Doboks or Uniforms

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you allow your students to wear color uniforms and if so when doe you let them start, at a certain belt rank or from the start of there training?
terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're very traditional. Solid white for colored belts and white/black collar for Black Belts. I've been told after 3rd dan, a student will be issued a colored dobak, but since we don't have any 3rd dans yet, I don't know that for sure. I let you know in a couple o' months though. :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
We're very traditional. Solid white for colored belts and white/black collar for Black Belts. I've been told after 3rd dan, a student will be issued a colored dobak, but since we don't have any 3rd dans yet, I don't know that for sure. I let you know in a couple o' months though. :)

You do that Gemini at my school we allow colored uniform at the school after green belt. At tournament it is only white and advance can wear white with black collar.
Terry

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have a Black Belt Club gi they can wear at Orange Belt and a different one that they can wear at Brown. Black Belts can choose whatever color gi they want to wear in class. Testing is done in a full white gi regardless of rank.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are very traditional using white dobok until BB. After that, we use black pants w/ the white/Black v-neck. School owners have a thin gold stripe around the black collar. We also use a black braid on the left sleeve. One braid for every 4 years in TKD. At master level, the braids are gold.

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At our school all colored belts wear a white dobok and bb wear the same but the v-neck is black the master of the school(we have many banch schools) wear a red dobok top with a black v-neck.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Black Belt club wears a blue uniform, Masters Club will (when I start it) wear a black uniform. But I require all to have a traditional white uniform, in good condition, for special occasions.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After a year and a half I wore out the 'free' uniform I got when I started. Around that time my instructor got in an order of new black doboks, but none in my size. I ended up with one of the red demo team ones. I felt like a big red target.

Most of the other students have white because that is the uniform we get when you start. Others have purchased new white, black, blue, and red ones. I was told when test for Black Belt we get a new uniform and can choose from with white with black trim or all black. (This could have changed since i have been out for a few months now)

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
doc clean said:
After a year and a half I wore out the 'free' uniform I got when I started. Around that time my instructor got in an order of new black doboks, but none in my size. I ended up with one of the red demo team ones. I felt like a big red target.

Most of the other students have white because that is the uniform we get when you start. Others have purchased new white, black, blue, and red ones. I was told when test for Black Belt we get a new uniform and can choose from with white with black trim or all black. (This could have changed since i have been out for a few months now)

It took you a year and a half? Must have not been a Century l-weight uniform.....

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
It took you a year and a half? Must have not been a Century l-weight uniform.....

My wife was able to fix the elastic in the pants, so I got an extra couple of months out of them. I'm not sure what brand it is (the tag is long gone), but it is a little higher quality then some of uniforms I have seen.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At my dojang, the color belt, gup ranked Taekwondoists are allowed to wear only an all white dobok in class. When you achieve black belt rank you have the option of wearing an all black uniform when training. Finally, at my dojang only the higher ranking instructors are permitted to wear doboks in a color other than white or black.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our school/system, it's all white for gup ranks, and white with black v-neck for BB's. Unless you are on the demo team, which is red and white (they are ugly to me, but to each their own) or the all blue for instructors (except our head instructor, which he wears all black most of the time).

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We wear the standard v-neck dobok-guep students have a white collar, black belts have a black collar.

I have been toying with the idea of having 2nd dan students who have shown an interest in teaching to do a teaching class after which they could wear an all black vneck. I have a friend who does this at his school.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I have been toying with the idea of having 2nd dan students who have shown an interest in teaching to do a teaching class after which they could wear an all black vneck. I have a friend who does this at his school.
Our school just recently encorporated that also. Personally, I liked it.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All white for us until black belt then we can wear the black trim v-neck. In the summer we are allowed to wear a TKD t-shirt instead of the traditional uniform top.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
All white for the colored belts. At dan ranks it is the white dobok and black trim piping.

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All white traditional gis at my school though you could wear an all white dobok as well. Whe you reach bb then you get partial black trim on your jacket. The higher you reach at bb level then the more trim you have. BB can wear what ever color uniform they want for training and open tournaments. All TKD tournaments then the all white traditional for anyone under bb and the traditional black trim for bb. Testing is also only traditional uniforms.

There is a black belt club for kids and they can wear black pants for training but not for testing. There can be some lackness in training as we also have aikido and tai chi so you can mix and match if you are going to more than one class.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will let assistant instructors wear any color as long as they talk to me about it first. I will let green belts wear black pants with a white top. Once they reach a full instructor rating with me they can wear whatever they want as long as it is in reason. I could not in good conscience tell them one thing and do another. I have several different dobok that are pretty wild and I do wear them on occasion. If the students go to a open tourney they can wear whatever, but most wear their white or team uniform.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We were plain white gis at every rank. The reasoning behind this is that everyone that walks through the door should be put on equal footing in regards to everything except tangsoodo. There are no doctors or lawyers or politicians in the dojang, just humans...with our ego slates clean.

Our belts indicate our personal skill in Tangsoodo and that is our only distinguishment.

Latest Discussions