Nunchaku Set 3

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What memory tips do you use for Nunchaku Set 3? The Nunchaku Sets 1 & 2 basically follow Lines 1 & 2, but NS3 differs from L3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Ceicei

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I don't know Nunchaku Set 1, but I certainly didn't know that there were 3.:confused:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ceicei

What memory tips do you use for Nunchaku Set 3? The Nunchaku Sets 1 & 2 basically follow Lines 1 & 2, but NS3 differs from L3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have never heard of Nunchaku Sets Two and Three. Are you studying / practicing Ed Parker's American Kenpo as outlined in the Infinite Insights books, or are you studying a hybrid system?

M

MisterMike

I would find out just who is teaching/made up the Nunchaku set and ask them.

I don't believe Mr. Parker ever made a Nunchaku Set. He may have been shown it by someone and gave it a nod, but most likely it just came out of the air and someone is trying to sell you on it.

:soapbox:

I have found that a lot of schools teach many different things to make up for the fact that they haven't mastered one.

I hope you find what you are looking for and share it back. Personally I would like to see a Nunchaku set. I think it is a beautiful weapon.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike

I don't believe Mr. Parker ever made a Nunchaku Set.

According to everyone I know there is an actual Nunchaku Set One.

I have asked many about this...

Dennis Conatser, Bryan Hawkins, Tommy Chavies, Wes Idol, Frank Trejo, to name a few... They all seem to agree that there is indeed a Nunchaku Set One.

It is also important for me to mention that while I do not know the enntire set myself, I have been exposed to it.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do follow Mr. Ed Parker's system (techniques, lines, and forms), but there are some additional techniques to round out our training. These include weapons and ground techniques (the latter I had mentioned in a different thread).

My instructor apparently does believe in a progressive approach and wants to give us more choices in being able to defend ourselves.

I can post the first nunchaku set if you are interested.

Please don't think that just because we aren't as "traditional" with our training that it invalidates Mr. Ed Parker's teachings or intent.

When Mr. Parker taught at Provo, Utah, he had emphasized to his students they needed to be flexible enough to adapt and change. Sometimes techniques, by necessity, may be tweaked because of situations when they are used and the sizes of the attacker/defender. Mr. Parker, while developing Kenpo, willingly changed techniques when his students as police officers reported to him what worked and what didn't.

- Ceicei

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Please don't think that just because we aren't as "traditional" with our training that it invalidates Mr. Ed Parker's teachings or intent.

I don't think there is anything invalid about experimenting with different things... But, if your instructor has changed the curriculum then I would call it your instructor's Kenpo System and not Ed Parker's. The name itself doesn't make what you're doing any more or less valid, unless there is a misrepresentation of the truth involved. I only think that there does need to be a distinction between what Mr. Parker did and what others do.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So are you suggesting that even when the base remain the same and just the mere addition of a few more techniques taught in the same format would dramatically alter the kenpo style?

I don't think kenpo was meant to be taught for the sake of tradition alone.
- Ceicei

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as long as the complete kenpo system is there, seems to me that they're doing Parker kenpo. She made it clear that the added portions were, in fact, not part of the original Parker system, so it seems like they're doing EPAK plus some other stuff, not other stuff INSTEAD of EPAK.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale

as long as the complete kenpo system is there, seems to me that they're doing Parker kenpo. She made it clear that the added portions were, in fact, not part of the original Parker system, so it seems like they're doing EPAK plus some other stuff, not other stuff INSTEAD of EPAK.

I know what was said thanks.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score

So are you suggesting that even when the base remain the same and just the mere addition of a few more techniques taight in the same format would dramatically alter the kenpo style?

I would say that additional information wouldn't hurt... If the base material is changed or deleted, then I would reconsider calling it Ed Parker's Kenpo. That's all. :asian:

D

dcence

You don't know anything until you learn Nunchaku Set #3. Wait until you get to Nunchaku Set #12. Man, that is some great stuff.

Seriously, the numchuks -- what a practical weapon. Right up there with the sai and the three section staff. Most people don't even practice hitting anything with it, doing their best Bruce Lee impersonation, only to learn that when they do try hitting something with it, it actually rebounds. Surprise, surprise.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill Lear
I know what was said thanks.

I was responding to Ceici's question of:

[would] just the mere addition of a few more techniques taught in the same format would dramatically alter the kenpo style?

my answer to her question was basically "with what she is doing, in my opinion, no."

I wasn't talking to you.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale

Thank you, Nightingale. Your words expressed better what I was trying to say.

- Ceicei

P.S. I will post the nunchuk sets 1 & 2 soon, probably by tomorrow.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by dcence
You don't know anything until you learn Nunchaku Set #3. Wait until you get to Nunchaku Set #12. Man, that is some great stuff.

Seriously, the numchuks -- what a practical weapon. Right up there with the sai and the three section staff. Most people don't even practice hitting anything with it, doing their best Bruce Lee impersonation, only to learn that when they do try hitting something with it, it actually rebounds. Surprise, surprise.

You're right, the chucks do re-bound, and can hurt if not aware of that point. That's why its important to follow through with the strikes completely instead of stopping at the point of contact (when rebounding happens) as many students tend to do.

To get the feel how nunchuks handle, we practice strikes on free-standing torso bags or dummies.

- Ceicei

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score

You're right, the chucks do re-bound, and can hurt if not aware of that point. That's why its important to follow through with the strikes completely instead of stopping at the point of contact (when rebounding happens) as many students tend to do.

To get the feel how nunchuks handle, we practice strikes on free-standing torso bags or dummies.

You are correct in you analyzation of how the Nunchaku work when flailing, but snapping them is also an effective way of striking without getting hit by a rebound.

Just a thought. :asian:

M

MisterMike

Since the Nunchaku Set 1 "exists," does anyone know who created it. I know a lot of the sets may not have been created by Mr. Parker, but were adopted and printed in the Infinite Insight series and Web of Knowledge. (Staff Set)

Also, why would Mr. Parker have included any weapons in his system? Kenpo is an open hand art. An American one at that, so why would he have created anything to work with Oriental weapons?

I practiced the original system and we didn't get into much of the Set "2's" or weapons sets. (I guess this reflects on my conservative nature as well :) ). But if Mr. Parker had anything to do with their creation, I'd be interested to see them. Otherwise I'm content on what I've learned so far.

Thanks,

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr Parker also included a staff set (or two??) and I believe a knife set, but I'm not sure about that last one.

D

dcence

You should see my Briefcase Set #1. It really helped on the way through downtown Vegas on the way to courthouse. The part where you hit the latch and the briefcase springs open and hits the guy in the head is a work of art.

Seriously, teach me to defend myself with anything I might find in my environment. A stick of any length (staff to pencil), a pocket knife, a briefcase, boombox, belt, shoe, etc. Don't burden me with knowledge of a weapon I am going to get arrested for just carrying, and will probably will never have in my environment anyway.

Yes, Kenpo is an empty hand art, but those empty hands are good for grabbing something and using it.

Latest Discussions