Parker and Chi

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I understand that nobody can speak for Ed Parker in these matters, but to the people that knew him I ask......

Did Ed Parker believe in the idea of Chi /Qi/ Ki ?
Did he teach it?

Not a loaded question, just asking.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

G

GouRonin

I heard from a EPAK teacher who did work with Ed Parker that he saw Ed Parker produce chi-like work from his strikes. I won't say who said it because I don't have their permission but they said that once they saw him strike a man's forearm during a crowd crush/rush and the guy's arm swoll up purple and became temperarily useless from a stike that did not seem that it would happen as such.

I have also heard others say similar things. Based on these stories, and I discount some of them that have been "built Up", I would say there are enough of them to indicate that he did have knowledge of and was able to use chi-related strikes.

I cannot explain it. I do not understand it as such, but he was able to do stuff apparently that was amazing. based on all the evidence I would personally say that Ed Parker had advanced knowledge of body mechanics, physics, and anatomy, that allowed him to do seemingly miraculous things. Was it chi? I don't know. I guess that would depend on the definition.

One thing is for sure, he could "bring the noise" and that's a fact. That's probably why he was the only man who could run a EPAK orgainzation. Simply...wasn't nobody could tell him otherwise. He was the Top Dog.

K

Kirk

In The Journey, I can't remember who wrote the section about
Elvis, but the author claimed Elvis was loaded with Chi, and so
was Ed Parker, hence their strong friendship.

I tried looking for it again and couldn't find it, but I remember
reading an article about Ed Parker where he said that Larry
Tatum had Chi, and knew how to use it.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some of the videos that you see in BlackBelt mag, of Mr.Parker I have all but one and I have some other seminars of him on tape . One of the ones in the mag Mr parker talks about chi/ki and the supur conscious mind and has some great storys to go with it. I have herd Paul Dye refer to Mr Parker as more than A great martial artist but also a great communicator.

When Mr.Parker explains conscious,subconscious and the superconcious mind it really makes sense.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

[/i], Based on all the evidence I would personally say that Ed Parker had advanced knowledge of body mechanics, physics, and anatomy, that allowed him to do seemingly miraculous things.

You just described he definition of "qi" "chi." It is also the reason you cannot have "qi" in a motion based anything without significant knowldege of proper body mechanics.

One thing is for sure, he could "bring the noise" and that's a fact.

And it was loud too.

Proper body mechanics allows many to have some form of internal energy. But it's important you understand internal energy only manifests itself at the highest efficient level of movement relative to human anatomy which may, in most cases, contridict much of motion based martial arts concepts. This principle necessitates one way to execute any activity specific movement, with no regard given to personal preference.

When you are taught a jump shot in B-Ball, they don't say, "You can do this, or you can do this, or if you like you can do this." Your coach says, "this is how it's done, practice." Ed Parker had it, and if you don't move like him, then you don't. And I don't mean an external mimic.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Samurai
I understand that nobody can speak for Ed Parker in these matters, but to the people that knew him I ask......

Did Ed Parker believe in the idea of Chi /Qi/ Ki ?
Did he teach it?

Not a loaded question, just asking.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

He had it, and in general he did not teach it. He had a lot he didn't generally teach.

Latest Discussions