Nunchaku Set 3

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by dcence

Yes, Kenpo is an empty hand art, but those empty hands are good for grabbing something and using it.

:D I couldn't agree with you more.
kar.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dcence wrote: You should see my Briefcase Set #1. It really helped on the way through downtown Vegas on the way to courthouse. The part where you hit the latch and the briefcase springs open and hits the guy in the head is a work of art.

Seriously, teach me to defend myself with anything I might find in my environment. A stick of any length (staff to pencil), a pocket knife, a briefcase, boombox, belt, shoe, etc. Don't burden me with knowledge of a weapon I am going to get arrested for just carrying, and will probably will never have in my environment anyway.

Yes, Kenpo is an empty hand art, but those empty hands are good for grabbing something and using it.
----------------------------------------------------------

Indeed. My oldest brother taught me when I was young and life re-affirmed the truth that "there is no such thing as a fair fight". So grabbing a bottle, or broken piece of two-by-four off the ground to even the odds or to help come out ahead is gonna work. I've been enough street fights and lost more than I've won but I made durn shure that my opponent was hurting at least when they walked away. In the fights I lost/won in highschool I was never accousted by the same person twice.
On one such student I used my hard flute case upside his head when he had me pinned to the wall after band practice.

Nunchckus are a good weapon, as are many others, provided anyone has the chance to use them. But they're not practical to carry around and as pointed out you can go to jail. But, IMHO they (Nunchakus) are more of teaching the user eye-hand-mind coordination than anything else. Being able to grab something out of the corner of your eye quickly and having your hands at the right place at the right time. The more complicated the set the better your chances are at catching/blocking a fast punch/kick from your opponent...in the real life situtation.

Learning to use whatever is at your disposal isn't bad MA on the streets, it's effective. Learning various types of formal weapons in the DOJO helps adapts whats at hand on the street. Being a survivor of such environs I see no problem with it. Attackers/muggers/gangs aren't gonna be as formal and choosy. Why should you?

MA weaponry decades and centuries ago had practical real life (fighting) applications, these days they're more for show than anything else. But they are an effective teaching tool as a student can learn more about themselves and their abilities by learning and mastering those weapons...in the DOJO.

:asian:

M

MisterMike

I have to agree with the main direction of this thread. But I would be a hypocrite to say they are antiquated and of no use. I practice in the art of Kobu-Jutsu and while 90% of these weapons are not even remembered by most today, I just enjoy learning about the past.

Many methods can be directly transferred to a broom handle (or one broken in half :D) and can be put to use rather effectively.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, here is the Set #1. I will post the Set #2 shortly. Later this week, I will post the #3 once I have learned it well enough.

Notes clarifications: R = right, L = Left, N = nunchaku, LNB = left neutral bow, DS = drag step, LPS = left pivot stance, R pivot figure 8 = R hand moves nunchaku in figure 8 while R foot is in pivot position, RH = roundhouse, 1/2 8 = nunchaku in circular move on side.

Nunchaku Set #1

Ready position, N behind R arm, N under R arm, snap head to L as you slide L foot back slightly to to LNB, DS fwd to LNB with L vertical snap punch to nose, LPS with R pivot figure 8, R step through RH kick to head, plant fwd to RNB, look, step and cover toward 3:00 with a LNB.

DS fwd to LNB with L vert snap punch to nose, LPS with R pivot figure 8, R step through RH kick to head, plant forward to RNB.

DS fwd to RNB with R 1/2 8 RPS with L snap punch to solar plexus, L guard up, L step through RH kick to head, plant forward to LNB, look, step and cover toward 9:00 with a RNB.

DS forward to RNB with R 1/2 8 RPS with L snap punch to solar plexus, L guard up, L step through RH kick to head, plant forward to LNB, look R, L foot slides to horse, N behind R arm, ready stance.

- Ceicei

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only one I learned was the EPAK one for 2nd Black. It was certainly much, much longer and more involved than this.

This looks like a good drill for the beginning student to start getting used to the sticks. I am relatively certain it is not an original part of the curriculum, but something created and inserted to help students on their way.

Oss,
-MB

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
The only one I learned was the EPAK one for 2nd Black. It was certainly much, much longer and more involved than this.

