Nunchaku & Bo Katas

Discussion in 'Karate' started by tecboy, Aug 2, 2017.

1. tecboy

tecboy White Belt

I'm looking for YouTube videos or DVD to demonstrate nunchaku and Bo Katas. I can't find the right videos. Does anyone know? I'm studying Shotokan Karate.

2. DaveB

DaveB Black Belt

Shotokan as a rule has no bo kata though I think Kanazawa may have added some to his group.

Try looking for sho Shi no kun, I remember that being some people's starting kata.

3. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Blue Belt

4. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Shi shi no kun is long. Tokamine is for beginners usually.

5. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Grandmaster

And of course The usual good advice: if you are trying to learn these via video alone or as the primary method of instruction, you will have a lot of problems and it's better to shelve the idea and wait until you can find a good teacher. Mimicking the movement is easy, but doing it correctly and well, so that the kata is a good and effective training tool and not just a dance, is very unlikely through video instruction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tecboy

tecboy White Belt

I'm currently in the martial art school. I just have a hard time remember the moves. Watching videos are easier way to study.

7. Bill Mattocks

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Videos are a good supplement when you can get corrections from a qualified instructor in person as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tecboy

tecboy White Belt

I do get correction from qualified instructors. I can't practice at home if I can't remember.

9. Bill Mattocks

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Right, I was agreeing with you.

10. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Blue Belt

I don't know if you are referring to Shushi No Kon Sho or not but this is a standard beginner kata..as can be seen by the name.

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Master Black Belt

I always tell my students that this is what their notebook is for. If you don't have a notebook, then you need to get one. Spend some time after each class writing notes on what was practiced and correction received. It helps to cement it in your memory as well as giving you something to refer to later. Much better than video in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bill Mattocks

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Forgive me. I saw 'shi shi' by mistake. Our system has three bo kata. Tokamine is the first and simplest. Then Urashi, then Shi Shi.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Grandmaster

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with PGSMITH, a notebook is a valuable tool. Writing your own notes makes you think about and mentally process the material.

Another option would be to film your instructor doing the segment of the kata that you are working on, as you progress. Of course this assumes your instructor agrees to it.

One problem with finding a video of someone else doing the kata is that even tho it may be the same kata, there are bound to be differences from one lineage/school to another, in how it is done. That could cause you some confusion. So just be aware of that pitfall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tecboy

tecboy White Belt

Okay, I was not clear in the first time. Without a good martial art instructor, I'm just wasting my time watching videos, because I would be totally lost and confused. My instructor recommended me a DVD that I bough at amazon. It's really good, and I use it as a reference or study guide. I noticed there are very little differences from what I learned from my instructor and what I saw in DVD. My instructor is not nit picky if did a little differences, as long as I understand the form. I like the instructor who explains to me on certain forms and how these relate to history and eastern culture. For example, as I learned about Bo, the Bo was used to stear a little boat. The movement of steering with a Bo can be applied as blocking lower kick and poking someone's else foot. Of course, a good quailfied instructor is very important.

• Like Like x 1