olympic coverage

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was looking forward to watching TKD, Judo, Greeco, etc. but after watching two Judo matches I have lowered my expectations. I know that many / most people wouldn't enjoy watching these "less glamourous" sporting events, but to watch 30 to 40 minutes of sailing (sort of like watching paint dry only less exciting) to catch two judo matches (and not seeing the full matches even at that) doesn't bode well for TKD.

T

Tkang_TKD

JPR said:
I was looking forward to watching TKD, Judo, Greeco, etc. but after watching two Judo matches I have lowered my expectations. I know that many / most people wouldn't enjoy watching these "less glamourous" sporting events, but to watch 30 to 40 minutes of sailing (sort of like watching paint dry only less exciting) to catch two judo matches (and not seeing the full matches even at that) doesn't bode well for TKD.

I agree fully. I lost alot of sleep to actually watch the whole 6 minutes of Judo coverage. Maybe if Steven Lopez makes it to the gold medal match, we'll at least get to see his full match (Witht the emphasis on US athletes and such).

What really infuriates me is that Badminton got more telivised coverage that what has been available of any of the combat sports so far. Badminton!!!!! When did that even become a sport?

A

auxprix

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Judo has been getting progressively better coverage on bravo. Saturday night, it was 8 minutes. Last night, it was damn near 20. Maybe it's gotten more viewers than origionally anticipated. I'm sure Pedro's Silver helps.

Now lets get some real commentators! NBC, if you're reading this, call me. I may not be an expert, but I at least know the names of the techniques! Best of all, I won't charge you for it! Just fly me there and pay for my hotel and I'll take care of the rest.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
from what i read they have a 4th dan doing commentary for tkd...not sure if i got my facts straight...but thats what i remember

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw some prelims this morning. MSNBC, Women's flyweight, not much action there. The guys match Phillippines vs Spain was good. It was at about 5:30 central after greco-roman wrestling, lasted about 30. Nothing at 6-7, don't why they put down that time. Commentary was okay. They kept repeating the tenets, indomitable spirit, etc. over and over though. "those hands can kill" sigh. Hardly any punching. Alot of axe kicks, double roundhouse, some spinning, but not much. Couldn't believe one attack, he spun for the first move, big mistake. Phillippines won, but was close since they kept getting no action penalties. 5PM Central MSNBC is next. TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks...missed the stuff this morning...and i think it's on CNBC this afternoon...4 central/ 5 eastern

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right, Bignick, it is on CNBC but there is volleyball before and according to the schedule TKD starts anywhere after 5pm - 7pm central. Finals-Gold. Won't be for that whole time though. TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I set my VCR to tape what I could, but I was able to watch the whole 20 minutes they showed of the women's flyweight TKD. (It was on on the west coast at 11:30pm.) The commentators were talking out of their asses the whole time. They had no idea what they were looking at. And watching those girls made me want to yell at the TV "put your guard up dammit!" :D

Oh well, it was still cool to see some of it.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp, I agree, both commentators were awe struck when the girls made any little move. They talked about TKD like an outsider certainly not like a black belt. They did say though that the Phillippines guy was trying to fake too much and not much fake so he got penalized the no action half pt. I was wondering why they didn't both get penalized. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Zepp, I agree, both commentators were awe struck when the girls made any little move. They talked about TKD like an outsider certainly not like a black belt. They did say though that the Phillippines guy was trying to fake too much and not much fake so he got penalized the no action half pt. I was wondering why they didn't both get penalized. TW
TigerWoman the phillippines where faking and not throwing a technique you have to engage after setting your opponet up so many times, if you notice the philliphines guy was on the defenses all morning long. Stay up all night for twenty minutes of action the guys put on a better show in my opion than the woman they where just waiting with very little technique thrown..GOD BLESS AMERICA

T

Tkang_TKD

Ok All,

I got a couple of the women's flyweight prelims and one men's fly prelim recorded, along with the women's and men's Gold Medal Matches. I just need to edit out all the extras (other sports, commercials), and I'll be ready to load them up.

They are going to be playing at 512K cable modem speed, and each match is about 30-40 MB in size. If anyone is interested, please let me know so I know I'm not wasting my time uploading.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i can dig that...all i get on tv is the gold medal matches...any else and i'm game for some downloading

T

Tkang_TKD

Edit: Gonna take a while. Need to upload to my commercial server. Long upload time. Sorry for the wait...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tkang, I got the listing. It looks great. I taped all the matches so far. But I'm sure this would be wonderful for those who didn't. Thanks!

Also, like your sig - know a few people who would rather not ask "permission", just go ahead and do the deed, then apologize later or much later. They get their way at the expense of others. TW

T

Tkang_TKD

TW,

Thanks :) I'm a US Navy Information Systems Technician, and Adm. Hopper was a great influence towards my persuing a career in the computer fields. :)

Since you say you got the listing, I'll put the link again:

http://24.161.168.91/tkd

From there, you should be able to right-click, and save as, or you can click directly and stream it.

Edit: More info on Adm. Hopper: http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/tap/Files/hopper-story.html

After reading that you can see what would have prompted Adm. Hopper to coin such as phrase as my sig. She was truly a visionary, and had she waited for permission for many things, computer science may not have been what it is today :)

Edit #2: I have a third womens prelim match and a second mens prelim match that I am still editing the footage on. They should be up shortly.

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

I was disapointed with the olympic TKD. I had never seen it and the match I saw was lightweight women form Cuba, Spain, and China Tipae (or something like that).

What I didn't get, and maybe it is my lack of knowledge with it all was that I saw NO punching to the chest protector and NO blocking!
Is there blocking allowed? I thought I heard that punching was allowed as long as it was to the chest protector. Am I wrong on this?

On a positive note, I did enjoy some of the kicks. There was a very fast jump reverse side kick that connected to the stomach. And the axe kicks were nice too.

T

Tkang_TKD

Penguin, you're right. There was very little or no blocking at all, and even fewer punches. Punches don't score well with Olympic Style TKD, so the punches aren't thrown that often (from what I've seen). That, and punching to the head is a penalty.