Obama not respecting the flag? Big deal or not?

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and let's not forget mr. Bush's abandonment of his own stateside military service. He couldn't even bother to finish his military obligation during time of war, even tho it was a cushy, safe, stateside assignment. Yet, as you point out, he practically drowns himself in the flag, and points at his own chest and says "hey everyone, look how patriotic I am!"

Actions, my good friends, speak louder than words.

Not disagreeing here, but why is it when the topic of a democrat is up, people who lean on the democratic side want to talk about Bush? That always seems to happen. It happens the other way around too; when the topic of Bush comes up, someone brings up Gore or Clinton. It is very bizarre behavior.

Regardless, we are talking about Obama...

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Incidentally, he refuted the claims of his lack of patriotism by saying that he frequently salutes the flag and leads the pledge, and that when that picture was taken it was during the National Anthem, and he was taught not to salute during the Anthem. He was taught wrong if that is true.

And not that it matters, but he has also said he is a Christian, and that he has been sworn in with the Bible.

I mention this because many critics make him out to be a Bin Laden supporter or something due to his not saluting the flag in the pic, his not wearing a flag pin, and his Muslim leanings in his background (his middle name being Heussien, his Madrassa attendance, and so on).

I don't think it is as bad as his critics say, and for all I know he is probably a patriotic man; however, he often doesn't do a good job curbing their suspicions, like with this little mistake...

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear a wedding band and care for it diligently - but I am not married to *it.* My name is a series of symbols standing for sounds which in combination form the sound of my name - but those sounds are not who I am. Nevertheless it is my name and associated with me.

The flag, too, is a symbol and the red stripes in the US flag stand for blood that was shed to earn our freedom from tyranny (only to offer it up again to a new world tyranny - er, I mean "order").

No one honors a piece of cloth. We honor all the symbol stands for - blood shed, pure new start, lives lost or changed forever.

I cannot visit millions and millions of graves. I cannot say millions and millions of prayers. I cannot sign millions and millions of thank you notes. I cannot write millions of letters to my congressmen, representatives, I cannot say "Thank You" enough - but I can honor the one all-encompassing symbol of all these things. I can take care of it. I can help dispose of it honorably when no longer serviceable. I can refrain from degrading it by putting it on my car or hanging it from my front door.

I can honor that flag ... as a symbol of all that it is.

Thank you for this post.

It's interesting how in other posts on this thread people can be so glib and dismissive. I tend to think that their flags mean little to them because they've not felt the sting of loss or the emptiness associated with sacrifice, and they've not taken the time to try and understand those that have. But that's ok, the watchmen on the wall and the ones in the arena will help them live their sheltered lives in relative safety.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's the second part that is the kicker. Bush 43 was as outwardly patriotic as anyone could wish. He practically drowned himself in American flags at some points. Yet, as your own signature indicates, that hasn't prevented him from foolishly putting "Men & Women in Uniform in harm's way."

Outward signs of patriotism, especially when everyone else is doing it and expects if of you, is meaningless. It is actions that are important.

Yep. I could care less what Bush's PR machine puts out. Bush doesn't have a patriotic bone in his body, the way he runs this damn country, as far as I'm concerned. He looks out for himself & the interests of his family and all his rich-*** friends. I didn't vote for him either time.

I'm sick of having to choose from a bunch of "politicians". I'd like to vote for A STATESMAN for a change...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
President George W. Bush has autographed small flags.

:shrug:

'Nuff said.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for this post.

It's interesting how in other posts on this thread people can be so glib and dismissive. I tend to think that their flags mean little to them because they've not felt the sting of loss or the emptiness associated with sacrifice, and they've not taken the time to try and understand those that have. But that's ok, the watchmen on the wall and the ones in the arena will help them live their sheltered lives in relative safety.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

As mentioned with regard to Bush, we are talking about Mr. Obama here, not each other. We are all entitled to our own opinions...and as patriotism is a fairly subjective and impossible to measure thing I really think that it is impossible to judge another person based on their opinion of one picture. I also don't think that ANYONE here has said that the flag means little to them. Nor has Mr. Obama.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for this post.

It's interesting how in other posts on this thread people can be so glib and dismissive. I tend to think that their flags mean little to them because they've not felt the sting of loss or the emptiness associated with sacrifice, and they've not taken the time to try and understand those that have.

You'd tend to be wrong, at least in my case, but thats a discussion for another time.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not disagreeing here, but why is it when the topic of a democrat is up, people who lean on the democratic side want to talk about Bush? That always seems to happen. It happens the other way around too; when the topic of Bush comes up, someone brings up Gore or Clinton. It is very bizarre behavior.

