OS spoilers

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Page Mcpherson lost against Turkey and this means no gold or silver for USA OS 2012. ( is this worst ever for US?)

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yup, worst year ever for US TKD. Steven got gold in 2000 and 2004. Mark got Silver in 2008. Steven and Diana got Bronze in 2008.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But USAT is Sooooooo Much better now, and producing so many Elite athletes.... Aren't they focused on Elite athletes?

CONGRATS TJ!!!! Way to represent the USA.

His place on the team and Bronze medal was earned through hard work and well deserved. Best of Luck to Paige... Hope she gets a shot at Bronze.

Now maybe the Lopezes will dissapear to include Jean, and allow some more talent the opportunity instead of monopolizing USATaekwondo...

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lutalo Muhammad lost his 2nd fight! I wonder how Aaron Cook is feeling! Stevenson lost her fight too. Sorry my friends in UK but I am happy about this. But I am REALLY happy for Jade Jones. Young, beautiful and not boring to watch! ( and I mean her fighting style )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lutalo Muhammad lost his 2nd fight! I wonder how Aaron Cook is feeling! Stevenson lost her fight too. Sorry my friends in UK but I am happy about this. But I am REALLY happy for Jade Jones. Young, beautiful and not boring to watch! ( and I mean her fighting style )

Not sure Sarah Stevenson should have been competing, I know she wanted to do well in memory of her parents but I think the stress was just too much for her. Aaron Cook was spectating until Lutalo's fight then he went to watch the basketball, he's reported as saying it was too much for him to watch, his 'replacement' was, frankly, a joke.

I haven't been able to watch much at work today as the team syncronised swimming on and all my male colleagues seemed to be avid watchers!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, do heads roll in Britain because of this or has the Cook crisis already passed?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure Sarah Stevenson should have been competing, I know she wanted to do well in memory of her parents but I think the stress was just too much for her. Aaron Cook was spectating until Lutalo's fight then he went to watch the basketball, he's reported as saying it was too much for him to watch, his 'replacement' was, frankly, a joke.

I haven't been able to watch much at work today as the team syncronised swimming on and all my male colleagues seemed to be avid watchers!

Another olympic "sport" that could be improved. Perhaps a few pirrahna?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he lost in the preliminaries for bronze, so he's out of the medals.
Paige is about to fight her last bout... :)

ah, watching athletics, won't tell in case you're watching it later but the American girls have just run a stormer....

I could do with a lot of different television to watch everything I want to! We have 24 channels just for the Olympics on the BBC plus Eurosport, spoilt for choice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ah, watching athletics, won't tell in case you're watching it later but the American girls have just run a stormer....

I could do with a lot of different television to watch everything I want to! We have 24 channels just for the Olympics on the BBC plus Eurosport, spoilt for choice.

Just watching TKD streamed on NBCOlympics. They're really not broadcasting TKD here.

Paige just beat the Slovakian lady. Nicely fought, other than the usual habit of contesting every call the judges make.

Two bronzes, neither from the Lopez family. Hmmmm....

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just watching TKD streamed on NBCOlympics. They're really not broadcasting TKD here.

Paige just beat the Slovakian lady. Nicely fought, other than the usual habit of contesting every call the judges make.

Two bronzes, neither from the Lopez family. Hmmmm....
Are they showing matches that don't include any American players? Today was the first day I was able to catch any matches (I'm in Seoul) and all they showed was the 2 Korean players' matches. They broadcast it live and then showed a replay about 5 or 10 minutes later. They did some athlete profile pieces, too. I imagine NBC does lots of that, as well.

I wish they would just show the games.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are they showing matches that don't include any American players? Today was the first day I was able to catch any matches (I'm in Seoul) and all they showed was the 2 Korean players' matches. They broadcast it live and then showed a replay about 5 or 10 minutes later. They did some athlete profile pieces, too. I imagine NBC does lots of that, as well.

I wish they would just show the games.
The broadcast of TKD amounted to about 6 minutes total, and that was mostly talking heads.

I've been watching it on my computer or iPad. They stream the entire event from NBCOlympics.com.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can get the whole competition, for example I'm watching the men's freestyle wrestling, we didn't have anyone in the comp at all, wrestling not being a big thing here and the wrestlers we tried to import got turned down as not being British for long enough lol. We click on the red button on the remote control and we have a choice of all the sports that are going on at the time. whatever the sport they follow it from heats to finals. I haven't watched anything but sport for the last too weeks, it's been wonderful, I've fallen in love with new sports and enjoyed the old ones, who knew that handball was martial arts netball lol. I have to say I don't like the card system in TKD, it's cycnical tactics from coaches rather than just fighting from competitors.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I watched a replay of the Men's Gold match on one of the NBC stations last night. Obviously no American's in it. They was commentary. I've enjoyed watching the online coverage with no talking heads.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a replay of the Men's Gold match on one of the NBC stations last night. Obviously no American's in it. They was commentary. I've enjoyed watching the online coverage with no talking heads.

A good many sports 'commentators' on the Olympics seem to know nothing about the sports they are supposed to be commentating on, I think they chose them by picking a sport out of a hat. In the boxing the other night I heard 'oh dear it's getting physical now'! It's very pleasant to be able to watch without commentators burbling nonsense.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A good many sports 'commentators' on the Olympics seem to know nothing about the sports they are supposed to be commentating on, I think they chose them by picking a sport out of a hat. In the boxing the other night I heard 'oh dear it's getting physical now'! It's very pleasant to be able to watch without commentators burbling nonsense.

I actually heard a commentator during a nationally televised (American) football game say "I think the KEY to winning this game, is going to be moving the BALL down the FIELD..."

Thank you Captain Obvious!

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The BBC folks covering taekwondo were actually good.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Was it just me? I thought the taekwondo heavyweigh division, both male and female, were really really good. This were divisions, once though to be for slow, plodding taekwondoin, but I saw lots of furious fast action at the Olympics. Oh, and those who insist on claiming there is now punching in WTF sparring should have watched the females final. Lots of good leather thrown.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Was it just me? I thought the taekwondo heavyweigh division, both male and female, were really really good. This were divisions, once though to be for slow, plodding taekwondoin, but I saw lots of furious fast action at the Olympics. Oh, and those who insist on claiming there is now punching in WTF sparring should have watched the females final. Lots of good leather thrown.

You are not only one! Many great fights and both finals were REALLY good. Good games and good referees. It was good for Taekwondo. Old champions didn't deliver. USA, Iran and Korea for them worst games ever. Spain was number 1 country :) Turkey's Servet I think was the best fighter.

Latest Discussions