One of the Hawaiian Islands is for sale!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish you people would shut up and take a collection and buy me a friggin island...
:p

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If stewardship is the closest we can get to agreement, that is good enough for me. I think my concept of ownership is probably closer to stewardship anyway because I fully acknowledge my own impermanence. I can only "own" a thing for a little while until I dissolve into the mists of time.
Though stewardship implies managing "you" on behalf of some other party, no? It also implies a temporariness, correct? If that were true, I would wonder on whose behalf are you steward of your body? And also what happens to "you" once that temporary stewardship is rescinded?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though stewardship implies managing "you" on behalf of some other party, no? It also implies a temporariness, correct?
Not necessarily. From the Merriam Webster English Language Technical Manual (that's engineerspeak for dictionary :lol: ):

·ard·ship noun
\ˈstü-ərd-ˌship, ˈstyü-; ˈst(y)u̇rd-\

[h=2]Definition of STEWARDSHIP[/h]1
: the office, duties, and obligations of a steward

: the conducting, supervising, or managing of something; especially : the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care <stewardship of natural resources>

If that were true, I would wonder on whose behalf are you steward of your body?

Even without a definitive answer to this question,there is something to be said for doing something correctly for its own sake.

And also what happens to "you" once that temporary stewardship is rescinded?

Indeed.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you guys....
I leave you for a day and you turn a real estate story into the philosophical discussion on whether or not somebody owns his/her body....

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you guys....
I leave you for a day and you turn a real estate story into the philosophical discussion on whether or not somebody owns his/her body....

It's really been about the establishment of basic property rights. I think a person does have natural rights over their body and over the products of their labor and over the things their labor affects. Whether we want to call these rights stewardship or ownership is matter of semantics, because both of these end up the same in the end.

That said, there are some interesting questions about property rights buried in this Lanai story. For one thing, the people wearing the black and the white hats aren't the people you think. Most of the time we think about the white man coming in and taking property away from indigenous people and murdering everyone. In this case, you had a Hawaiian conqueror who took the property, bundled it up, and sold it to the Haoles as one big chunk. The Hawaiian Monarchy allied itself with powerful business and banking interests and ended up shafting it's own people. That's one of the reasons why it fell.

So, who really owns this place?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's really been about the establishment of basic property rights. I think a person does have natural rights over their body and over the products of their labor and over the things their labor affects. Whether we want to call these rights stewardship or ownership is matter of semantics, because both of these end up the same in the end.

That said, there are some interesting questions about property rights buried in this Lanai story. For one thing, the people wearing the black and the white hats aren't the people you think. Most of the time we think about the white man coming in and taking property away from indigenous people and murdering everyone. In this case, you had a Hawaiian conqueror who took the property, bundled it up, and sold it to the Haoles as one big chunk. The Hawaiian Monarchy allied itself with powerful business and banking interests and ended up shafting it's own people. That's one of the reasons why it fell.

So, who really owns this place?

who ever buys it has an average enjoyment expectancy of roughly 71 years, naturally much less if he/she is already up in middle age.

No different from all the other land on this globe.
Who ever can plant the flag on it 'owns' it. At least for the time being.

Besides, Lanai is much easier to figure out than say all the Eastern German properties that belonged to people who fled to the West. 40 years later somebody had since laid claim to it and really for 39 of the 40, there was no reason to assume that would ever change.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At least whoever buys it won't be moving it. (Unless Hank Johnson from Georgia buys it. :) )

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's an article on it in our local paper.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspremium/20120619__Buyer_pursues_Lanai.html?id=159536115

Billionaire David Murdock and his company, Castle &&#8200;Cooke Inc., are in discussions to sell Lanai in a deal that could alter the future of the former Pineapple Island and dramatically reduce Murdock's land ownership in Hawaii.

Castle &&#8200;Cooke officials met with Gov. Neil Abercrombie and Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa late last week to say the company is talking with a buyer about a potential sale.
Abercrombie spokeswoman Donalyn Dela Cruz and Arakawa confirmed the meetings. Arakawa said it was a "serious consideration" by Castle &&#8200;Cooke that could result in a decision soon.

No one at the meetings would disclose the prospective buyer's name, though some people are speculating that the island would appeal to other billionaires with ties to the island, such as Oracle CEO&#8200;Larry Ellison or Microsoft Chairman&#8200;Bill Gates.

Can you imagine if Bill Gates bought Lanai? I guess the story goes is that he rented every room on the island when he got married.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ownership is an issue of law....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here we go again....:lfao:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/436353/ownership

"Because the objects of property and the protected relations are different in every culture and vary according to law, custom, and economic system and the relative social status of those who enjoy its privileges, it is difficult to find a least common denominator of &#8220;ownership.&#8221; Ownership of property probably means at a minimum that one&#8217;s government or society will help to exclude others from the use or enjoyment of one&#8217;s possession without one&#8217;s consent, which may be withheld except at a price."

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All ownership has ever really meant is that you have an enforceable claim to something.

In "caveman days" that meant bashing in heads with a bone to keep others away from your stuff. Today it means you can have the gvt/law enforce your claim to something.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Law is an "if/then" societal programming language.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the context of this thread, I imagine that law is an arbitrary concept imposed by those (and the progeny of those) who had greater firepower through the history of that land.. while currently the ownership of any land is apportioned through our property laws still I think that does not preclude its pointlessness against the philosophical question of ownership.. Anyway.. get orf my land you hippies.. this aint Woodstock..

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"You keep on using that word......"

89% of all U.S. burglaries go unsolved.........

Every year, only about 63% of murders in the U.S. get "cleared": abuot 6000 people get away with murder-police fail to make an arrest in about 1/3 of murders. The only reason that figure isn't higher is because so few people really lack the will to act on murderous impulses and desires-in fact,though, even as the murder rate in the country continues to fall, and methods for solving crimes-like collection and analysis of DNA evidence-continue to expand law enforcement's ability to solve crimes, the unsolved murder rate remains constant.

There really is no statistic for the number of wrongful foreclosures that occur-we only know that they do: banks have even foreclosed on people whose mortgage was paid off......

The "law"-in terms of property, rights, and even basic morality-is an illusion.

View attachment $166546_469838929698636_1366731420_n.jpg

Always has been....:lfao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions