On the topic of poor Vet treatment.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Long article so i will just post the link. But man how does this happen?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30393368/

Reading the article, I found it very disturbing that the VA was unable to answer a number of questions. Infection control is a pretty basic function of operating a health care centre. There's a protocol for everything.

They're discussing issues here that should have been dealt with decades ago. Apart from the apparent neglect of veterans, which obviously boils the blood, what are the impacts on the community? These facilities may be called to respond in the current Swine Flu outbreak.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I truly thought that this sort of neglect was far in the past. I knew it had happened to the Vietnam veterans but had thought that the public concern from what occurred then had ensured that it could not happen again.

"Behind closed doors" is a sad phrase that seems to hide much of which our societies should be ashamed :(.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a close relative who did in home sales of medical equipment for many years, and she could tell stories for days about veterans getting shafted by VA.

It was really quite sad. My opinions of government aside, it's disgusting the way our verterans are treated. Everything from poor services, denial of services, paperwork mix ups, veterans having to drive hours just to get treatment, when there are multiple hospitals in their city, I mean, the stories were awful. And often heartbreaking.

Every time this kind of thing comes to light, they sweep the floors and polish the brass, and bring in the media to take pictures of how nice the and clean everything is now. But it's a dog and pony show. The problems don't get fixed, they just get whitewashed.

-Rob

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I couldn't bring myself to read it all. This kind of treatment of our veterans absolutely sickens me.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do they know that the problems started just five years ago? Was there a change in the equipment or procedures? Can they tell by the increased infection rate of Vets that had the procedures involving endoscopic equipment?

This is sickening and having had a colonoscopy at the VA Medical Center in Battle Creek Michigan (mid to late 1990s) and knowing several comrades that have been treated at VA hospitals, quite scary.

The VA needs to open this up and come clean on this. This isn't a major privacy breech that the VA has had before. This problem is at a whole new level.

Latest Discussions