Ortiz vs Liddell 3

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
spoilers for the fight below.....obviously.

So this just happened and honestly I'm feeling sick that this was allowed to happen. I have no issue with older guys fighting but I have an issue with a man who was knocked out 4 times in a row fighting near 10 years after he retired. Chuck should never ever have been in that cage tonight. Tito...yeah he's finished to but at least he was winning when he retired and not getting knocked out. And now Tito Ortiz has knocked out chuck. Chuck looked terrible and did the same amateur mistakes he's always done hands almost at his waist when punching...he did the same thing in 07 against rampage. Frankly it's lucky he didn't die in the cage. The man will have brain damage when he's older (if he hasn't already) a very sad night for this sport and before anyone says about publicity money etc I did not pay for this fight at all I got YouTube and Twitter videos. Here's the ko for those interested.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately no one forced him into that ring. I guess Chuck still thought he had it in him, but he was sorely mistaken. It was clear that Tito was dragging the fight out longer than it needed to be. He could have honestly knocked Chuck out about 1:30 minutes in.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately no one forced him into that ring. I guess Chuck still thought he had it in him, but he was sorely mistaken. It was clear that Tito was dragging the fight out longer than it needed to be. He could have honestly knocked Chuck out about 1:30 minutes in.
No but that's what the commission is there for to protect fighters who shouldn't be there. If I came out and said I want to fight Anthony Joshua they'd say hell no but they let a guy fight who's not won since 2007 and knocked out 4 times in a row fight....also his team should've told him straight up no and refused to train him. Watch his open workouts he looked like rubbish I've seen amateurs in their first ever fight look better on pads than he did there. Chucks obviously desperate for cash since the UFC kicked him from his pretend job Dana gave him but it's not worth it...sad thing is he's said he wants to carry on fighting and how bad it is I reckon he'll with bare knuckle boxing....

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why doesn't he just open up a MMA gym? He's going to destroy his legacy (and his health) if he keeps fighting.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad....a hallow victory for Ortiz regardless. Chuck beat him twice in his prime. This was just a garbage fight that shouldn't have happened IMO. Anything for $.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why doesn't he just open up a MMA gym? He's going to destroy his legacy (and his health) if he keeps fighting.
He already has...but probably broke since he got fired from his fake UFC job. Honestly I've always felt he was overrated. His technique has always been pretty average he's a mid level kickboxer but his strength was his power and his toughness. Once his chin went his sloppy technique got exposed all his ko losses have been when he's had his hands extremely low or really over committing on strikes. He was a good fighter for his time no doubt but his striking technique was never anywhere guys like Anderson silva, jon Jones, machida etc

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah....the commission that licensed him should have their hands slapped....he a is a shell of his former self.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Because fighters don't have any money. Let me tell you how to make a small fortune owning a gym...

Step 1- start with a large fortune

Unfortunately, looks like Chuck is a victim of getting older.

Honestly, if I knew getting older was going to be like this; I wouldn't have done it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because fighters don't have any money. Let me tell you how to make a small fortune owning a gym...

Step 1- start with a large fortune

Unfortunately, looks like Chuck is a victim of getting older.

Honestly, if I knew getting older was going to be like this; I wouldn't have done it.
He did have a large fortune he made loads in his day he was making millions off his sponsorship he was involved in huge pay days on ppv and coached 2 series of tuf he obviously blew it all on dumb stuff

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be surprised if he didn't know he would get his *** beat, but just wanted the 250k. I'd let myself get beat up for 250k.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate seeing old, retired fighters take these matches. But I understand the desire.

But don’t anybody worry about old Chuck needing the money. He’s got more than plenty.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chuck fit into the MMA game at the right time. Wrestlers using GnP were the norm and dominate. Chuck had good power and great takedown defense and was able to win against the wrestlers. As always with the evolution of the sport, other strikers started to train better takedown skills and a more complete fighter emerged that had good ground skills, takedown defense and striking. Chuck started getting older and never really evolved his game plan.

That being said, Tito is king of fighting washed up fighters to make money (cough, Shamrock, cough).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally caught the fight and it made me sad. Even before he got hit, Liddell looked really slow, tentative, and uncertain on his feet. That's not just age. Either the concussions have taken their toll or he just hasn't been training regularly since he retired in 2010. Possibly both. I have a ton of respect for what the man has accomplished, but he needs to give up on fighting and do something else with his life.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally caught the fight and it made me sad. Even before he got hit, Liddell looked really slow, tentative, and uncertain on his feet. That's not just age. Either the concussions have taken their toll or he just hasn't been training regularly since he retired in 2010. Possibly both. I have a ton of respect for what the man has accomplished, but he needs to give up on fighting and do something else with his life.
Looking at it, that looked a lot more than just not training. Definitely medical issues, possibly neurological, IMO. It sucks. At least from here they won't put him on any more fights after that (I hope)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read today that the fight sold twenty five thousand pay per views. Heck, you could sell that many to watch paint dry.

As for the assClown who put on the fights, Oscar De La Hoya.....may he reap all the benefits his karma creates.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah. I was sort of on board with the fight should never have happened. Then Chuck released this statement. And now I feel like a duche.
His statement is silly. He can still train just as hard without getting in the ring. He can open a gym be a coach or a referee or a judge or a commentator. He can work out every single day. Just because he's not fighting doesn't mean he can't be a martial artist. He needs to remember he's got a wife and kids does he really want to be in a wheel chair unable to talk by the time he's 60?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Chuck's. Loved watching him his whole career. Had that been an exhibition fight, it might have been fun. But there wouldn't have been any pay per view.

But that fight never should have happened.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
spoilers for the fight below.

This fight gave me the sads, it should have never happened. Chuck has no legs, no snap. Those punches we're pillows moving underwater. Those closest to him should have shut this down before it began.

Last edited:

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to say unless your older with that burning passion still inside how could one understand chuck well I tell you what I for one sure can, being almost 40 and getting back into martial arts .Now I am not saying I can not get in there tito or anyone like that but i think im far from washed up too and even though some might think i am i beg to differ i think i still can compete at my own level what ever that is now lol

Latest Discussions