Regardless, we are talking about Obama...

Yes, you are right, this is about Obama and it wasn't my intention to deflect attention away from that.

I guess it just struck me as odd that Obama's "patriotism" is being so heavily questioned over this photo, when the current regime has shown themselves so clearly to be liars hiding under a cloak of patriotism, yet there doesn't seem to be much attention paid to this and the extensive damage they have done in the mean time. The contrast between the two was just so large, I felt compelled to point it out.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you are right, this is about Obama and it wasn't my intention to deflect attention away from that.

I guess it just struck me as odd that Obama's "patriotism" is being so heavily questioned over this photo, when the current regime has shown themselves so clearly to be liars hiding under a cloak of patriotism, yet there doesn't seem to be much attention paid to this and the extensive damage they have done in the mean time. The contrast between the two was just so large, I felt compelled to point it out.

I've screamed about Shrub to anyone that would listen for years, but he's on his way out now, maybe that's why folks aren't paying too much service.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they were disrespecting the flag by turning their back on it - they appear to be looking at another flag in the distance ... perhaps one on a pole?? If that's the case, then they're saluting the flag appropriately. And I'm fairly certain the flag behind them all is displayed inappropriately.

I'll venture on over the American Legion site and find out when I have a chance.

"G"

I agree with your comment.

My Point is that anything can be taken out of context and made to look bad.

I could also say where was the other parties? Since they were not in the same picture properly facing the flag shown they must also be disrespecting the flag. :)

As to the proper display of the Flag, I guess since they were their they support the disrespect to it being improperly displayed. ;)

I know I should not say say things like that.

It jsut frustrates me that so much is out of context and then blown up to become a big deal.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The issue of the Flag is this: the Flag represents something, whether physical or ideal, it's a symbolic proxy. Every elementary school student knows the Pledge of Allegiance: it stands for our Republic, a nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
If Obama doesn't know how to properly respect our nation's flag, he should be taught how. If he actually doesn't respect the flag, instead of spinning it into some kind of misunderstanding, then this should be addressed. "Sometimes he salutes, sometimes he doesn't" doesn't hold water for me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a serious question - would any of you chaps be open to hearing just how out-of-the-water such strongly worded protestations, about a politician not 'respecting the flag', sounds to people (well this person is all I can speak for) who've had a functioning government for quite a few multiples of the time your country has been in existence?

I can appreciate that these are not elections for my country and can quite understand if noone wishes a dialogue on the nature of fanatacism in the modern world. However, when such diatribic outpourings are vented on a public forum (and this is the first time I've ever witnessed this so please bear with me) it gives a very definite impression around the globe ... and it's not a positive one.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what of the current president George W. Bush? Should he be impeached? What about the military personnel and the campaign volunteers and employees for the organization who put on that little show in the picture? Whose decision was it to hang the flag as a backdrop? Suspended inappropriately? In the wrong orientation?

While I pay attention and bring attention to flag ettiquette (and accept correction as well), here is *my* question: What punishment is fit those who desecrate the flag and who shall dole it out?

Look around.

Flag printed shirts. Flags on coffee cups. How many martial artists here have a flag on their uniform? hanging from your door? garage door? bandana? paper plates and napkins for the 4th of July? a welcome mat? hanging over your bed? fireplace?

What shall be the punishment for facing away from the flag and missing the pledge once? missing the civilian salute once?

Hm?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a serious question - would any of you chaps be open to hearing just how out-of-the-water such strongly worded protestations, about a politician not 'respecting the flag', sounds to people (well this person is all I can speak for) who've had a functioning government for quite a few multiples of the time your country has been in existence?

I can appreciate that these are not elections for my country and can quite understand if noone wishes a dialogue on the nature of fanatacism in the modern world. However, when such diatribic outpourings are vented on a public forum (and this is the first time I've ever witnessed this so please bear with me) it gives a very definite impression around the globe ... and it's not a positive one.

Well, we're a relatively young melting pot, we don't have centuries or millennia worth of cultural development upon which to fall back upon. So, what we do have we take seriously, that is, those of us not distracted by American Idol or Reality TV... :fanboy:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

pssst! Come over here, I want to show you... AMERICANS! Booga-Booga!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Okay. Not placing hand over heart during the national anthem. Not a lot of difference and it appears he was probably not preoccupied with anything. So I'm still disappointed.

And I ROAR every time I see them pray in an assembly such as that.