Outside Instructors

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you have outside instructor come in to show new techniques and help train your class, if so how often and why?
Terry

PS not talking about seminars actual class time here.

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
its happended a couple of time mainly a friend of our instuctor to learn something new a see a diffrent teaching style. sometimes my instructor will arrange as a trade and he'll go teach at their school(sometimes the guest instructor brings some students then when ours goes to them we come with them. we have also had instructors from other arts come a show us some stuff.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
other than seminars pretty much none.
sometimes we touch hands with students from other schools (within out family) so we expand our skills..

haha.. i just realized im replying to a tkd post... sorry, but im bored at work
im willing to post a reply to any post at this point!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
How many of you have outside instructor come in to show new techniques and help train your class, if so how often and why?
Terry PS not talking about seminars actual class time here.

Never! My job as the Chief Instructor is to become trained in whatever my students need. If I am not qualified to offer it, then my upper chain of command is my source. I learn it - - then I teach it to my students. Seminars excluded, the only teachers in my Dojang are my assistant instructors whom I have personally trained.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Never! My job as the Chief Instructor is to become trained in whatever my students need. If I am not qualified to offer it, then my upper chain of command is my source. I learn it - - then I teach it to my students. Seminars excluded, the only teachers in my Dojang are my assistant instructors whom I have personally trained.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Ok so let me get the understanding if you do not know and your upper chain cannot teach it then it is not available? Please not trying to judge, just trying to understand. Now you did state except seminars so does this mean your students can go or only you and then you relay it back to them at the right time?

Thanks in advance for the answers
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as I know the person, and know that they will not be showing a technique that would be harmful to the student or the theories that I am trying to get accrost......also you don't want someone coming in on a recruitment drive for his own club....

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
As long as I know the person, and know that they will not be showing a technique that would be harmful to the student or the theories that I am trying to get accrost......also you don't want someone coming in on a recruitment drive for his own club....

That is a very good point fluffy, why invite trouble, but if you are a great instructor and have a strong relationship with your students do you believe they would leave over an hour or so of someone else?
Terry

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Ok so let me get the understanding if you do not know and your upper chain cannot teach it then it is not available? Please not trying to judge, just trying to understand. Now you did state except seminars so does this mean your students can go or only you and then you relay it back to them at the right time?

Thanks in advance for the answers
Terry

Master Stoker, Thanks for asking these questions, sir! I suppose I should clarify that my response was my own approach, and should in no way be taken as blanket advice for all other instructors. I am fortunate enough to have resources redily available, and a chain of Command (Grandmaster Al Smith, Grandmaster Brenda Sell, Sr. Grandmaster Ed Sell, and Grandmaster Hae Man Park - and many others) that provides answers and training in anything I need. If I could not find the answers or training with them (or other resources within the U.S. Chung Do Kwan Association), I would be extremely surprised.

As a personal preference, if there is anything my students need to know (I should already know it), but if I don't know it, I would rather do the training and research, then pass it on to them. If I did not have it available to me within my upper levels, in most cases, my seniors would either get the knowledge, and pass it on to me, or they would authorize me to get trained from an outside source, and provide it to my students.

I would not restrict my students from seeking it themselves, if I could not provide it to them, but I believe that would be very rare, if not impossible. If they can find it elsewhere, so can I, and I would probably be a better judge if the info is legit, and worthwhile, or how and when to encorporate it into their training.

That's my perspective :)
CM D. J. Eisenhart

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Master Stoker, Thanks for asking these questions, sir! I suppose I should clarify that my response was my own approach, and should in no way be taken as blanket advice for all other instructors. I am fortunate enough to have resources redily available, and a chain of Command (Grandmaster Al Smith, Grandmaster Brenda Sell, Sr. Grandmaster Ed Sell, and Grandmaster Hae Man Park - and many others) that provides answers and training in anything I need. If I could not find the answers or training with them (or other resources within the U.S. Chung Do Kwan Association), I would be extremely surprised.

As a personal preference, if there is anything my students need to know (I should already know it), but if I don't know it, I would rather do the training and research, then pass it on to them. If I did not have it available to me within my upper levels, in most cases, my seniors would either get the knowledge, and pass it on to me, or they would authorize me to get trained from an outside source, and provide it to my students.

I would not restrict my students from seeking it themselves, if I could not provide it to them, but I believe that would be very rare, if not impossible. If they can find it elsewhere, so can I, and I would probably be a better judge if the info is legit, and worthwhile, or how and when to encorporate it into their training.

That's my perspective :)
CM D. J. Eisenhart

Thank you CM D,J, Eisenhart and please call me Terry if you do not mind Sir.
Terry

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking from a student's perspective and not an instructor's, we had guest instructors come in quite often to teach class. My Sabunim was a member of Team Paul Mitchell and we'd have other team members come in to teach special sparring classes, weapons classes etc. These were generally optional/additional classes so those students who did not wish to participate did not lose out on paid class time.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a friend who has trained in KungFu for over 30 years be a guest instructor when I am on vacation or have a work/family commitment preventing me from teaching. He and I train together every week and we go over what he will cover. He also frequently observes my class so he does not teach anything which contradicts anything we do (or, he and I will discuss anything which does contradicts and he presents the material as a different way of accomplishing something). Since his background is different from mine, I know my students "viva la difference."

Miles

Latest Discussions