

But maybe I'll build my studio in Texas to the same specifications as the Pasadena studio... Hmmm. There's a thought. I wonder if the plans are available? It probably doesn't make any difference. That would be morbid.

I should stop thinking out loud on the internet. This may be the equivalent of horsing around on live TV off camera because you think your microphone is not on.
:O

Latest Discussions