This looks like a good drill for the beginning student to start getting used to the sticks. I am relatively certain it is not an original part of the curriculum, but something created and inserted to help students on their way.

Oss,
-MB

It could be that the lesser nunchaku sets we have would train us and lead up to the one you are thinking about, the 2nd black nunchaku set.

Our core instruction is supposed to be EPAK, but I am aware that dojo I train in do have some additional techniques (such as ground-fighting) to expand our knowledge/skills and make it into a good self-defense training.

I do wonder, however, how much variation there are among the Kenpo schools that profess to use/teach Parker's system?

There are other (Parker) Kenpo schools I have seen whose training schedule may have a few technique difference (ie. some techniques put under one belt color and in another school, these same techniques placed under a different color). Even a scan on the internet of some Kenpo schools that put their techniques online may place them in different color categories. I have not found a kenpo school to be identical to another (unless they branched off from each other [parent dojo] or work together extensively). The only similarity being that they all have the Ed Parker techniques, just not necessarily in the same order.

Even then, I have noted there are some minor variations within the same technique (maybe an additional move here or there or the change of one strike (ie. a palm instead of a punch).

Noting some earlier objections in this thread about adhering to the tradition of a martial arts system, specifically EPAK: Why would it matter how Kenpo is taught if in the end, the students have learned all the necessary techniques needed to achieve 1st dan? Why would it matter if there are additional techniques on top of the core techniques--this shouldn't make the student be any less than a kenpoist?

- Ceicei

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ceicei

Why would it matter if there are additional techniques on top of the core techniques--this shouldn't make the student be any less than a kenpoist?

I don't think that adding additional information makes a student any less of a Kenpoist at all... I do, however, think deleting something is a different story all together.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tonight, I will put on Nunchaku Set #2 for your perusal.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill Lear
I don't think that adding additional information makes a student any less of a Kenpoist at all... I do, however, think deleting something is a different story all together.

No argument with you there. To delete or replace with something different would alter the system.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nunchaku Set # 2

Ready position, N behind R arm, under R arm, snap your head to left (facing 9:00), hopping L front kick, L back fist, RPS, R cross whip, R hatchet kick, R 1/2 8, R lift, L lift, L RH kick, L full 8, R lift, ready, butterfly kick, look to 3:00, step and cover.

R shoulder whip, R hopping front kick, R cross strike, R lift, L pivot punch, L hatchet kic, RPS, R 1/2 8, R lift, L lift, R RH kick, LPS, L full 8, L lift, ready, butterfly kick.

L N behind arm, N under arm, R hopping front kick, R back fist, LPS, L cross whip, L hatchet kick, L 1/2 8, L lift, R lift, R RH kick, R full 8, R lift, ready, butterfly kick, look to 9:00, step and cover.

L shoulder whip, L hopping front kick, L cross strike, R pivot punch, R hatchet kick, LPS, L 1/2 8, L lift, R lift, L RH kick, RPS, R full 8, R lift, ready, butterfly kick, N behind R arm, ready position.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nunchaku Set #3

Ready stance holding nunchaku in front, step forward to 12:00 in a LNB with R shoulder whip, LPS R cross strike, rotate clockwise as you drop to a R 45 degree cat to 6:00, R behind the arm, step through forward to LPS R 1/2 8, cover to 12:00 in RNB R inverted 8, catch behind the R arm, lunge toward 9:00 to LPS R figure 8, R cross strike, R lift, L lift, rotate clockwise to $ cat facing 3:00, step out to RPS with L cross strike, step through forward to LNB L 1/2 8, L lift, R lift, move L foot clockwise to horse stance facing 6:00, R figure 8, R cross strike, R 1/2 8, R lift, L lift, L foot steps forward to 6:00 as you cover clockwise to 12:00 to RPS L figure 8, L lift, R lift, as you step through forward to LPS R figure 8, step through forward to RNB R cross strike, R lift, L lift as you step through forward to LNB L figure 8, L cross strike, L lift, R lift, R cross strike, R pass behind the back, L pass around the neck, R behind the arm, L lifting pass front, ready as R foot slides forward to horse stance.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions