Obama not respecting the flag? Big deal or not?

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've screamed about Shrub to anyone that would listen for years, but he's on his way out now, maybe that's why folks aren't paying too much service.

That is exactly it. Many people are just glad for a change that will be coming up soon, and are looking towards that rather then being critical of what we currently have.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what of the current president George W. Bush? Should he be impeached? What about the military personnel and the campaign volunteers and employees for the organization who put on that little show in the picture? Whose decision was it to hang the flag as a backdrop? Suspended inappropriately? In the wrong orientation?

While I pay attention and bring attention to flag ettiquette (and accept correction as well), here is *my* question: What punishment is fit those who desecrate the flag and who shall dole it out?

Look around.

Flag printed shirts. Flags on coffee cups. How many martial artists here have a flag on their uniform? hanging from your door? garage door? bandana? paper plates and napkins for the 4th of July? a welcome mat? hanging over your bed? fireplace?

What shall be the punishment for facing away from the flag and missing the pledge once? missing the civilian salute once?

Hm?

That said, some people are a little overboard with this criticism. Having the image of the flag on something is not the same as desecrating the flag, just as having americana decorations that are red white and blue or what have you is not the same as desecrating the flag. Desecrating the flag would have to be taking an actual flag (or what would reasonably considered a flag) and wearing it or using it as a table cloth or a rag for washing your car or something.

The language is as follows:

e) Definition — As used in this section, the term 'flag of the United States' means any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, in a form that is commonly displayed as a flag and would be taken to be a flag by the reasonable observer.

A picture of a flag on a mug, for example, would not be commonly displayed as a flag or taken to be a flag by a reasonable observer. So, some people (like in that linked website) are actually taking this a little too far.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we're a relatively young melting pot, we don't have centuries or millennia worth of cultural development upon which to fall back upon. So, what we do have we take seriously, that is, those of us not distracted by American Idol or Reality TV... :fanboy:

A good point and one that I had pondered before I tiredly tapped the keyboard initially (you can generally tell when I'm posting past my bedtime because I become 'bolder' in where I tromp my feet :D).

I still find it difficult to reconcile the (good) mental images I hold of some of the posters in this thread with the reactions expressed (and the frankly worrisome implications of same).

By making "The Flag" out to be more than it is, the door to fanatical iconography is opened and paying visible lip-service to a recognition symbol becomes more important than actually having a clue or a plan of how to run the country better or more fairly.

However, whilst I do find the precepts of a discussion based on this to be interesting, I think it'd be better (safer :)) for me just not to look under the blanket of this particular fora, as I suspect I would only end up irritating people ... sneaks off ... let me know how it turns out.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A good point and one that I had pondered before I tiredly tapped the keyboard initially (you can generally tell when I'm posting past my bedtime because I become 'bolder' in where I tromp my feet :D).

I still find it difficult to reconcile the (good) mental images I hold of some of the posters in this thread with the reactions expressed (and the frankly worrisome implications of same).

By making "The Flag" out to be more than it is, the door to fanatical iconography is opened and paying visible lip-service to a recognition symbol becomes more important than actually having a clue or a plan of how to run the country better or more fairly.

However, whilst I do find the precepts of a discussion based on this to be interesting, I think it'd be better (safer :)) for me just not to look under the blanket of this particular fora, as I suspect I would only end up irritating people ... sneaks off ... let me know how it turns out.

I get what you're saying, totally. I don't think that play-acting "Patriot" is what the U.S. Presidency is all about, I don't think anyone here does, but being a Patriot is definitely part of it. Loving your country, and being willing to sacrifice for the good of your country, that's Patriotism. Not just sticking a flag or ribbon on your bumper.
In situations like this, I trust my nose (or gut, depending on the time of day) more than anything else. I'll definitely look at someone's platform. ( except for Hillary, who doesn't appear to actually have one... )

Latest Discussions