Palgwe calories

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many calories can you burn doing forms? It's not cardio, but I can work up quite a sweat doing them. I'm just curious how it compares to other forms of exercise.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many calories can you burn doing forms? It's not cardio, but I can work up quite a sweat doing them. I'm just curious how it compares to other forms of exercise.

Interesting question. Not sure myself, but would think it would be minimal.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you do it. Done with high intensity, probably comparable to shadowboxing for an è equal time. Done slowly, probably no more than casual walking or strolling at a low speed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm talking about proper technique and power, but also a slow pace between techniques. In other words, snapping the techniques, but not rushing through.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the attached chart is good. Just have to figure/guess which things listed might resemble the actions of a form. Then divide how long the form is into what they have listed, which is in thirty minute segments. It only goes up to a 185 pound person, though. But maybe you could look at how the other weight categories burn calories and do some figuring from there.

Calories burned in 30 minutes of leisure and routine activities - Harvard Health Publications

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to guess Calisthenics: Vigorous is a good category. Its not as high as Martial Arts, but for that I'm assuming is more the cardio side of martial arts.

I have trouble working out (because I get bored and distracted), but I could easily see myself practicing my forms a lot. I figure if I do every form I know, it would at least burn a few calories.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the attached chart is good. Just have to figure/guess which things listed might resemble the actions of a form. Then divide how long the form is into what they have listed, which is in thirty minute segments. It only goes up to a 185 pound person, though. But maybe you could look at how the other weight categories burn calories and do some figuring from there.

Calories burned in 30 minutes of leisure and routine activities - Harvard Health Publications

More than billiards less than running

I found a calculator.
Calories burned doing tai chi : Matthews Calorie Counter

Yoga Calories Burned Calculator in Fitness on GLAMOUR.com: Health & Fitness: glamour.com

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to guess Calisthenics: Vigorous is a good category. Its not as high as Martial Arts, but for that I'm assuming is more the cardio side of martial arts.

I have trouble working out (because I get bored and distracted), but I could easily see myself practicing my forms a lot. I figure if I do every form I know, it would at least burn a few calories.

Find an exercise group.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends how you train, but pretty taxing in some ways. Try running all of the Taegeuk forms through at performance speed and standard, never returning to ready stance and just flowing into the next form without stopping. Do this for one hour without breaking and compare your heart rate and tiredness level to jogging a 10k in one hour. Pretty similar I would say.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cant jog 10k or for 1 hour...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think practicing forms alone in the way they are normally trained would not get you there either.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By "normally trained" do you mean poperly done or do you mean how most people tend to practice when its not the week before testing/tournament?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Both. It's pretty unusual for people to practice forms for more than an hour at a time, and the number of repetitions is usually pretty low. For fitness, both quality and quantity are important.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do them for a hour straight with proper power and intensity most likely 400-600, if you cannot speed up your heart rate and not work up a sweat than less than 200. When I was unable to workout due to illness but could do all my poomsae for the hour my trainer calculated with my heart rate above 110 and the hour I was wet from sweat he said between 400-600 so doing it the same way three times a day allow me to burn a 1000 per his calculation and believe me I have no clue how he calculated it.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardio is anything that raises the heart beat 12 beats or more. Heart beat raises in the higher ranges depending on age are not only a negative but start to tear down muscle tissue something older people do not need. I can think of no better cardio that doing 16 to 20 forms non stop for 30 minutes to 1 hour. You need a variety of movements that are not all linear and give flexibility and range of motion in side and circle motions. This is what will keep you from injury in old age. Read the charts that are posted in most good health clubs that recommend heart rates by age and weight.