Adult training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you start up an adult class what do you focus on in the beginning, cardio, streching, kicks and punches or do you combined them all together and why?
terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stretching. Because us old geezers can't do anything else until then. :)
Since we're not only older but the senior belts, the younger adults have to indulge us, but they don't mind.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Stretching. Because us old geezers can't do anything else until then. :)
Since we're not only older but the senior belts, the younger adults have to indulge us, but they don't mind.

I agree with that and cardio is the most important at my school.
Terry

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Terry,

For our Adult Classes we try and maintain a balance between conditioning (Aerobic and Non-Aerobic) and material in the curriculum. The doce Pares system has a very well laid out curriculm and we blend that with grappling and Kick-Boxing curriculums. We have a flexible approach to classes so that students can choose to focus on certain areas that interest them.

The key for us is to keep it fun and engaging. Grinding them through an hour of brutal conditioning drives students away.. Drilling them for hours on basics also drives them away. We try and keep the conditioning part fun and constantly change up the drills and blend them into technique reinforcement. For the core curriculum we never try and force the material too fast, but rather gauge the pace baed on how the group seems to be absorbing the material. This may mean that we don't always get to cover the "sexier" stuff but it's better to have a class full of beginners and intermediates that happily come than an empty school.

If I can coin a new phrase...It's Exer-tainment! *grin*

Rob Masson

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not too heavy on cardio (gradual increase, i'd say they need 6 months on average to pick up to speed and build endurance)
sensetivity and flexibility (coz they're stiff)
stretching

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry,

Let me give you an aspect that we have:

First we train in a garage. All Adults ranging from 32 to 40. We don't take TKD so our focus is a little diffrent. We start ever class with basics (set) and then we get into self defense talk about theorys. Then we work Ideal phase vs. real world phase. No streching because We work primarily street self defense there is no time for stretching in the streets (unless you are waiting for a bus).

I do acknowledge that we have a unique situation in the fact that we are all close friends and a small group ( not alot of formality) so we don't do any warm ups.

V/R

Rick

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our enrollment is on-going. Around 80-90% of our students are adults.

Our system has a curriculum that is structured and lists all physical skills requirements for each level. There are really too many requirements to worry about focusing on PFT (Physical Fitness Training) by itself. Students are constantly moving and the material they need to learn in the curriculum provides a wonderful workout just by practicing. If the students need a break, the group takes a water break or they have the chance to sit while I conduct a lecture on some topic about their training (techniques, history, terminology, etc.).

If someone wants to get some PFT beyond the exercise they get in class that is their business. I'm an educator, not a drill instructor. If students want advice about additional fitness training, I'm a nationally certified personal fitness trainer and can help with that.

R. McLain

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My previous instructor did do some stretchign but nothing big. His attitude was more of "you come here to train, not work out"
i rather have that 10-15 minutes spent on stretchign used towards teaching rather than stuff we should do before class.

I agree with Rick and that in a street situation, you dont have time to stretch.
Do before you get to class and maybe 5 minutes at beginning of class but that should be it.

I will say it depends on how long your classes are. If class are just 1 hr it isnt wise to have 10-15 minutes for stretching. If you class is 2 hours, then sure you have the time.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
It always starts with approximately 12 to 15 minutes of good stretching just to get the old rickety joints limber...

They're not old or rickety joints. Just well seasoned.:) Bill Wallace once said in a seminar, that its important to keep your joints well lubricated. He recommended cheeseburgers! Well, if it works for him......:ultracool

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In my adult class we meet for 1 1/2 hours twice a week. We start with 20-30 minutes of warmup/physical fitness stuff. This can be anything depending on who is leading warmup from variations of situps, pushups, burpees, and number of things like these. We also do basic kicking with paddles etc, enough to get you swaeting and breathing hard. Sometimes we stretch sometimes we don't. Then we move on to curriculum. I guess the theory behind it is you can kick and punch better if your gut isn't getting in the way! Just kidding! But it does help!

Latest Discussions