Pack Monadnock Mtn. 2009, trying a few different things

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know - it is much more impressive with the originals to compare with. would you mind a summary of some of the actions taht you did? Mainly playing with colors, but the effects that you got are incredible!

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was windy, cold with a bit of rain... NO RAIN PARKA ALLOWED.

If you wear a rain park on Washington, and this has happened, you can become a kite and they may never find you.

I had to ask my dad (since he was one of the people I was climbing with) which trail we took because Tuckerman’s does not sound right and I am pretty sure it was not Lionhead and he he said it was Huntington Ravine. I remember going across a face (rather high up) with my feet in crack and my hands on the face to get to a ledge. And I also remember having to trust a tree above the tree line to climb up to another ledge and I REALLY want to do that again someday. Oh and also remember finding the remains of a small plane crash (tin not bodies) that they had not yet removed...just before we started the climb.

When you go, be careful, it is a great climb, great views but it can be more dangerous than it looks

I believe it. I will need a better backpack and a hydration kit, and a few other essentials before I go up. I'm thinking I might do what some other folks do, make the climb to the Lakes in the Clouds hut, spend the night in the hut (I think they are booked for the rest of the year, they are only open through August or so), and then summit Mt. Monroe and Mt. Washington.

And take the train down. LOL! Seriously...I have no intention of climbing down, my first time up. ;)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know - it is much more impressive with the originals to compare with. would you mind a summary of some of the actions taht you did? Mainly playing with colors, but the effects that you got are incredible!

Hey, now ya know who to call for post-production help! ;)

I actually mean that seriously, I am moving towards starting a side post-production business in the not-too-distant future. I don't know all there is to know, to be sure, but I am getting close to where I may know enough to start getting my feet wet. Start slow, build from there.

All of my processing has been on a netbook with a tiny screen. Once I get to the point where I can put Photoshop on a full-sized PC....watch out! :D

These were all hand-edited. Migosh it sounds bizarre to say that when speaking of digital images :lol: No presets, no photographer actions, I think I spent about 2 hours on each photo finding something that would work. Is that practical to do after a day of shooting that produces 50 or so workable photos? No way. However, I'm doing this not just to process an image but to also learn better processing skills.

When you introduce noise to a dodgy picture, it can often work to your advantage. When you are dealing with uneven lighting and/or exposures, the noise adds a rough texture to the photo that helps aid in creating an "intentionally grungy" appearance.

To start off, I find a basic "look" for the photo. You can kind of see that in the Raptor Observatory photo, it started as a black and white photo. I got that to look the way I wanted it, then made it dichromatic instead. With the picnic shelter, I colored the trees brighter and made the roof bluer to distract from the white sky, then lightened up and recolored the inside of the shelter so the viewer can actually see what it looks like in there. :lol:

You might have seen these before...The Amoskeag Dam isn't a horrible shot in terms of lighting and focus, it's just...boring! The Merrimack River is beautiful, but the north side of Manchester? Yawn.

4522139865_2e150c6572.jpg

So, since this is in the industrial part of the city, why not make it more....industrial looking? (Oh and this is where Shelley taught me the rule of thirds...LOL). I reprocessed the image to look how it might have been captured when the Manchester Steam Plant was in operation.

4520348275_ca8ecc3a22.jpg

Another shot of the dam...kind of boring, and the composition is worse than the top shot.

4618977261_9f2a4aea32.jpg

How might it look at sunset?

4520272357_e82d11ec41.jpg

Or at night?

4521002792_5e50751be2.jpg

I think I'm making traction. I'm not "there" yet, but I'm making progress. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe it. I will need a better backpack and a hydration kit, and a few other essentials before I go up. I'm thinking I might do what some other folks do, make the climb to the Lakes in the Clouds hut, spend the night in the hut (I think they are booked for the rest of the year, they are only open through August or so), and then summit Mt. Monroe and Mt. Washington.

And take the train down. LOL! Seriously...I have no intention of climbing down, my first time up. ;)

We did it in one day and I wish it was two.

Something to consider; I have been in some pretty heavy snow storms at the base of Washington in early September and August can be mighty cold on the top.

But when you climb it let me know how it goes

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We did it in one day and I wish it was two.

Something to consider; I have been in some pretty heavy snow storms at the base of Washington in early September and August can be mighty cold on the top.

But when you climb it let me know how it goes

If I climb, my shell parka is going with me, even if its in July. They don't call it the world's worst weather for no reason. :)

It depends how it goes. There are a lot of others that I want to hike in the area, including Mt. Chocorua which supposedly has a beautiful reflecting pool, and Mt. Isolation, which I hear lives up to its name. There's no shortage of peaks to bag. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If I climb, my shell parka is going with me, even if its in July. They don't call it the world's worst weather for no reason. :)

It depends how it goes. There are a lot of others that I want to hike in the area, including Mt. Chocorua which supposedly has a beautiful reflecting pool, and Mt. Isolation, which I hear lives up to its name. There's no shortage of peaks to bag. :D

Very true, it is a beautiful state and I'm jealous.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true, it is a beautiful state and I'm jealous.

Well ya know, you could always bring the good lady and the tree-attackers-to-be up for a visit. Especially if I can actually close on this freaking condo I'm trying to buy :lol:

Latest Discussions