O'Reilly -Tides prove God!

Nice reply 5-0 Kenpo, it is interesting to me when some people get offended when someone, especially from a more fundamental christian denomination says that if you do not take Christ as your savior you are going to hell. First, if they are atheists, this should have no meaning, since they do not believe in heaven or hell in the first place. Second, the christian person will usually say, if you do accept christ, you will be saved. They are trying to save the person from what they believe is eternal suffering. They may be wrong, there may be nothing after this life, but they are actually trying to do a good thing here. True, not everyone in religion is a trained diplomat, so it can sound rough when you here their pitch, but if you do not believe, why be offended?

Well how would you like it if someone said that you must be such and such because you do believe? Thats what was said to me, the christian said I must have a bad life because i'm not a theist I'm an agnostic. Thats why I get offended.

The only question I asked of my friend who joined a seventh day adventist group was that as a bisexual guy, how can he join a group and join his beliefs with the seventh day adventists, a group that doesnt believe in homosexuality or bisexuality. He said while it was true they oppose it they are not out trying to make it illegal or impose their beliefs on other like trying to use the law and stuff. I said well ok, if you say so. He's smart enough not to join a group that would oppress him.

From Prager University, some thoughts on God and creation.

http://prageru.com/6.htm

Actually, most Jewish thought, and early Christian thought like Origen, Iraneus of Lyon, Augustine of Hippo and the like, says that Genesis is allegorical, not literal. Paul's Epistle to the Galatians contains an allegorical interpretation of Genesis:

For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman and the other by a free woman. The child of the slave was born according to the flesh; the child of the free woman was born through the promise. Now this is being allegorized: for these women are two covenants. One, indeed, is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery. This is Hagar, for Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is a slave with her children. But the other woman corresponds to the Jerusalem above; she is free, and she is our mother. Galatians 4:22-26

Taking Genesis literally didn't really come about until the early middle ages, so it is literally dark age thinking that took hold with the rise of Prostetatinism, or pre-Reformation.

Notionally, of course, that a Creator started all of this is an idea that I'm in complete agreement with, but the concept that it is that that underpines all meaning and morality in the universe is more than a little specious, especially given the numerous atheists who manage to behave morally, and the somewhat amoral-if not downright immoral and vinidictive-behavior of attributed to the Creator in the Old Testament.

The leader of the religious party here was asked if he believed gay people go to hell. He declinded to awnser because it was a "purely theological question". Right.

Any other group of decent people who is doomed to eternal hellfire?

Actually there are several hundred commandments, but we tend to not talk about them...

Moses must have been pretty strong to carry that huge pile of stone tablets down from the mountain.

Hellbound on the Inferno Express. Don't you know cards are the tool of the devil?!

According to my grandma, "playing cards and throwing dice are the devil`s vice"

Any other group of decent people who is doomed to eternal hellfire?

My people are. Then again, with all the sacrifices in Torah, looks like we like a good BBQ, so hell sounds pretty good.

And that's where all the party people are going to be.

My people are. Then again, with all the sacrifices in Torah, looks like we like a good BBQ, so hell sounds pretty good.

And that's where all the party people are going to be.

Keep a seat for me, will ya?

Lacking a moral compass = you don't share their moral compass = you don't go to their church = you are a bad person

I am not Atheist, I am Christian, and I hear the same. My John 3:16 reads the same as theirs, but I didn't pull my Bible out from the back of the correct pew :rolleyes:

This is a line of reasoning, but not the only one.

I am only trying to provide alternatives for the overwhelemingly negative belifs towards what Christians do, that is all. I have no doubt that there are those that think that if you don't go to their particular church then you are evil.

However, you will be hard pressed to find those who educated me in the Christian faith to say such things. Even when I brought this thread up to my wife, she was wondering what type of Christian would say these things.

How much fun can i have before I go to hell?

Since you are already going to hell, it is just a question about where exactly you end up. Try this test:

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv

My destination is here:

Second Level of Hell

You have come to a place mute of all light, where the wind bellows as the sea does in a tempest. This is the realm where the lustful spend eternity. Here, sinners are blown around endlessly by the unforgiving winds of unquenchable desire as punishment for their transgressions. The infernal hurricane that never rests hurtles the spirits onward in its rapine, whirling them round, and smiting, it molests them. You have betrayed reason at the behest of your appetite for pleasure, and so here you are doomed to remain. Cleopatra and Helen of Troy are two that share in your fate.

Level Who are sent there? Score
Purgatory Repenting Believers Very Low
Level 1 - Limbo Virtuous Non-Believers High
Level 2 Lustful Very High
Level 3 Gluttonous Low
Level 4 Prodigal and Avaricious Very Low
Level 5 Wrathful and Gloomy Low
Level 6 - The City of Dis Heretics Very High
Level 7 Violent High
Level 8- the Malebolge Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers Moderate
Level 9 - Cocytus Treacherous Low

Last edited:
Surely Cirdan, you will be going to Valhalla?

True, tho I now am a bit tempted by an eternity with Cleopatra and Helen of Troy too ;)

Since you must die in battle to get to Valhall I figure I would go to Hell if I die by accident or old age.
(norse Hel is cold and boring so I hope King Minos will make an exception and let me into Dante`s version)

I don't know, Helen of Troy, fighting and endless pork roast...seems 2nd lvl of hell and Valhalla look a lot a like!

(I will see if we can throw a cow on the spit as well)

Latest Discussions

Back