On Self "Training" In Martial Arts

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just worth noting i didnt state that bombings and terorirsm or things compartible ins cale to it would be common for most people. Just it can happen and if you are security you have to deal with it if it does happen.

Just worth noting, no one said you did state ''that bombings and terrorism or things compatible in scale to it would be common for most people.''
See what I did there?

...….apart from the fact it's common in Northern Ireland and common enough in mainland UK that we aren't surprised when it happens.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just worth noting i didnt state that bombings and terorirsm or things compartible ins cale to it would be common for most people. Just it can happen and if you are security you have to deal with it if it does happen.

It could be a situation where a shopping centre has a bar in it or the like and the doormen there belong to the centre so can be dragged to issues outside it, or be expected to aid the generic shopping centre security. (if they are seperate) Centres themselves tend to provide all the security or most of it to the stores inside.

Also 10/10 for comparative security studies here. :p
Rat, it is very obvious that my post was directed to one person. There is absolutely No reason for you to feel compelled to reply to a post you have zero to do with. Quite offensive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rat, it is very obvious that my post was directed to one person. There is absolutely No reason for you to feel compelled to reply to a post you have zero to do with. Quite offensive.
I don't know about that. It's an open forum, and folks hop in and comment on posts not related to them from time to time.

See what I did there? :D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. We sort of have mafia here. these guys were specifically bikers. (The comencheros I think. But pretty much the same thing.
As far as biker gangs we have a lot. The Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Pagan's, and Bandito's are the big ones here. We have quite an Outlaw presence in my town. I can't remember ever having trouble out of them. The Bandito's tried to move in a couple years ago. Two deaths and quite a lot of unlawful activity. One of my best friends is DEA. He told me the DEA worked With the outlaws to get rid of the other club. It worked.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It could be a situation where a shopping centre has a bar in it or the like and the doormen there belong to the centre so can be dragged to issues outside it, or be expected to aid the generic shopping centre security. (if they are seperate) Centres themselves tend to provide all the security or most of it to the stores inside.

Also 10/10 for comparative security studies here. :p

A lot of supposition here about how things work. And a lot of it wrong.

The more you post like this, the less credible you become.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

I could take offence that you feel that i cannot comment on something in a public forum, or that you feel it is a compulsion. No issue, but the offence can be taken both ways in this regard.

And for obligtory sake i am presuming you are replying to only the bit directly under my quotation of your post. If not, that is the only part that is directed towards you specfically.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@Rat ,

You haven't answered this question

How exactly, has sport judo erased kata?

Or this one, in regards to boxing and wrestling
How can they have erased it if they didn't do it in the first place?

I took these questions out of longer posts to be sure you could see them and have a chance to respond. No reply yet. Can you not answer these simple questions?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took these questions out of longer posts to be sure you could see them and have a chance to respond. No reply yet. Can you not answer these simple questions?

Or my question about why he doesn't take any of the popular MMA arts: boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ, wrestling, or just train at an MMA gym. None of those arts use kata (at least, not in the way we normally think of kata) and they would all be very easy to verify the legitimacy of the school by looking at their competition records.

It would address his biggest concerns (legitimacy of the art, quality of the school, don't teach kata).

However, I think the reason he hasn't answered my question is because he put me on ignore.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for obligtory sake

I do feel that obligatory sake would be a good way to fight off the Coronavirus, I wonder if they've tried it in Japan?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rat is entitled to his opinion, hes wrong, but hes entitled to his wrong opinion.:panda:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do feel that obligatory sake would be a good way to fight off the Coronavirus, I wonder if they've tried it in Japan?

Sake is typically 15-17% alcohol. 30-34 proof. To be of any use for fighting covid-19, it needs to be at least 60%/120 proof.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or my question about why he doesn't take any of the popular MMA arts: boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ, wrestling, or just train at an MMA gym. None of those arts use kata (at least, not in the way we normally think of kata) and they would all be very easy to verify the legitimacy of the school by looking at their competition records.

It would address his biggest concerns (legitimacy of the art, quality of the school, don't teach kata).

However, I think the reason he hasn't answered my question is because he put me on ignore.
Troll. Call a spade a spade.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Troll. Call a spade a spade.

To clarify, are you calling me a troll, or Rat?

Agree. I think it is sometimes better to keep our opinions to ourselves however. There is a wise quality in silence sometimes.

My big issue is that he gives people advice, and does it with the confidence of someone who knows what he's talking about. Someone like you or me can see right through it, but someone who is new to martial arts may actually believe him. And as others have pointed out, some of his ideas are dangerous.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To clarify, are you calling me a troll, or Rat?

My big issue is that he gives people advice, and does it with the confidence of someone who knows what he's talking about. Someone like you or me can see right through it, but someone who is new to martial arts may actually believe him. And as others have pointed out, some of his ideas are dangerous.
Rat.

I cannot figure out where his perspectives come from. Total randomness most of the time. Saying something for the sake of just saying something is a bad quality. IMHO

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rat.

I cannot figure out where his perspectives come from. Total randomness most of the time. Saying something for the sake of just saying something is a bad quality. IMHO

I don't know if he's just trolling or genuinely believes this stuff. Either way, I have the same issue: he gives people advice.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if he's just trolling or genuinely believes this stuff. Either way, I have the same issue: he gives people advice.

This reminds me of the fact, a little knowledge is dangerous, I welcome Rats views on some subjects, but others, ask questions yes, but know when to STFU.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

He'll answer any question (especially those he doesn't have the real answer to) expect for anything to do with why he's not training.

Latest Discussions